Oil change made easier.....

chrisnic

To simplify future oil changes and save me a long journey to use my brothers lift at his garage, I made a small modification to the under tray on my fsi for easier home maintenance.....I will be tidying up the edges of the cutout....

Chris

E7C6565F-A763-4020-8EB6-CD3723FB6460.jpeg

585BBAAE-0F30-4F83-AD76-B1FCDE857D86.jpeg

On my diesel A2 I find that I can do everything without even modifying the under-tray. Most of the used oil ejects into a catching tray on the floor beneath the sump and it's easy to clean up any slight mess that's left after draining. Maybe the petrol engined A2 is more difficult?

David

Not a bad idea, of course with a few little modifications you could easily make that into a removable panel.

Presumably this modification is only a time-saver if the air filter isn't being changed as well.

Cheers,

Tom

Good idea, as normally, unless you are doing excessive mileage it would be oil and filter change every year and all the filters along with the oil change every two years so it does save the tray from being removed some of the time which can be a fiddly job. Well that's the way it is for me any way.

Agreed the other way would have been a removable panel but a lot more work and time involved.

The tdi is do-able as it is without modification as mentioned, as you have access to the sump plug but a bit more of a factory cut out would have been nice to avoid having to stop the dribble going on the undertray.

Would have been nice if Audi had made a removable section in the undertray for all models but then again they wouldn't be able to charge as much labour which unfortunately is what they're all about!

Off topic I know, but the only other annoying 'oversight' if you like (for want of a better word) is having nowhere to put the fuel filler cap when refueling and having to let it hang onto the paintwork of the rear wheel arch. Annoys me every time I put fuel in the car!

Off topic I know, but the only other annoying 'oversight' if you like (for want of a better word) is having nowhere to put the fuel filler cap when refueling and having to let it hang onto the paintwork of the rear wheel arch. Annoys me every time I put fuel in the car!
Ah, this has been considered. There are little slots cut in the fuel filler cap such that it sits securely on the open fuel filler 'door'. :)

See photo in the next post...

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
Ah, this has been considered. There are little slots cut in the fuel filler cap such that it sits securely on the open fuel filler 'door'. :)

Cheers,

Tom
Then you are almost wedging the filler cap onto the painted filler flap which could then scratch the external painted finish which I really don't like and I think I would rather just rest it on the arch as at least then it's only rested not wedged.

I just would have expected something better, more like the bmw design (sorry swear word I know ?) which just pushes into a hole securely

You could even say Audi designed the cap that way. The user manual and quick reference even states this is where the cap is hung while fuelling the car.

Would have been nice if Audi had made a removable section in the undertray for all models but then again they wouldn't be able to charge as much labour which unfortunately is what they're all about!

I think you'll find that when an Audi garage does an oil change, they don't drain the oil. They pump it out!

RAB

I think you'll find that when an Audi garage does an oil change, they don't drain the oil. They pump it out!

RAB
You're probably right but they still charge a labour price as if they are removing and refitting the tray 10 times ?

The slots in the filler cap are generous. No force is required to securely place it. I've used the feature with every fill for 12 years and there's absolutely no evidence of scratching. It's really quite elegant.

Cheers,

Tom
That's good to know ?

Still think it could should have been a far better design though as Imho no other part should have been designed to sit on visible external paintwork

You're probably right but they still charge a labour price as if they are removing and refitting the tray 10 times ?
There are Audi and VW franchises in Eastbourne owned by the same company. I always take my A2 to VW for jobs I am not equipped to do; they are cheaper and much more capable. If they need anything, they borrow it from the Audi garage. VW and Audi have different diagnostic equipment!

RAB

Reactions: A2Z
In Norway the VW and Audi dealers typically drain the sump; at least the 3 different dealers I have been to.

But not sure if a dealer let the engine warm up the oil before draining (eg if leave the car overnight wintertime for oil change the next morning)

Back