Chat Oil leaking through egr valve

Loopylou

I'm looking for some advice,my egr valve has been leaking for some time,the more you rev the engine the more leaks out..I've just read on another thread it's caused by the turbo seal? I need advice on what to do now ..
Thanks
Lou

Hello,

How often and how much oil do you need to top up your engine?

You will find that a new turbo is very expensive as you probably already know.
Reconditioned units are the best option.
A turbo can be fitted without removal of the engine.
I paid £140 for a BHC turbo that I fitted in the AMF engine. The BHC has a smoother exhaust manifold.
Have you done an EGR delete on your car? I only ask because the EGR pipe is in a different location on BHC turbos so a delete is a way around fitting the BHC with no bother.
Your pipework and inter-cooler will most likely have a bit of oil in them so if you do fit a new turbo than I would try and drain and clean as much out as you can.
The turbo oil feed pipe must be checked for blockages before refitting.
Its best to remove as much of the top of the engine pipework and so on to get good access.
The inlet manifold will need to be removed (x6 hex bolts), the exhaust down pipe (4 nuts 12 or 13mm) and then the exhaust manifold (x6 - 8 hex bolts) and turbo unit.
Undo the lower dog bone engine mount so you can sway the engine and get the turbo out from the bulkhead area.
You need a new air intake manifold gasket , exhaust manifold gasket and the exhaust to turbo gasket.
Its a good idea to prime the turbo with oil before you start the engine for the first time. By turning the engine over without starting it.
Its is a job you can do at home with the right tools and a couple of days.

All the best

Andy

BHC TURBO

Last edited by a moderator:
We're needing to top up every few days, we haven't had egr blanked,we were hoping to get it done in hope it would stop the leak,but I read on another post that if it's coming through the egr it's actually leaking from the turbo seal, now I'm just unsure what I need to do to stop this oil coming out :(

We're needing to top up every few days, we haven't had egr blanked,we were hoping to get it done in hope it would stop the leak,but I read on another post that if it's coming through the egr it's actually leaking from the turbo seal, now I'm just unsure what I need to do to stop this oil coming out :(
Sounds like the turbo to me. Disconnect the Intercooler hoses. They will be oily inside but not excessively so. Like an oil mist coating. Sounds like yours could be heavily contaminated. If so the I would flush the Intercooler and pipes when a replacement turbo is fitted.
If its am AMF engine then disconnect the pipe to the EGR, cut the head off a 6mm screw and push the threaded part into the pipe. This then acts as a blanking plug and the EGR will not function. Also clean out the EGR/Futter Valve section, attached to the Inlet Manifold. Chances are it will be choked with oily carbon if you are burning this much oil!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Back