Maintenance cost advise wanted before buying

Ole-dk

I am about to buy a A2 1.2TDI 3l or a A2 1.4TDI,
but are concerned about parts prices and reliabillity.

1:- Is the 1.2 engine, gearbox, gearselector, supsension and brake parts its own and only avaiable as genuine part ?

2:- Is the 1.4 parts available in both genuine and aftermarket parts ex. the same as in Polo ?

I prefer the 1.2 but are concerned about the maintenancecost (normal wear parts, suspension, gearbox diaster or engine disaster) .

Best regards
Ole-dk

I am about to buy a A2 1.2TDI 3l or a A2 1.4TDI,
but are concerned about parts prices and reliabillity.

1:- Is the 1.2 engine, gearbox, gearselector, supsension and brake parts its own and only avaiable as genuine part ?

2:- Is the 1.4 parts available in both genuine and aftermarket parts ex. the same as in Polo ?

I prefer the 1.2 but are concerned about the maintenancecost (normal wear parts, suspension, gearbox diaster or engine disaster) .

Best regards
Ole-dk

Hi Ole, welcome to the A2oc

The 1.2 driveline and some of the running gear is shared with the Lupo 3L. Both cars are relatively rare so there is not many aftermarket parts available. Main problem sems to be that even Audi are no experts on troubleshooting problems, the transmission in particular.
Have a look at this link for some of the related threads - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/search.php?searchid=795383
If you have some mechanical skills and are prepared to do a lot of research then don't be put off as they are quite reliable and there is nothing else like it

The 1.4 TDi shares engine, transmission and some running gear with the Polo but again there are not may aftermarket parts available. More info on buying and owning an A2 here -
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4309

Cheers Spike

The main problem with the 1.2 is, as Spike suggests, the diagnostic system, which is not really up to the job. Most mechanical parts are shared with the Lupo 3L, with the exception of the gear lever and tyres. It is much more reliable, in my experience, than it's reputation suggests.

RAB

Thank You for the answers

Hello, Thank you for the answers.

I do have some "mechanical skills and are prepared to do a lot of research" .
I have read, that the 1.2 Gearbox / gearselector only last for aprox 200.000 km, which wories me, if it is not possible to find a secondhand, and You have to buy a new genuine expensive gearbox.
But you write, that both 1.2 and 1.4 is reliable. So I think, that I do not have to wory that much.

It seems, that diagnostic equipment is neccesary.
Is there any diagnostic software (read faults, reset faults, read settings, write settings, testing etc.), which is ok or at the same level as the dealers, or even better.

This question, because I have a 1995 Range Rover 4.6 HSE with 7 computers, and bought a diagnostic equipment "faulmate" to be able to deal with it, which is better than the dealers.
BUT Blackbox-solutions.com (who make the Faultmate) do not supply the software for the Audi A2.

Ross Tech is the leader in VW / Audi diagnostics as it mimics the factory kit. Their cables are expensive but the software and updates are free - http://ross-tech.com/
Its also worth looking on e.bay for elsawin workshop manuals and ETKA parts discs

Cheers Spike

The 1.2 gearbox is just a lightened (hollow shafts etc) manual box, so there is no reason why it should have a short life unless neglected. I have read on www.Lupo3LClub.com that over 90% of gangsteller replacements are unnecessary, mostly I suspect because of VAG's inadequate diagnostics (at least as far as the 1.2Tdi is concerned). To illustrate the point, when I had my clutch renewed, my local Audi garage put an almost new (about 10km) clutch actuator in their skip. I managed to get them to rescue it (just in time apparently!) and it's been in the car ever since!

There are also plenty of discarded FLE and DSK gearboxes and actuators on Ebay, possibly discarded for similar reasons.

RAB

Hello Rab and Spike
RAB:
Thank You very much for a very interesting answer.

SPIKE:
I have been looking at Ross-tech.
it looks good. Shareware registered version seems to be able to do a lot, but do You know if the full version can handle the triptronic and other A2 specific things ?

By the way, I can not find a brochure covering both 1.2 TDI and 1.4 TDI.
Just to be sure, do 1.2 TDI 3l and 1.4-1.4TDI-1.6FSI have the same body.

best regards
Ole

no, the 3l is lighter by about 15kg. The form is the same / similar, but minimal changes are made to make the 3l possible. Read the english Wikipedia article on the A2, it's correct and as well researched as I can make it without breaking promises made to Audi Engineers.

Bret

no, the 3l is lighter by about 15kg. The form is the same / similar, but minimal changes are made to make the 3l possible. Read the english Wikipedia article on the A2, it's correct and as well researched as I can make it without breaking promises made to Audi Engineers.

Bret

I think you'll find it's more than 15kg. The 1.2 aluminium block will account for the 15kg alone.

RAB

the 15kg is for the shell alone, never mind anything else.

Which to my mind shows the level of determination with which Audi headed for their goal...

Bret

Hello Rab and Spike
RAB:
Thank You very much for a very interesting answer.

SPIKE:
I have been looking at Ross-tech.
it looks good. Shareware registered version seems to be able to do a lot, but do You know if the full version can handle the triptronic and other A2 specific things ?

By the way, I can not find a brochure covering both 1.2 TDI and 1.4 TDI.
Just to be sure, do 1.2 TDI 3l and 1.4-1.4TDI-1.6FSI have the same body.

best regards
Ole

Hi Ole
I'm sure the full version (Ross Tech) can handle everything you need for any A2 model. RAB is our resident expert on the 3L so maybe he can confirm this.

The A2 3L was never released as a rhd model for the UK market so there are no english sales brochures

More info on the differences with the 1.2 tdi in this post - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showpost.php?p=49338&postcount=2

Cheers Spike

Maybe, but it has done everything I have required of it (sometimes eventually!) but like the VAG system, it cannot diagnose a failing accumulator. It is common practice with hydraulics to recharge or replace accumulators so they should have foreseen the problem. There is a pressure sensor in the hydraulic pump unit but it seems to only act as a switch, whereas the system should alarm when the system cannot achieve a certain pressure. So it is more a fault built into the car.

RAB

the 15kg is for the shell alone, never mind anything else.

Which to my mind shows the level of determination with which Audi headed for their goal...

Bret

If you look at ETKA there would seem to be no difference apart from options and the Lear rear seat in the 3L only (not the 3.2L).

RAB

ETKA does not tell everything. There is a presentation by the engineers themselves talking about specific weight reduction opportunities taken and design aims. That's what happens when the German club has very tight connections back to Audi....THe SSPs also show the level of obsessiveness ("the deep drilling alone saves 1kg") which is only a good thing. We were allowed a copy of the presentation in good faith and it remains in the club member only area of the German forum.

The comment about 15kg was reported here: http://www.a2-freun.de/forum/showpost.php?p=795935&postcount=223

Bret

Maybe, but it has done everything I have required of it (sometimes eventually!) but like the VAG system, it cannot diagnose a failing accumulator. It is common practice with hydraulics to recharge or replace accumulators so they should have foreseen the problem. There is a pressure sensor in the hydraulic pump unit but it seems to only act as a switch, whereas the system should alarm when the system cannot achieve a certain pressure. So it is more a fault built into the car.

RAB

I was thinking about this on the way to work. To be fair to VW/Audi, this is a tricky problem. At some low pressure point the pump switches on and at a high pressure point the pump will switch off. However as the nitrogen is slowly lost, the same will happen but there will be less hydraulic power in reserve and the pump will run more frequently. At some point a fault should be raised but when and how?

RAB

I can't remember the specifics but it's also to do with climate, PAS and a couple of other bits which raise the consumption above the then magic 3l mark.

Bret

As a slight aside, how much does a 3.2 weigh compared to a 3l?

I believe a 3.2L with all possible options was 930kg empty and a 3L (almost no options) was 825kg. There were intermediates though - Gaff had a 3.2L without PAS. A 3.2L could also have standard seats (930kg).

RAB

Bret

There are a few inaccuracies in the 1.2 Tdi Section:

1). Standard seats were an option for the 3.2.
2). As the name implies, ECO mode is the most economical, so should there not be a mention of the clutch being released with the accelerator, instead of the incorrect 'The car had an automated manual transmission which had a Tiptronic mode and a clutch which engaged when the accelerator pedal was released for maximum economy.'?
3). 1999 should read 2001 for the A2. 1999 is correct for the Lupo 3L.
4). The AYZ engine was never used on the A2 1.2Tdi, which used the ANY exclusively. The only difference, I believe, between the two is the throttle arrangement, so an AYZ could be used but only by changing the throttle, which would make it an ANY. The AYZ was introduced at about the same time as the first A2 1.2Tdi but was used exclusively in the Lupo 3L.

RAB

Back