Cracking noise - drivers door

MatiasMandango

A2OC Donor
Hi all, dealer carried out door repair last year (aluminium fatigue), and since then the drivers door makes a cracking noise when opened. Anyone any idea what this might be? Initially the dealer said it needs new hinges, but then also went on to say the repair kit doesn't allow as good adjustment due to the plates being bonded inside the door....

You do need to take the door card off, three screws, 2 found under the pull handle and 1 behind the tweeter grille, when they are out the card needs a good pull out and up as its hooked over the window runner, you will then find the nuts 2 8 or 10mm i think then just knock the pin out at the other end (do that bit first its easyer).
Hey Dan don't leave it to long to do this i left mine (drivers door) for about 6 months as it didn't seem that bad then one night it calapsed was unable to close or open the door it was stuck half way ( had to give it a bit of a slap ) then replaced it the next day, luckely i was doing it that day anyway with the door catch

Cheers Phil

PS i think they are about £15

check strap

Hi Didn't replace anything .Soon as door card was off i could see the two pop rivets had sheared off.Replaced with nuts and bolts.Better job hope this helps

Removing and installing door arrester
1 - Front door
2 - Door arrester
q Before removing first detach door trim and trim for A-pillar (bottom).
q To remove, unscrew hexagon nuts → Item and Torx bolts → Item. Then detach door arrester.
3 - Cover
q Pressed over pin of door arrester.
4 - Hexagon nut
q 10 Nm
5 - A-pillar.
6 - Torx bolts
q 21 Nm

This is what your hinge should look like after fettling

If you have the hinges done that is.......nothing to do with the check strap really

Had this fixed on my wife's A2 under warranty.

The day I picked it up (bear in mind it had been in for 2 days at Aberdeen Audi) the door 'cracked' on opening!:eek:

Apparently the first time they'd performed the repair - which seems very strange. As far as I'm aware there is a recall on this part?

Rebooked it to go back in to be fixed. A few months on and so far so good - and all seems well.

No, theres no recall on the door strap, but it is strange that they've never done one before, as it is common.

Cheers,

Mike

PS The possible recall you were thinking of is on the cracks in the fabric of the door panel, around the hinges, which is totally unconnected with the audible cracking you had. This is visible cracking, that you can see and feel.

This is getting worse on my car, need to act soon I think. Is it an easy job to DIY? I'm not sure what I'm looking at on the diagram?

This is getting worse on my car, need to act soon I think. Is it an easy job to DIY? I'm not sure what I'm looking at on the diagram?

Hi Dan is yours coming from the check strap (the bar from the door to A post)?, if yes very easy to replace and they are about £11 from dealer from what i remember.

Remove door card (3 screws), knock pin from A post (behind rubber boot) then remove 2 nuts 8 mm i think :rolleyes:, then reverse when putting it back on 20 mins tops (and that includes coffee:D)

Cheers Phil

Picture a few post's up is of door hinge not check strap

Honestly I don't know if it is the hinge or the checkstrap now - it's quite loud though!

I've just been quoted £56 for both front Check straps replacing while my car is in for the hinge repair.

Doesn't seem to expensive if they are £10-£15 Each just for the parts.

So Gilders have seen the light then?!

They're still trying to get some money out of your wallet though!

Cheers,

Mike

Yes I called Audi UK this morning they called Gilders and not 10 mins later Gilders where on the phone wanting to book my car in for the hinge repair.
I just thought seen as both my front door have the cracking noise might be as well to get them done while they are off and £56 doesn't seem overly expensive??

Back