Nearly an owner.....

cplevin

A2OC Donor
Hi all

I thought I'd put my head above the parapet......although I don't yet own an A2. I'm in the acquiring phase and am currently poring over every possible classified!

I'm looking in ebay, auto trader, gumtree and preloved. I see many of the same cars advertised(particularly by dealers) on several of the sites. Are there any other sites I ought to be keeping an eye on? I do look in the 'Spotted' forum but it has been quiet of late.

I'm fascinated by the innovative design of the A2, a car seemingly well ahead of its time, and can't wait to get one!

I'm looking for a 2004 or 2005 1.4TDi with reasonable mileage(60-100k?), full service history, and as many extras as possible, although am a bit wary of some of the OSS problems talked about by members, and it seems like the 75hp model is the one to go for rather than the 90, since this can be chipped in any case for a little extra performance. I know some extras like the wing mirrors and cruise control can be retrofitted. A question - not many ads mention the DIS - was it fitted as standard to any models? How do you recognise(from the ad pics) if the car has DIS?

I like the look of the sports seats but slightly wary of the harder ride on the sport models. Leather would be nice but not essential. Prices seem to vary from 3.5k to 6k depending on mileage, condition, and extras.

I plan to use the car as a short distance(<6m) commuting vehicle/visiting daughter's car/winter alternative to a rear wheel drive vehicle, so won't be piling on the miles.

We already have a Nissan 4x4(good in the winter - we're in the Chiltern Hills, and often get snow) and a Honda S2000 sports(great car, but not good in winter!) so the A2 fits neatly in between. The A2 will replace a very old Polo which is giving a lot of mechanical problems lately and is looking rather tired.

Any advice on spec or any other aspect of purchase and ownership appreciated, or any leads to a car in the Bucks/South East of England area, or further afield if a good option.

Thanks for listening!

Chris

Hi Chris first off good luck with your search. You have started well by doing your homework on here and the general internet, its something most don't (me included). Your looking in the right places so i can't help there but i can help with DIS---the sports models have DIS as standard but some SE models will have it fitted as an option. If in the adverts you see the dash the things that give it away are DIS equipped cars have a larger glossy area in between the clocks as opposed to a smaller screen with a matte blanking plate in the top third. If you can't see the clocks but you can see the end of the right stalk it will have a button on the end.
Be aware that a lot of traders/sellers refer to either set up as DIS but only full DIS will give mpg / range with bulb alert.
Hope that helps cheers Mikee

Hello cplevin,
Welcome to the forum and it's good to hear of someone else who has been attracted to our fascinating little car. I'll leave answers to some of your questions to others who have been here longer than me, but based on my own experience of 6 months A2 ownership, I'd say the following...

These are great little cars and because of their age, none costs a great deal of money. You can get a quality car for little money and because it is aluminium, built with genuine Audi quality, they are lasting well.

That said, you are looking for the spec that is almost everyone's ideal spec. If you find one it will be at the high end of the price range. TDis are more popular than petrols because of the very high MPG possible, so they cost more. Low mileage TDis are unusual. Most people would like DIS, but it was only standard on Sport models and doesn't seem to have been a common extra on SE models. If the car has DIS, the central display between the two major dials has two sections, upper and lower; non-DIS has just the lower section. You probably need the ignition on to see it. Most people would like leather, or leather/alcantara, and it is a very nice choice but was expensive new, so not that common.

Can I offer a personal view? I am a long term TDi owner and enthusiast. However there are not that many A2s around and the number is obviously in decline. I realised I could wait a long time for my ideal car. So instead I looked for the best quality car I could find without focussing on the spec. The result is I am driving a 1.6 FSi but it is loaded with kit (however, no DIS nor leather!). But I have owned it for 6 months instead of having to look for 6 months, and it's a great car. And I only paid a bit over £3K for a very nice Audi with less than 70,000 miles.

Reactions: chb
Hi all

I thought I'd put my head above the parapet......although I don't yet own an A2. I'm in the acquiring phase and am currently poring over every possible classified!

I'm looking in ebay, auto trader, gumtree and preloved. I see many of the same cars advertised(particularly by dealers) on several of the sites. Are there any other sites I ought to be keeping an eye on? I do look in the 'Spotted' forum but it has been quiet of late. Auto trader is worth a look too, but steer away from adverts with the mobile number on the picture!!! The "Spotted" section only goes quiet when there are no bargains, so watch it regularly because bargains are highlighted
I'm fascinated by the innovative design of the A2, a car seemingly well ahead of its time, and can't wait to get one! You won't be disappointed

I'm looking for a 2004 or 2005 1.4TDi with reasonable mileage(60-100k?), full service history, and as many extras as possible, although am a bit wary of some of the OSS problems talked about by members, OSS is great and even if they fail (and they don't all fail) you still have a really nice glass roof !!! and it seems like the 75hp model is the one to go for rather than the 90, since this can be chipped in any case for a little extra performance. I know some extras like the wing mirrors and cruise control can be retrofitted. A question - not many ads mention the DIS - was it fitted as standard to any models? This is fitted as standard to the Sport models and was an optional extra on other models How do you recognise(from the ad pics) if the car has DIS? Two ways, the non DIS dash has the top half of the info display (the oblong in the middle) filled in by plastic, the dis is ALL matrix and no plastic in the oblong, but it is sometimes easier to spot the buttons on the tip of the wiper stalk (where you normally find trip computer buttons.

I like the look of the sports seats but slightly wary of the harder ride on the sport models. Leather would be nice but not essential. Prices seem to vary from 3.5k to 6k depending on mileage, condition, and extras.

I plan to use the car as a short distance(<6m) commuting vehicle/visiting daughter's car/winter alternative to a rear wheel drive vehicle, so won't be piling on the miles. In that case many would recommend that you go for the petrol engine instead, the diesel engine cars need a good run frequently to help clear the soot! But I prefer the diesel, just make sure you give it a good run every now and then.

We already have a Nissan 4x4(good in the winter - we're in the Chiltern Hills, and often get snow) and a Honda S2000 sports(great car, but not good in winter!) so the A2 fits neatly in between. The A2 will replace a very old Polo which is giving a lot of mechanical problems lately and is looking rather tired.

Any advice on spec or any other aspect of purchase and ownership appreciated, or any leads to a car in the Bucks/South East of England area, or further afield if a good option. Look for full Audi service history, a big bonus but rare, but full service history anyway and check that the Cambelt had been replaced on time and certainly not long ago!

Thanks for listening!

Chris

And thanks for joining !!!

Steve B

Well spotted Steve! That's a really nice example, beautifully cared for by the looks of it. And it has DIS, but not leather nor OSS. But it is one of the more expensive A2s out there. A similar petrol one might cost £1500 less, I reckon.

Yes, I have had my eye on this one. It looks great. It is 170 miles away though. But I might go up on the train and have a look....!

Chris

No Sunroof or leather but a VERY good price for a 2005 tdi sport £3.795 looks lovely too! High mileage but not starship miles.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...p_to_8_years_old/make/audi/model/a2?logcode=p

Steve B

Yes, this one is only 118 miles away and is also on the shortlist. I have been hoping something will come up closer.

I also take the point raised earlier about a petrol version perhaps being a better option if the car is used more for short runs. I will keep my options open and perhaps look also for a 1.6FSI, although again these engines don't seem to be as favoured as the diesel in terms of reliability as well as emissions and economy.

Chris

Hello cplevin,
Welcome to the forum and it's good to hear of someone else who has been attracted to our fascinating little car. I'll leave answers to some of your questions to others who have been here longer than me, but based on my own experience of 6 months A2 ownership, I'd say the following...

These are great little cars and because of their age, none costs a great deal of money. You can get a quality car for little money and because it is aluminium, built with genuine Audi quality, they are lasting well.

That said, you are looking for the spec that is almost everyone's ideal spec. If you find one it will be at the high end of the price range. TDis are more popular than petrols because of the very high MPG possible, so they cost more. Low mileage TDis are unusual. Most people would like DIS, but it was only standard on Sport models and doesn't seem to have been a common extra on SE models. If the car has DIS, the central display between the two major dials has two sections, upper and lower; non-DIS has just the lower section. You probably need the ignition on to see it. Most people would like leather, or leather/alcantara, and it is a very nice choice but was expensive new, so not that common.

Can I offer a personal view? I am a long term TDi owner and enthusiast. However there are not that many A2s around and the number is obviously in decline. I realised I could wait a long time for my ideal car. So instead I looked for the best quality car I could find without focussing on the spec. The result is I am driving a 1.6 FSi but it is loaded with kit (however, no DIS nor leather!). But I have owned it for 6 months instead of having to look for 6 months, and it's a great car. And I only paid a bit over £3K for a very nice Audi with less than 70,000 miles.

Whereabouts are you mate? I'm 5 mins from Junction 8/IKEA.

(apologies for thread drift)

I consider that these cars are really "made" by the full-glass, panoramic roof. I would not, personally, consider one without that feature. Even a non-opening roof would still be acceptable. I would give it some thought, when you are looking at available A2's ....

David

I consider that these cars are really "made" by the full-glass, panoramic roof. I would not, personally, consider one without that feature. Even a non-opening roof would still be acceptable. I would give it some thought, when you are looking at available A2's ....

David

Couldn't agree more !!!

Steve B

SATNAV! Never seen that before on an A2 for sale.

Yes, the factory Sat Nav is very rare, only seen two others advertised with it.

This is a stonking spec. If it was a diesel I would mortgage the wife to get it, instead of buying our Daughter's car.

It has a very low mileage too (60K)

Steve B

Hi Chris,

I'm looking for a 2004 or 2005 1.4TDi with reasonable mileage(60-100k?), full service history, and as many extras as possible, although am a bit wary of some of the OSS problems talked about by members, and it seems like the 75hp model is the one to go for rather than the 90, since this can be chipped in any case for a little extra performance. I know some extras like the wing mirrors and cruise control can be retrofitted. A question - not many ads mention the DIS - was it fitted as standard to any models? How do you recognise(from the ad pics) if the car has DIS?

May I ask why you're only looking at 2004/2005 cars? Whilst I understand your desire to get as young an A2 as possible, I'd prioritise condition and history over age. Given that 2005 cars are almost all of very basic spec' (and it seems you'd like a car with at least a few nice options), you're currently limiting yourself to cars made in just one year: 2004. Given the comparative rarity of what you seek, it seems you're needlessly limiting your search.

As others have mentioned, DIS was only standard on Sport models. However, almost everything can be retrofitted. OpenSky might be a stage too far, but otherwise almost all the toys can be added; cruise, Bose, auto-dimming mirrors, Sport seats, DIS, multifunction steering wheels, rear electric windows, etc.

I plan to use the car as a short distance (<6m) commuting vehicle/visiting daughter's car/winter alternative to a rear wheel drive vehicle, so won't be piling on the miles.

Eek! Whilst I'm a hardcore TDI fan and am often comically dismissive of 'flimsy petrol nonsense', I can't help but think that a petrol-powered A2 would be better for you. The TDI needs about 6-10 miles to get warm, meaning that all the miles you'd add would be done on a cold engine.
The TDIs are the really desirable A2s. Due to their longevity, their economy, their torque and their rarity compared to petrol models, they hold their value much better. However, when cold, the TDI won't return better economy than the petrol, and you'll find yourself unable to heat the cabin on a vast majority of your journeys.

It is 170 miles away though.

It's on this island, which should, in my opinion, be all that matters. If you're after something quite specific, then you're definitely best to cast your net across the entire of the UK.

All the best with the hunt,

Tom

Last edited:
SATNAV! Never seen that before on an A2 for sale.

Yep, the A2 came with two SatNav options...

The first one is the type seen on the car linked above. You'll notice a series of extra controls by the hand brake storage tray. The system is controlled here and uses the DIS display as its only visual interface. Almost all A2s have a CDROM-sized plastic housing under the boot flap, to the right of the battery. This is used when this type of SatNav system is installed, as it's where the data disc is held.

The second type is RNS-D. You can see a photo of it here: http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?22191
There is a double-DIN colour display in the centre console, but simple arrow instructions are also shown on the DIS display. The data disc is loaded into the double-DIN unit. If my memory serves me correctly, this option cost £2200 as an optional extra. DIS was thrown in as part of the deal.

Cheers,

Tom

Very informative, as always, Tom. Makes my optional £945 upgraded seats look cheap.

I'm satisfied with my iPhone 5 running TomTom, but I'd love turn directions on DIS.

Back