Head Light Top mounting repair

depronman

A2OC Donor
I've been working on these for some time on and off, but it became a little more critical a few months ago because the ones made by Audi have become no longer available from the main deal / TPS.

The LH side still appears to be available on ebay at the moment but for how long no one knows, but the RH side is again no longer available even on ebay.

It has been really difficult to model the part in CAD, many days work have gone into these as well as some 15+ test prints followed by a tweak to the CAD model then print again, rinse and repeat until I was happy with the finished results.

The print needs to be done at a low layer height and slow speed due to the intricate design

They are attached to the head light with two small self-tapping screws in the mounts that already exist in the headlight (it’s almost as though the head light design was originally meant to have the mount as a separate part, and then Hella decided to mould the mount as part of the head light back).
I am proposing to offer these for sale to members as I hate to see otherwise good head lights go to landfill because of a broken top mounting. My MOT man picked up on a broken clip on one of my own head lights stating that the head light was loose without the top clip, we super glued it whilst in the MOT bay and it worked (MOT passed) but did not last very long.
If there is sufficient demand I will get a stock of the correct size self-tapping screws and supply the clip with the two self-tappers.
Pictures below of the LH clip the RH is also available

Audi part numbers 8Z0998121L & 8Z0998121R

Price
Single repair piece either LH (near side) or RH (off side) £20
Pair of repair pieces ie one of the LH and RH £35
Delivery at cost estimating £2 but will depend on Royal Mail

Attachments

• IMG-5146.jpg
    IMG-5146.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 121
  • IMG-5147.jpg
    IMG-5147.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 116
  • IMG-5148.jpg
    IMG-5148.jpg
    492.4 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG-5149.jpg
    IMG-5149.jpg
    516.1 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG-5150.jpg
    IMG-5150.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG-5151.jpg
    IMG-5151.jpg
    548 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Oh this is a good one Paul, I struggled to find a drivers side repair kit when I needed one and I paid £25, so it’s worth the effort I’d say. Best of luck with it.

Oh this is a good one Paul, I struggled to find a drivers side repair kit when I needed one and I paid £25, so it’s worth the effort I’d say. Best of luck with it.

When where you able to buy the drivers side (I’m assuming marked as RH) repair kit?
I was advised by both Tps and Audi main dealer a couple of months ago that the RH one is no longer available and this was also backup up by an eBay search that only turned up the LH side (to be fair I did not asked Tps or the main dealer for the LH side repair piece as I only had a need for the RH side)
Cheers. Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The same ebay seller who is selling the left kit (passenger side) was also selling the right kits quite a while ago. I bought a right kit (drivers side) from them, which is now long since sold out, and I think Dj_efk bought a right kit from them too......

Good effort on your part Paul but worth a mention that sometimes the remnants of the old bracket have to be cut away/shaved off, with something similar to a modelling knife, so there is a flush top surface for a new fit. 👍

Last edited:
I've been working on these for some time on and off, but it became a little more critical a few months ago because the ones made by Audi have become no longer available from the main deal / TPS.

The LH side still appears to be available on ebay at the moment but for how long no one knows, but the RH side is again no longer available even on ebay.

It has been really difficult to model the part in CAD, many days work have gone into these as well as some 15+ test prints followed by a tweak to the CAD model then print again, rinse and repeat until I was happy with the finished results.

The print needs to be done at a low layer height and slow speed due to the intricate design

They are attached to the head light with two small self-tapping screws in the mounts that already exist in the headlight (it’s almost as though the head light design was originally meant to have the mount as a separate part, and then Hella decided to mould the mount as part of the head light back).
I am proposing to offer these for sale to members as I hate to see otherwise good head lights go to landfill because of a broken top mounting. My MOT man picked up on a broken clip on one of my own head lights stating that the head light was loose without the top clip, we super glued it whilst in the MOT bay and it worked (MOT passed) but did not last very long.
If there is sufficient demand I will get a stock of the correct size self-tapping screws and supply the clip with the two self-tappers.
Pictures below of the LH clip the RH is also available

Price
Single repair piece either LH (near side) or RH (off side) £20
Pair of repair pieces ie one of the LH and RH £35
Delivery at cost estimating £2 but will depend on Royal Mail
Very intricate! FairPlay that’s great effort for us all to benifit from!

The same ebay seller who is selling the left kit (passenger side) was also selling the right kits quite a while ago. I bought a right kit (drivers side) from them, which is now long since sold out, and I think Dj_efk bought a right kit from them too......

Good effort on your part Paul but worth a mention that sometimes the remnants of the old bracket have to be cut away/shaved off, with something similar to a modelling knife, so there is a flush top surface for a new fit.

Yes good point I removed the remains of the broken clip with a junior hacksaw as the bottom of the plastic was quiet thick
I will have black filament by mid week so any ordered will be in black as against the grey in the photos as this will better match the original head light backs

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back