Oil Usage

crb1011

anybody know what the normal oil usgae is for a 1.4 petrol. I had the oil min light come on today and i have put in between .5l and .75l of oil in. tried checking the dip stick found it next to useless although it was a bit dry before I put the oil in. Done around 4000 miles since service so perhaps this is not a bad usage of oil. Didnt put in to much didnt want to over fill and I reckon the ammount that I put in would be ok. Lets hope the oil light stays out now.

i see you had the car serviced 4000 ml ago,did you check the oil level when collecting from servicing?do you drive it to the red line?my last 1400 petrol used 1/2 ltr 10000 mls.

I think the oil level may have been a bit below the max after servicing not really sure. I have done 5000 miles since service dont think .5l is that bad after such milage. Checking the dip stick is not that good with A2 as many owners are finding. I think you may use more in the winter months

well oil lev light has not come back on yet so maybe .5l of oil has done the trick fingers crossed . really must try and read the dip stick maybe have a look over the bank holiday
Happy New Year to everyone hope 2006 is a trouble free year for all the A2's out there

I totally agree with you but also reading the dip stick and thinking it needs topping up when it doesnt is also wrong as you can over fill it. Even the dealers cant read the dip stick

oils and lubricants

2 dealers have told me that the oil warning light is the best guide to oil level. It's easier to read Serbo Croat translated from Japanese than it is to read the A2 dipstick.

hollyrescue: Thanks for that I know waiting for the oil lev light to come on is a bit daunting but so is the thought of over filling. Think I will be sticking to the oil level light method. My lads Peugoet uses an oil light system but its a better one. Has 5 lights and as the level gets lower then less lights show. When it gets to 3 lights he tops it up.

Does the engine need to be running for the oil level warning light to come on?
When changing the oil a couple of months ago I made the attempt to make it come on by draining the oil and switching on the ignition. To my surprise it said 'OK' like always.

the oil level light will only come on when driving you can make it go out by just checking the oil level. it will come on again usually within 50 miles if you dont top up the oil. I find this is a bit stranged as I would have expected the light to remain on until the oil level is increased.

Oil Consumption

I have had my oil low light come on this week after only 2500 miles since its last service. My dealership have advised me that this is in line with normal consumption. I know that, as a chief engineer with 24 years experience, under no circumstances is a litre of oil every 2500 miles considered as normal consumption in a modern day engine. With have put it down to technician error when doing the service, considering the uselessness of the dipstick, and am now monitoring the next litres worth of consumption. Has your light remaied out since you topped up your engine?? I found it easier to read my oil level if you clean and dry your dipstick and then place a very thin line of tippex on the plastic part of it. BE SURE TO DIP JUST A COUPLE OF TIMES FOR REASSURANCE AND TO CLEAN THE TIPPEX OFF ONCE YOU ARE HAPPY WITH THE LEVEL.

My at A2 was serviced in August, just before I bought it. I've only done about 8,000 miles since the service and have just had to top it up twice .25l litres each time. Had to rely on the warning light as the dip stick was useless. Was too scared about over filling so thought it was safer to do it in small quantities. I've done over 200 miles since I last topped up and its stayed off so fingers crossed. Audi told me that this was normal and charged me £11 for their 'Audi oil' which is bit steep to say the least!!

I'm very surprised that I've needed to top up, our previous car was a Renault Clio that we had from new and had dealer serviced four times at 18,000 mile intervals. We never had to top up between intervals. Their is an electronic gauge with 9 0's that blank out as the oil goes down. They never went below 6. Renault never told us that our oil was low at any service.

So I have to say given Audi is a 'premium' car manufactuerer I would have expected their engines to run a bit better!!

I have found that when the oil light comes on just over .5l of oil is enough to top it up to the max. Putting .25l at a time may mean that the light comes on earlier. If it stays out after topping up for around 50 miles then you should be ok. When my light first cme on I checked the oil and it looked ok but I did call out VW assist and they confirmed all was ok. Turned out to be an oil level sensor fault. The next time it came on I didnt top up but booked it in for a dealer check only to be told that I needed 1.5l of oil. Thats life.

A while back I asked the forum what normal oil consumption was in the A2 and very broadly speaking 1 litre every 10k miles seemed the average response.

well it was that time again today for checking the oil level grrrr i would rather have my teeth pulled out. Dont know why I bother always get different readings. Found the best way is to leave it over night remove the dip stick in the morning and read the level. If I then wipe it and check again different reading grrr. When checking the first time I get a good reading so I will stick to that method. I am sure that leaving it over night all the oil would have settled giving a true reading with out the need to wipe and retry.

Having replaced my petrol A2 for a TDI I now have an easier time reading the oil level. The dipstick on the diesel engine have a much better dipstick and reading the oil level now is a breeze compared to the petrol dipstick which was always a nightmare to read.

Well thats good news for you TDI owners. Does anybody know if they have changed the design of the dip stick for the petrol versions. Mine is yellow/orange and round shaped. Most dip sticks have a flat side to them at the reading end which prevents the oil being wiped off when removed. The A2 dip stick is so bloody long and it has to go through that long tube so it must be inevitable that some oil is removed from the stick.

The one on mine is round on one side and flat on the side you measure the level with. The flat side might be what makes it easier to read, just as you said. The colour is orange.

thanks for that info will be getting in touch with the dealer to see if I can get a new dip stick or at least have a look at a new one before buying it.

Well I went to the local Audi dealer to ask about a replacement dip stick (one with a flat edge to it) it apears that the one for my car canot be replaced with a flat edge one. The one I have is correct for the year and model 1.4 petrol and there is not a replacement one.
oh well back to crap readings and waiting for the oil min sensor to kick in

Back