New wheels in the murdo household

murdo

Admin Team
Scotland
New Audi Q5 was delivered last week on my company leasing scheme. Will miss the A3, but first impression of the Q5 is really good. ( Much to Skipton's disgust who considers the Q's Audi's dinosaur diversion!) :p

I like the higher driving position and with the S Line suspension I spec'd the car with, it really does not drive like an SUV.

It's an S Line+ model on the 2.0 TDi engine, daytona grey with some nice tweaks that were pretty inexpensive by Audi standards. Only toys I had to pay for were the Bang and Olufsen sound system and interior light pack - the rest was standard or no cost option.

Must be a sign of the times. Pics to follow at the weekend when I treat the car to its first polish.

Last edited:
B&O sound system - has that replaced Bose as the "premium brand" stereo upgrade now then?
I see so many Audi Qs and BMW Xs round my way they almost outnumber the standard saloon models now!

B&O sound system - has that replaced Bose as the "premium brand" stereo upgrade now then?
I see so many Audi Qs and BMW Xs round my way they almost outnumber the standard saloon models now!

I sat in the new A6 at an Audi Demo in Glasgow this time last year. It had a B&O system. I asked the sales guys and they said that Bose system were still available, but came in one tier below B&O.
B&O have always been over-priced in my opinion, though I tend to believe the same about Bose. Whilst I want the Bose system for my A2 (because it's the best available OEM system), I'd never consider having either of these manufacturers as part of my home hifi system.

B&O have always been over-priced in my opinion, though I tend to believe the same about Bose. Whilst I want the Bose system for my A2 (because it's the best available OEM system), I'd never consider having either of these manufacturers as part of my home hifi system.

Agree with you 100% on that!

Cars simply aren't a particularly good acoustic environment, so there comes a point where quality like Linn is wasted. I think, for a while at least, Dynaudio and B&W did car installations, too. This is the sort of stuff I listen to at home and at work, but in a car the Bose system will do just fine.
At the moment I have the most basic stereo in my A2; standard front speakers only. I never listen to my favourite music while driving, because I'm always frustrated by the poor quality. I'm hoping that the upgrade to Bose will change that.

Um... I notice everyone in this thread is now, according to the little green blob by our avatars, "on a distinguished road".

Ah, I thought it was probably something to do with that. Have anyone made use of this feature yet?

Sorry Murdo, massive thread swerve.

Tom

Nice one, the Q5 is a very nice place to be in there is no doubt Audi's premium build quality and interior luxury. Watford Audi put the Q3/5/7 next to each other and the Q3 and 5 are like copy and paste with shrinkage. Admittedly it is not a car for me I do think it looks rather smart compared to the class rivals.

C'mon Murdo ...
... where are the pics? We all itching here.

blue skies
tony

PS. The A8 we loaned for a day had the B&O system, well quite fantastic is all I can say.

C'mon Murdo ...
... where are the pics? We all itching here.

blue skies
tony

PS. The A8 we loaned for a day had the B&O system, well quite fantastic is all I can say.

Sorry Tony! I'm on call today so the light bar is still on the roof and its filthy after a trip to the Scottish borders last weekend. I'll update my forum gallery and post a couple of links on here tomorrow when I've cleaned it up I promise!!

Nice one, the Q5 is a very nice place to be in there is no doubt Audi's premium build quality and interior luxury. Watford Audi put the Q3/5/7 next to each other and the Q3 and 5 are like copy and paste with shrinkage. Admittedly it is not a car for me I do think it looks rather smart compared to the class rivals.

In terms of the Q cars, the Q5 is definitely the best proportioned of the three. The Q3 looks a little "push me pull me" and the Q7.....well, looks only a mother could love. Huge, ugly and irrelevant.

Q5 is on the list for replacing the A6 in the next couple of years.

C'mon Murdo, pics please.

Here's a couple of piccies of the new beastie. Theres a few more in my profile album folder for those who want a nosey.

I am really pleased with it. Spec'd it with s-line sports suspension, 'off road' style alloys, interior light pack, B&O, DAB radio,alcantara leather with silver stitching instead of the standard vienna leather which I think works better, very tactile and comfy. It has sat nav, bluetooth, cruise, PDC front & rear, xenons, power tailgate and lots of other wee toys I've forgotten as standard - pretty well appointed package really.

I'm getting used to the MMI which seems very logically set up, and the ipod and sat nav functions are much more user freindly and intuitive than my previous tom tom and the basic ipod interface I had in the A3. Lots more functionality.

Having driven just under 1000 miles in 8 days, the only niggle so far which I really dont like is that my knee hits the light switch when I get in an out the car. I need to be conscious of this to avoid moving the switch but its a 'get used to' thing.

The rear wiper blade needs adjusted as its hitting the bodywork on the return sweep. I'm also not keen on the start/stop function so Ive turned that off.

It is no sports car for sure despite the pretentions - but handles fine for the class of vehicle and holds the road really well and I like the elevated driving position after being used to the A3.

I like the lines of the Q5, and I'm pleased I went for this instead of the other option which was an A4 Avant. Also glad I decided on Daytona Grey instead of another Ibis White one too! :)

Not as much fun as Ada - but very nice.

Attachments

• q5_1.jpg
    q5_1.jpg
    420.5 KB · Views: 310
  • q5_2.jpg
    q5_2.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 327
  • Q5_5.jpg
    Q5_5.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 318
  • q5_6.jpg
    q5_6.jpg
    354.4 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:
Hard to believe it's approaching 3 years since I posted this. The Q5 has 45k miles and apart from some rust on the brake disc hubs there's little different from the photos posted.

So now my confession.

I've driven Audi since 2001 for the most part however when choosing my new company car I've simply been put off by incredibly high pricing and the racking up of costs when you start ticking the options list.

So I've placed an order for a Skoda Octavia vRS TDI 184 Estate in candy white with some options added. Leather. Heated seats. Black styling pack. Touch screen nav. Canton sound system. I pod interface. Some other niceties I cant recall!

I think it's a bit different and the quality and interior space is just fantastic for the list price. 55mpg and 30 quid road tax too!

I'm sure I'll get pelted by some of you for turning my back on the 4 rings but I still have Ada and I'm really looking forward to the new Skoda.

Hi Murdo,

Skoda has come a LONG way since the numerous Skoda jokes were plentiful.

They are a fantastic car now and you are not paying extra for the "Audi" or "VW" badge but you are getting similar quantity and an increased spec.

I apologise for the age of these Skoda jokes

What do you call
A convertible Skoda - A skip
A Skoda with twin exhausts - A wheelbarrow

Why do some Skodas come with a heated rear screen? To keep your hands warm while you are pushing it.

I know these are very old, but Murdo my friend! You asked for it by buying one.

Steve B

Back