iPod

Hi, Pioneer iPod adaptor and locate the pod i glovecompartment away from site. Works excellent.

Jossi

The Dension ice>Link is good. A version for iPod Nano is available, according to Dension's website.
http://www.dension.com/icelink.htm
Allows integration with standard head unit. The iPod is pretending to be a CD changer so CDs 1-5 on the "changer" correspond to your first 5 playlists on the iPod. Track skip fwd & back work as you would expect.

Works well, takes 10 mins to fit. You'll need the radio removal tools, available from www.vagparts.com (among others).

And today a helpful fitting guide has appeared: http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?p=28081

Cheers, Richard.

Last edited:
Cool! Thanks for that. Getting sick of changing the CD caddy every few days. Is that lazy or what?

Instructions seem good, just might give it a go - and I'm a girl!!!

How does it sound? Is the quality good?

does the lce link kit from denision, come with all the bits?

I've a 3rd gen ipod, and I like what jimbo has done, in the gallery ipod on a bracket... is the bracket part of the kit, or is it an extra bit to buy?

*** just seen on cooltopia... it's a £15 add on....

bba

iPod Video + Sat Nav Plus

Q: I wonder if it is possible to hook-up an iPod video to the Sat Nav Plus TV box?

I'm overseas for a while but as soon as I get back home this is my first chore.

Before I got the dension I did toy with modifying the ipod dock. This would have fitted in to one of the cup holders perfectly with the gubbins removed.
This would then give a line out and an s-video out. my plan was to hardwire an ipod car charger to the dock connecter and have all the wiring completely hidden and the ipod slots straight into to the dock when the cupholder is opened.
Not sure what size the new dock for the video ipod is but might be worth checking.
You can get adapters that provide line in via the changer plug to handle the audio and I presume the TV box has a standard video in plug.

Alfa: the fitting guide mentions the different options Ben and myself used. The bracket ben used makes cable running easier whereas the one I used places the ipod higher and out of the way of passengers legs. I prefer the placement of mine but needed the move the dock out slightly to clear the cupholder and volume knob, originally I squashed the cable in the side of the radio aperture, fearing this would damage the cable I have since rerouted this down and under the bottom of the centre binnacle. Doesn't look quite as good but better for the cable I think

Last edited:
Just seen this in an Apple mag, looks very nice, £149 all in, looks like it will connect either through a wired ariel or aux connections.

http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/default2.aspx

K9501682_small.jpg

ps: watch the video on the website, the "death cab for cutie" one...its hilarious!! :D

I was looking at the Karmen one yesterday in Halfords, £150.00 fitted. Looks kinda cool ;)
Picking my A2 up tomorrow,fingers crossed. 51 plate, its got the standard radio cassette.Thinking of changing the head unit but I've got a Clarion cd boot changer from my Pug 206, will this fit the Audi head unit ?? may save me some money I was thinking.
Deffo going to get the iPod attachment,either the denison or may just go for the Karmen one now I've seen the website.

Phil.....Sick of waiting to collect my A2 :mad:

Although there is a "lite" dension which connects through FM the one I've got uses the changer port. You might be able to get an adapter for your changer but not with the dension as well.
I'd not seem the HK adapter. looks nice but after a recent spate of burglaries from cars at work, they were going for cars with GPS cradles in, in the hope that idiots had left the GPS unit under the seat or in the glove box. The dension blends in to the black interior well and is nice and discreet so you can't see it from outside.

Thats what bothers me, original idea is to have the ipod holder in the glovebox.Thing with the Karmen one is, people will see the display on the dash and know its for iPod. You cannot win.Agree with the sat-nav holders, but what other way round it ? Any ideas. Someone broke into my sons 206 2 nights ago,damaged the door around the lock, got past the deadlocks and the alarm went off. They got nothing,but caused X number of pounds worth of damage.

Whatever add-on you have,its visible to show there's something worth nicking :mad:

I've got a toss up between getting cruise control fitted or an i-pod connector. As I'm getting an i-pod as a pressie soon I guess it'll be the i-pod link for now and the cruise later.

As far as I can see each option has got its pros and cons:

Harmon Kardon

pros
*good display and full control of I-pod
*Halfords are currently offering free fitting

cons
*display and controller realistcally can only be stuck on (unless you're happy with them drilling into your dash etc). This means they could be knocked loose quite easily or easily stolen.
*really can't see where the controller could go that would make it easy to use whilst driving and out of the way of getting knocked by movement in the cabin.

Also it looks from the wiring diagram that its only connectable through the FM reciever, what would this mean for sound quality?

Dennison Ice Link

pros
*Discreet mounting
*CD direct input= best quality sound
*secure mounting that doesn't require drilling the dash

cons
*apart from top five albums no total control of I-pod so would have to fiddle with it whilst driving

Any other thoughts?

Cheers

alexm

Never realised the Karmen went thro the FM reciever :mad: I have one I use now,the iTrip, works well but not such great quality I'm afraid.
May have to rethink this one.....could be the Pioneer DEH-P70BT with iPOD adaptor methinks.As I said,its only drawback is the blue display,will bug me its not red to match.Lovely unit tho.

Edit: it can be hard wired into the AUX socket.
Anyone know the cost of the Audi radio/cd ?

Last edited:
SantfeKuss said:
Never realised the Karmen went thro the FM reciever :mad: I have one I use now,the iTrip, works well but not such great quality I'm afraid.

Sorry,

think I've mislead you there, meant that it plugs into the 'FM in' on the back of the head unit. Halfords told me thats how they'd fit it. The wiring diagram on the web also shows its got audio left and right if the head units compatible.
See http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/diagram.aspx.

Cheers

I think that harmon/kardon ipod adapter may be going in my car next, just got to work out where to mount the controller

I've ordered the new Alpine cda 9850 Ri. 2006 model, ipod ready, no need for the adaptor as it just plugs directly in the back. Red illumination to match, track names/folders/band names etc displayed on the screen. Getting it tomorrow, will let you know what its like.

And I picked up my A2 tonight :) ..... Love it !!!

Back