FYI - Those wanting to install a 2010 RNS-E PU into an A2

craigyb

A2OC Donor
Ok, well some good news, when I was trying to get my reverse camera to work I had to buy an older rev B RNS-E PU unit to code for camera. All was working well with the camera, cangate, speed pulses coded as A4.

So after some discussions on other forums it seems that you can code these rev B units to A6 mode and allow them to use the speed pulse that the A2 provides.

So I can confirm you can install an RNS-E PU MY2010 unit into an A2 as long as it is a rev B or HW02, you can check the HW level from the CAR button.

The unit must be at SW0150 to allow coding to A6 mode and after that it can be upgraded to later software such as 0200 (2012) and 0220 (2013)

Strange thing is that now I have removed my cangate and coded to A6 to test my reverse camera has stopped working. :(

Thanks Craig for the all that valuable information that you regularly provide on this forum :)
(honestly, some others keep their knowledge for themselves...)

Funnily, i've just bought a Cangate module (a rare beast !!) in order to attempt the fitting of my MY2010 RNS-E...
So, I'm looking forward to your updates on this issues.

Regards,
Fabrice

Wow!
Does that mean it would also integrate with the DIS ok Craig?
Today I was about to start shaving down the edges on the Mk1 RNS-E I've got, I might change tack if that's the case.
Oh and Fabrice, well done on finding a Cangate!

Fixed the camera, just had to move the reverse wire directly to the RNS-E unit as the cangate is no longer generating reverse over can (as it no longer exists).

Yes it works with a DIS or I wouldn't have done it.

Spent the morning on the hunt, should I be buying this one? Looks like a revision B and running the right, old, software, but HW is 03 not 02. Non-starter?

PART NO: 8P0 035 193 B
Manufacture date is 30-01-2010
HW:H03
SW:0150

The RNS-E that I fitted to humpy last week-end is a 2010 build date.

Software version 650
Hardware version 072
Coded as an A6, wired into Bose and GALA, intergrates completely into the DIS.

I'm very happy with the result and it works fantastically well ... now for the bluetooth module ;).

At work now, I'll post some pics over the week-end from home.

blue skies
tony

Tony, as ever, amazing work! I did wonder what you were installing!
Looks like I will be needing to sell my Mk1 RNS-E before I've even fitted it and snare a MY2010 Mk2 version!

The RNS-E that I fitted to humpy last week-end is a 2010 build date.

Software version 650
Hardware version 072
Coded as an A6, wired into Bose and GALA, intergrates completely into the DIS.

I'm very happy with the result and it works fantastically well ... now for the bluetooth module ;).

At work now, I'll post some pics over the week-end from home.

blue skies
tony

Well I've found one and am buying it!
Going to have 2 RNS-E's fairly soon. Guess I'll sell the Mk1 version on Ebay unless someone wants it on here?

RNS-E build date does not mean anything, most labels on RNS-E units are faked or incorrect.

SW0650 is definitley a MK1 unit as the MK2 units only go as high as SW0220 at the moment.

RNS-E build date does not mean anything, most labels on RNS-E units are faked or incorrect.

SW0650 is definitley a MK1 unit as the MK2 units only go as high as SW0220 at the moment.

I'm not really fussed whether my unit is a MK1 or MKanything!
It's in, it works, I'm happy!

blue skies
tony

Im not really fussed about what you've fitted either, but there is some confusion about build dates with certain members and the only way to tell is to check the HW/SW build and then you know what you've bought or have.

Hey Craig

Thanks for the heads up!

However being a newbie and not an RNS-E expert i've got a few questions.
Does HW/SW mean HardWare/SoftWare? In which case HW02 could also be referred to as MK2.

The model number Dan quoted in his post #6 'PART NO: 8P0 035 193 B' is that an A3 HU, and is there enough space around the A3 head unit for a nice clean fit into the A2 console?
The top looks like it could leave slightly rounded corners, or have I got this all wrong.:eek:

"RNS-E build date does not mean anything, most labels on RNS-E units are faked or incorrect". Self explanatory!

Cheers.

Derek

I wouldn't go off the HW(Hardware) but knowing the highest levels of HW & SW are and also the MEDIA button are giveaways, The REV B units were very early 2009/10 units and didn't have gloss surrounds from the gloss surrounds from the factory, you may find one with a gloss surround (because someone has changed it).

So the following is generally true of MK2 units

1. On the lid of the RNS-E unit it will end in 193 and be marked RNS-E PU
2. It will have a MEDIA buton (in some cases people have used old A4/A6 faceplates and not swapped them from CD/TV)
3. The HW will be lower than 10 and the SW will be 0220 or lower
4. The MEDIA page looks different from the MK1 units with CD/TV buttons, CD's are laid out 1-6 in the display
5. The screen is sharper as it is LED and not LCD and has a higher resolution.
6. It should have chrome controls and a gloss black screen bezel. (post 2010 units had the gloss bezel)

In answer to your question regarding A3 units, yes the A3 can be cut down perfectly for the A2, my own unit is an A3 HW02.

Last edited:
Hi Craig,

Thanks for the quick response!
Your answer has made everything crystal clear.

And in the style of my favourite TV detective, ah! just one more thing...
Is it possible to downgrade the software to SW0150 to allow coding to A6 mode?

many thanks.

Derek

Blimey, just found a Cangate for sale. Do I buy it just in case?

You know you would be incomplete as a man if you don't. Sorry I mean as a man who has modded to the extreme.

Always nice to have one in the house, just in case...... You never know when you'll need one.

:D
Sorry, too little sleep, after watching qualification for the Aus GP

J

Back