Multiple brake warning lights and dealers

2max4fun

Hi!. I am a fairly new A2 owner in a spot of bother. Shortly after getting the car, I started to get ABS, Brake and Handbrake warning lights coming on. After the ignition is switched off, this goes - for a while. The local Audi dealer had the car for a week for diagnosis and (expensive) repair but the fault returned. They have recently had it for another two days, reset some codes and told me to monitor the fault. The brakes seem to be OK but the warranty will soon be ended and there seems to be no resolve. The car is a 2001 1.4 petrol with 27000 miles. Can anybody advise?

Hi 2max4fun, welcome to the A2oc.
From your description i'm not quite clear if you mean all 3 warning lights come on together (circle with exclaimation mark, circle with ABS and part circle with triangle) If so then it could be a problem with the Electronic Brake Pressure Distribution module which is integral with the ABS system. It will be an expensive unit so i'm guessing the garage would be reluctant to change it if their diagnosis is not conclusive. Whatever the fault turns out to be, ask the to put in writing that it will be fixed, even if the warranty has expired.
If you'r due a MOT test soon, it will fail if any of the brake warning lights come on while they are checking the brakes.

Cheers Spike

Thanks for the welcome

And thanks for the advice. Yes, all three lights are coming on at once. I don't have the job receipt as it went to the warranty company but I do have the Vehicle Self Diagnosis sheet they gave me which names "00812 Brake Pressure Release Solenoid -F84-" as the fault. This is the expensive repair they have already done and the warranty company, understandably, won't pay for the same repair twice. Since then, they have had the car for another two days during which they reprogrammed the sensors. Also tested for a fault in the pedal sensor. They did not charge me for this and left it as "customer to monitor". Last time it happened, I drove it into the garage with the fault showing but they still don't know what it is. With all these problems, I want to renew the warranty but I'm worried that the company won't want to know.

Latest

The local dealer is taking it in for a couple of days next week to try to solve the problem. Will let you know the outcome.

Latest try at fixing the problem

This time the garage replaced sections of wiring to the breaks. So far so good.

Not again!!!

It would seem that all of the above have not cured the brake warning light fault. Is there anything else worth trying? The garage want it back in but I think they are stumped as well. Any advice would be appreciated:

Hi
The F84 (same as F83) brake recognition switch is part of the brake servo and not replaceable as a separate part. The assy is about £400 plus a similar ammount for labour so its the last thing anyone would want to change. Ref the attached link, other people have fixed this fault by replacing the brake master cylinder and 2 brake pressure sender units (think they screw into the underside of the master cylinder.
http://www.ilexa.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,12221.0.html
You could print this off and show it to your garage

Cheers Spike

I know it's seemingly unrelated, but have they addressed the steering angle sensor?

When all 3 warnings appear at once, this is a possible cause and as the brake sensors receive info from the steering angle sender, it is something that should be ruled out.

I had a similar situation to you with my first A2 (also a 2001) and it turned out to be this. As I said, it sounds like it is unrelated, but I have a sneaky feeling that this could be an underlying cause. It's easy enough to swap out the component and relatively cheap.

Cheers,

Mike

Last edited:
collecting ideas

Nobody has mentioned this so it will be a useful area to explore. I plan to print off any anything that might help and give it to the mechanic (technician). They are as frustrated with it as I am. Fault apart, I love the car and would just like it to be fixed.
Thanks for this.

It could be the ABS relay that is located under the dash. I had the same problem on my 2001 - normally came on as you hit 5+ mph which is roughly the speed the abs becomes operative. Sometimes it would clear and then come back. Most annoying.

Local garage diagnosed the fault - the sensor. Easy and cheap replacement if you know where it is. I don't exactly and neither did the garage hence I racked up some labour charge!

On 2001 models there is no ABS relay, but there is a brake light supression relay, that is fitted in the top row of the rlay plate next to the fuse box, it is second in from the right.

This was left out on later models with the introduction of the MK60 ABS/ESP unit.

Cheers,

Mike

On our way to the garage

Thanks to all who have contibuted ideas. I have compiled them all onto an A4 sheet and will be passing them on along with the car. will keep you posted.

I think Skipton could be very near the mark on your problem. Had similar probs on my A2 and it turned out to be the steering angle sensor. But saying that when the dealer checked with diagnostic thingy it came up as being the steering angle sensor unless of course yours is just a bit dodgy and not gone completely

hmmmmm . . .

Guess whats just happened to my '03 plate Tdi Sport - exclamation warning flashing and abs/asr lights on too - just as described above.

Brakes work fine - pads fine - reserviour full, but wife is N O T happy driving when its flashing at her.

I live in edinburgh and have had a very bed service from Audi Dealer here with my previous TT - anyone had experience of them recently in an A2?

Or I suppose is there any way to stop them from taking 2 days and hundreds of pounds worth of labour to find a wiring fault which costs a couple of pounds to replace/fix - can you ask for the fault code printout, and if there isnt one can you ask them to show you what is wrong, should I go with a hitlist of possible problems as mentioned before . . . I love the A2 and the Audi marque in general - just HATE the Dealers.

2max4fun, any update?

abs testing

Hi!. I am a fairly new A2 owner in a spot of bother. Shortly after getting the car, I started to get ABS, Brake and Handbrake warning lights coming on. After the ignition is switched off, this goes - for a while. The local Audi dealer had the car for a week for diagnosis and (expensive) repair but the fault returned. They have recently had it for another two days, reset some codes and told me to monitor the fault. The brakes seem to be OK but the warranty will soon be ended and there seems to be no resolve. The car is a 2001 1.4 petrol with 27000 miles. Can anybody advise?

hi there all
I to have the same problem all three lights show after moving off.
Tested the abs two days ago seems it gone alright cant feel it kick in when i break hard and i mean hard.
Is there any other way of testing if the abs is working? :confused:

Hi rktec
As Skipton indicated, a diagnostic scan is the best starting point for troubleshooting most problems nowdays. If you don't have easy access to VagCom then a simple check you can do is inspect the ABS sensor wires on the front wheels. The wider tyres on the Sport models have a tendency to rub through these wires and cause this type of fault.
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3325&highlight=worn+wire

Cheers Spike

I too have (relatively safely) tested the abs, which doesnt feel like its working and the traction control is definately off on this wet monday!

Thanks for the heads up with the abs sensor wires - I will be simply lost for words if I find a couple of wires worn through though, and will be having a chat with audi about it if I do, will check in daylight tomorrow and advise - surely that can't be german engineering at its best?

Mind you in saying that - it would be the cheapest diagnostic Ive ever had done ;] failing that I'll have to book it in and see what they can find . . . anyone got a VagCom near Edinburgh???

Back