In need of a complete exhaust system! Please help!

Fredrik

Hi everyone!

I've been looking around on various web sites for an exhaust, and was referred to this great forum by Sarge! (thank you Sarge for the tip!)
It is wonderful to see that there's a dedicated web site for us A2 owners! Just love it!
I'm a proud A2 owner living in Norway! Thank you for letting me be a part of this community!

Let me tell you my story:
In 2016 I bought my 2005 model A2 and gave her the name Trudy Bob!
As I was lucky enough to get an A2 with the 89hk Tdi, my immediate plan was to fix her up to be my daily driver for years;
dampers, shocks, tires, wheel bearings, brake pads, calipers, abs-module, clutch and the suspension arms. Even the wiper blade arm has been replaced!

Two wonderful years go by when suddenly the exhaust cooler cracks! The car goes into limp-home-mode.
I managed to limp her over to the nearest Audi dealership.
Audi Stavanger tried to fix it, but in the process broke three of the bolts holding the exhaust cooler.
In order for the workshop to resolve the issue, I was told it would be an engine-out job, which would be very expensive, and not a guaranteed success.
It was not recommended to start the engine as some parts where not mounted back properly; the egr-valve had been removed.
My A2 was then pushed on a car trailer and parked in a locked garage due to my financial situation.

Fast forward to October 2020:
About a month ago I finally got a mechanic to change the exhaust cooler, when I get a call from him;
"When will you come over with the exhaust?"
Apparently Audi Stavanger removed my exhaust when previously trying to fix my car, and it seems like they forgot to put it back on.
Had the car been able to start when I picked her up two years ago, I most likely would have noticed the missing exhaust.
So I visited Audi Stavanger and explained the situation, asking if they maybe could do something to help me out. The reply I got was shocking but somewhat expected:
"It's been too long. There is nothing we can do for you. But you can buy a new exhaust if you would like. It's 2400 pounds"
I politely declined and left the dealership with tears in my eyes.

So now I ask if there is anyone here who knows where I can get a used complete exhaust system for my dear Trudy Bob?
It would need to be shipped to Stavanger, Norway.
The parts I am in need of is from the part that is mounted on the turbo and all the way to the back, including all mounting hardware.
According to my mechanic the part number for the front pipe catalytic converter is 8Z0254500HX. The last part of the exhaust I do not have a number for, but I could probably get the number if needed. Searching the internet I found a part number that might be the correct one: 8Z0253609S.
The engine code for my A2 is ATL.

I look forward hearing from you all!

Attachments

• IMG_2276 jpeg.jpg
    IMG_2276 jpeg.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 217
Hi, This has been in my watch list for ages.

Thank you for the quick reply!
I looked at this ad yesterday, and it seems the part number is incorrect.

Attachments

• exhaust Audi A2.jpg
    exhaust Audi A2.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 236
I’m looking for a Genuine System for our 2003 1.4 SE Petrol, especially the 2 Catalytic Converters. Rob at WOM Automotive is looking for me as well, I hope.

Comparing the images on the link you sent me to the picture I posted, they look slightly different on the front pipe.
But I do appreciate your enthusiasm!

Of course. I haven't seen a TDI90 exhaust like the one in your image at all, unfortunately I have seen a few. Your image is for illustration purposes only, do bear this in mind.

Of course. I haven't seen a TDI90 exhaust like the one in your image at all, unfortunately I have seen a few. Your image is for illustration purposes only, do bear this in mind.
Thank you for the information! I will contact the dealership tomorrow and ask for a correct picture of the exhaust system for my car.
When searching online for an exhaust system I found multiple pictures of different exhaust layouts.
I do want to make sure that I purchase a correct system, as it would be money poorly spent if it doesn't fit.

That image isn’t right my tdi 90 exhaust does not look like this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you happen to have the ATL engine code?
I'm not sure if the different engine codes have different layouts, but I will be contacting the dealership tomorrow for an answer regarding the parts numbers on the exhaust in the advert.
By the way; according to the advert, the seller in Nottingham has a pick-up only option.

>>Do you happen to have the ATL engine code?
>>I'm not sure if the different engine codes have different layouts,

The exhaust flange on the VNT turbo used for the ATL is different to the wastegate turbo flange on the AMF and BHC.

AMF / BHC look like the diagram image above - 4 bolts, slightly wonky rectangle shape. These use a gasket with this part number : 1H0 253 115 A
1604849152322.png

ATL has a circular central hole with a rounded pseudo-triangular 3-bolt flange plate attaching turbo to exhaust. The corresponding gasket has this part number : 3A0 253 115. This is not depicted on the A2 exploded parts diagram.

1604849189783.png

@Fredrik

This is what I have:

IMG_20201108_173853.jpg

IMG_20201108_173825.jpg

IMG_20201108_173758.jpg

It's a genuine ATL exhaust..... At least the first piece coming from the turbo.
You see the turbo also pictured, together with an oil feed line.
It's coming from my crashed ATL, and the idea was to install it to my current AMF.
Thanx to government rules this is not going to happen I guess (AMF is euro3 and are banned from cities here in Holland).
If you add a piece of pipe to it and add the rest (back box) from an AMF exhaust, you should be fine.....

So, I don't want to get rid of it voluntarily, but for the right price you're welcome to have it. Don't know about shipping costs to Norway, but willing to figure it out.

Cheers, Menno.

Welcome @Fredrik , I hope you will find this Forum as useful and helpful as I have ?

Some of a story you have been trough.

Rear silencer : 7zap seems to state that 2005 ATL cars use same rear silencer as AMF and BHC : ATL rear silencer

Downpipe: I have five A2's but none of them are ATL so I cannot just look at them an give you the right answer wrt correct downpipe.
The design of the downpipe is not so clear from the illustrations: I am suspicion towards that your downpipe should have the additional CAT seen in the red ring.
As others have mentioned; the turbo for ATL is not used by any other A2 diesels so you cannot use any of the other downpipes., due to that the outlet flange is different.

A2 ATL dobbel cat exhaust m ring.jpg

Last edited:
@Fredrik

This is what I have:

View attachment 72689

View attachment 72690

View attachment 72691

It's a genuine ATL exhaust..... At least the first piece coming from the turbo.
You see the turbo also pictured, together with an oil feed line.
It's coming from my crashed ATL, and the idea was to install it to my current AMF.
Thanx to government rules this is not going to happen I guess (AMF is euro3 and are banned from cities here in Holland).
If you add a piece of pipe to it and add the rest (back box) from an AMF exhaust, you should be fine.....

So, I don't want to get rid of it voluntarily, but for the right price you're welcome to have it. Don't know about shipping costs to Norway, but willing to figure it out.

Cheers, Menno.
Good morning!
I am very interested!
I just got confirmed from the Audi dealership that the flange is a 3 bolt connection.
Based on the price for the complete exhaust in Nottingham, would you consider 100 euros pluss shipping?
Best regards
Fredrik

@Fredrik
- if you buy a used downpipe, I would strongly recommend that you ask for the flexipart to be strongly supported during shipment.
My experience is that the downpipe and cat last "forever" though the first thing to brake is the flexi. It can be repaired but it is demanding to get it welded in correct angle and location. The bet is to get it tack welded while fitted to the car but that implement a fire hazard and a risk of damage the car.

Mounting brackets - There was an advert on finn.no for an A2 sold in pieces in Sandnes, most of these brackets you need are aluminium cast and they last forever and should not be a problem to buy as used parts.

Aftermarked rear silencer : If you can accept aftermarked rear silencer it seems like you can get one for around 110£ delivered to Stavanger.
A2 ATL rear silencer supp list.JPG

You probably know already that there are very few ATL's in Norway so to find used parts here is probably close to impossible....

Good luck ?
dieselfan

Good morning!
I am very interested!
I just got confirmed from the Audi dealership that the flange is a 3 bolt connection.
Based on the price for the complete exhaust in Nottingham, would you consider 100 euros pluss shipping?
Best regards
Fredrik

PM send.

Kind regards,

Menno.

Most if not all of the ATL Exhaust systems I have seen are one piece with no join. Much like the one I originally linked.

Regards, Mike

Back