Extreamly bad starting - Help

Crowley

Hi

My 1.4 TDi has suddenly developed problems when starting. It turns over for upto 30+ seconds before it fires into life and runs lumpy until it warms up....

It's had a recent fuel filter change. The car started fine (within the first couple of turns before the filter change)...

Audi have said it's the fuel pump in the tank and have just quoted £1200 to replace it but can't guarantee that this will solve the problem. So, I'll have to do it myself.

Help and advice would be much appriciated...

If it is the pump, can it be reconditioned? sould I be able to hear it prime? does anyone have a working spare if it is? Could this be something else...?

I suspect they've failed to fit the replacement fuel filter correctly since there weren't problems before that was changed. It's probably been mangled in the process and is letting in air.

yes, there's a screw in the filter setup that needs to be tightened to 2nm. Most people ignore the torque instructions - tight is tight, right? - and break the filter housing. That's where your air comes in.

The filter is - and I'll happily bet a case of beer on this - the source of the fault. Go back and ask them to do it again, this time following the torque recommendations.

- Bret

yes, there's a screw in the filter setup that needs to be tightened to 2nm. Most people ignore the torque instructions - tight is tight, right? - and break the filter housing. That's where your air comes in.
- Bret

Been there, done that £60 odd for a new filter housing plus the price of a torque wrench sorted it....lesson learned..the hard way :)

Well, Audi reckon they have checked the Filter and it’s fitted correctly. They are insisting it’s the fuel pump (although they won’t guarantee that that will solve the problem!!).

They want £580+VAT for the part and nearly £400 to fit it….. Errr NO, I don’t think so

I was quite happy to pay them a sensible price (initially estimated at £450 - £500) but £1200 is taking the micky. I feel completely ripped off.

So basically I’ve ended up with a £250 bill for changing the filter…
I’ve told them to stop, put it back together and I’ll remove the car.

So, does anyone have a spare pump that I can use to verify or eliminate the pump as the problem?
Can the pump bit be removed and replaced from the plastic housing?

The irony of it all…. My Range Rover Vogue has done the same thing… In-tank fuel pump packed in 10 days after the A2. It stopped on Monday, was recovered, diagnosed, fixed with a new pump and returned on Tuesday ----- £520 all in.

I’ve had 4 Audi’s but this will probably be the last one. I love the car but can’t love Audi…..

Damage to the filter drain screw or a cracked housing usually results in fuel leaks so you would either smell it or see diesel puddling under the car.
The parts price quoted is more likely to be for the combined fuel and vacuum pump unit fitted on the engine as the 'in tank' pump and level sender unit is much cheaper, possibly around the £130 mark.
I'd talk to the garage to clarify their diagnosis and check the price of the in tank unit

Cheers Spike

Damage to the filter drain screw or a cracked housing usually results in fuel leaks so you would either smell it or see diesel puddling under the car.
The parts price quoted is more likely to be for the combined fuel and vacuum pump unit fitted on the engine as the 'in tank' pump and level sender unit is much cheaper, possibly around the £130 mark.
I'd talk to the garage to clarify their diagnosis and check the price of the in tank unit

Cheers Spike

I'm sure they said the in-tank pump but now you've made me think. I'll ask and clarify.

Have they re-done the fuel filter and done it properly?

So they tell me.

Last edited:
Where are you physically located? I would recommend Stealth if you are on the M40 Oxfordshire/Warwickshire area, or A2Cars if you are on the M1 within striking distance of Milton Keynes.

Take a close look at the filter housing just in case they have cracked it.

Where are you physically located? I would recommend Stealth if you are on the M40 Oxfordshire/Warwickshire area, or A2Cars if you are on the M1 within striking distance of Milton Keynes.

Take a close look at the filter housing just in case they have cracked it.

I'm in the north east.....

Once I get the car back from Audi i'll be putting it into the garage and taking a damn good look at it........

Whilst arranging a lift to the garage to collect the car, they ring me saying it's ready anytime to pick up.

Conversation got around to the pump... after 2 weeks they are now telling me that the price is for the main dual pump thingy at the front on the side of the engine...

Hang on, I say, you've consistantly told me it's the pump in the fuel tank... No Sir, it's the main one at the front...

Talk about cheesed off.... I've totally lost faith in Audi. Thier diagnosis is suspect, thier customer service is taking the mickey and they're trying to rob me blind.

Need some help. Is there anyone that does know what they are doing with these things and is will to help me diagnose the correct fault? I live in the north east and am willing to travel within reason....

Please, someone .... heeeeelp

And so the saga continues..... Having replaced the Low Pressure pump Audi tell me that that wasn't the problem and that the cylinder head and injectors are ******ed.

Cost of repair..... £5671.00

Now the fun starts.

Thats terrible. You would think that Audi could diagnose something properly. Are they going to do the previous work for free?

Perhaps get the head reconditioned? Or a second hand replacement?

Back