Missing oil level information in the VCDS measurement blocks

Joga

A2OC Donor
Hi
This is about a 2001 1.4 petrol (actually the S H E car but as this issue could be a general problem I start this separate thread) .
My concern here is that the engine oil level information seems not available when I via VCDS check Instrument, measuring block 4.
In all other aspects this is a normally functioning car driven every day.
I changed the oil level/temperature sensor today for a new Hella sensor, hoping this would change things but no.
The information was missing before the sensor change and still is.
Is this a known issue, e.g. for early cars?
I should mention that when I do this check on my 2003 1.4 petrol the three oil level related fields of block 4 is populated with relevant information.
_20230114_172436.JPG

Last edited:
Yes I did a service reset recently when I did an oil service.
(but the zeros in block 12 was a bit puzzling, the service was done a week ago).

The car may need to perform a few cycles to settle everything down before it gives values for the servicing. Drive it for another week or so then recheck in VCDS, but nothing to worry about as yet.

You think there is a connection between the fact that it was serviced recently and the three missing oil level related informations?

Yes. Until the car has been driven the various sensors will not be sending relevant information to the "computer". The change of the oil level sensor may also be slowing down the reset.

Do you have a mileage to next service in the dash display yet?

Yes. Until the car has been driven the various sensors will not be sending relevant information to the "computer". The change of the oil level sensor may also be slowing down the reset.

Do you have a mileage to next service in the dash display yet?
At startup the dash display (small one) only shows a yellow OK and then the stationary ambient temp. Nothing else.

Last edited:
This is funny, I looked around at the german forum a2freun.de and found a thread which based on inputs from a number of owners gives strong indication that early 1.4 petrol (2000 and 2001) are not able to show any data in those three fields in block 4. So I guess I will have to live with it.

Your 2001 car is AUA, 2003 is BBY, right?
Different ECU, so different options to display.
If I will have access to my AUA today, I will check if it shows the oil level, but I think on AUA engine is not available.

Last edited:
Your 2001 car is AUA, 2003 is BBY, right?
Different ECU, so different options to display.
If I will have access to my AUA today, I will check if it shows the oil level, but I think on AUA engjne is not available.
My 2003 is a BBY, but whether the car is a BBY or AUA appears less relevant than when it was produced. But of course all BBYs are late (-r) cars.
In fact the parts involved in the oil level supervision functionality do not even involve the engine ecu, the sensor is wired to the instrument ecu (cluster).
Your car is an early car?
Would definitely be interesting to hear if this works there.

Yes, my car AUA 2000.
Interesting. But I would be quite shocked that Audi changed just the wiring/information display of one sensor withouth changing also other things as engine type, etc.
Are you sure that this info is not connected/passed also to ECU, because oil pressure/temperature for me is an important info, that ECU also needs to take into account.

Yes, my car AUA 2000.
Interesting. But I would be quite shocked that Audi changed just the wiring/information display of one sensor withouth changing also other things as engine type, etc.
Are you sure that this info is not connected/passed also to ECU, because oil pressure/temperature for me is an important info, that ECU also needs to take into account.
I have the Audi schematics and know how to read them (this might bite me back) and see that the sensor output only connects to the instrument. (Whether the data is then transmitted to the engine ecu over CAN is hard to know.)
Oil pressure is not related to this sensor btw.

Reactions: mtl
If I am not mistaken 2000-2002 cars do not have CAN.
So, with CAN the major change has happen and I would suspect that coincided together with AUA to BBY migration and this info available.
I will check on my car in a few hours.

Is there something wrong with the oil dipstick?
If you unsure of the amount of oil in the engine, you'd probably shouldn't drive until that's sorted, or lower/higher levels might cause further issues.

I have checked and on my AUA 2000, I have the same (non) values as @Joga

I can confirm on my 2001 AUA I do see values populated for oil levels via block 4 (17 Instruments) using either VCDS Lite and my newly acquired XTool VAG401

J
So that means that my theory is not correct.

Is it maybe connected with a different part nr. or FW nr. of the modules?
Here are mine:
2023-01-15 17_27_34-Settings.jpg

2023-01-15 17_26_08-VCDS Release 22.10.0_ 01-Engine,  Open Controller (036-906-034-APE.LBL).jpg

Last edited:
Hi @mtl

Happy New Year to you. That maybe the case, I think your AUA may be slightly older than mine so it is reasonable to assume perhaps module version may be a factor here. I will pull the details for my instrument cluster and main ecu

J

Reactions: mtl
Back