Oil contaminated glow plug

Little Dog

A2OC Donor
European-Union
Any thoughts as to what may be going on here. Glow plugs usually come out clean with a little carbon on them.
The plug from no 3 cylinder is absolutely soaked with engine oil. Any thoughts on how it may have got there?

IMG_0833.jpeg

My bore scope fits through the glow plug aperture. I didn't find what I expected, the oil is not in the combustion chamber, it is between the glow plug thread and seat. Instead I found something I really didn't expect, mild surface rust.
Never experienced either before and some of my engines have sat for years without being started. Any ideas? Head off?

IMG_0008.JPG

I’ve pulled the injectors and put a scope down. There appears to be water in all three cylinders. It could be nasty condensation but I think I’m going in there to check it out. I have a set of stretch bolts, it will only cost me for a gasket. Any advice before I create work for myself.

The injectors appear good.

IMG_0836.jpeg

Just to confirm, the following checks were done before I removed the engine (taking an engine out is no walk in the park and so I wouldn't bother removing a bad one, let alone sell it)

- checked it run up to temperature
- checked it wasn't smoking
- used a sniff test device once warm to check if the headgasket was ok
- driven around the estate to ensure it pulled well without going into limp

Other than that there is very little else I can do on a breaker to ensure the engine is ok.

I’ve pulled the injectors and put a scope down. There appears to be water in all three cylinders. It could be nasty condensation but I think I’m going in there to check it out. I have a set of stretch bolts, it will only cost me for a gasket. Any advice before I create work for myself.

The injectors appear good.

View attachment 115044
Hi phil,
Has the engine been steam cleaned or pressure washed possibly allowing ingress into combustion chamber?
Keith

Hi phil,
Has the engine been steam cleaned or pressure washed possibly allowing ingress into combustion chamber?
Keith
Or dampness in the inlet or exhaust manifold, that drained into the combustion chambers, when the engine was on its side, in the journey home?
Mac.

I would imagine the oil is potentially from a previous repair or the injector I personally wouldn't start stripping down an engine that I have on the best possible authority is operating correctly

I would imagine the oil is potentially from a previous repair or the injector I personally wouldn't start stripping down an engine that I have on the best possible authority is operating correctly
The dilemma is I have an engine that is operating flawlessly and is returning really low MOT emissions. The problem is it is stuffed inside and one day it will go pop. Hopefully not on a smart motorway.
Knowing that an apparently good engine can be bad any replacement would be subject to a lot of scrutiny.
I would have accepted the sniff test result but oil on the plugs sent me digging. Damp in the cylinders will send me digging further.
There are many positives to this engine, I’m just trying to understand my concerns.
How does oil get on the glow plugs if it hasn’t come through the combustion chamber?
How do all three cylinders get water in them?

I wouldn't strip it really if it was running OK, just use it, those motors are bullet proof with oil and filters change regularly

Guys, before this turns very sour take a step back and consider what has already been explained.

1 This is a used unit that has had reasonable testing performed on it.
2 The seller is trustworthy
3 You bought this engine without knowing its full history
4 Engines do produce condensation
5 The oil on the glow plug is more likely from either the previous owner soaking it perhaps in anticipation of removing it or perhaps swapped it .
6 If you want gold standard then you need to purchase a factory reconditioned unit.

So please before any bad feelings are generated take these discussions to PM

Presumably condensation, it's a good used engine with the essential confirmation it runs great, I wouldn't look any further.
Your current engine is indeed running superb and may well continue inevitably.
Ultimately its what allows you to sleep the best at night and give you piece of mind, this has to be your decision making tool but where do you draw the line?

I wouldn't strip it really if it was running OK, just use it, those motors are bullet proof with oil and filters change regularly
I’ve got one in the car that runs OK and probably has the lowest MOT emissions I have ever seen. The problem is it is a complete mess inside and will go pop. Probably the turbo having passed so much combustion chamber.
No point in changing like with like. Do you know why oil can contaminate glow plugs or why there would be rust in all three cylinders? I was expecting to find oil in two.

Guys, before this turns very sour take a step back and consider what has already been explained.

1 This is a used unit that has had reasonable testing performed on it.
2 The seller is trustworthy
3 You bought this engine without knowing its full history
4 Engines do produce condensation
5 The oil on the glow plug is more likely from either the previous owner soaking it perhaps in anticipation of removing it or perhaps swapped it .
6 If you want gold standard then you need to purchase a factory reconditioned unit.

So please before any bad feelings are generated take these discussions to PM
There should be no bad feelings, I’m fully supportive of the seller. If I don’t ask a wide audience I don’t get answers.

Back