Open Sky - "popping"

Gonzo

A2OC Donor
Hi guys,

I know that the last thing the forum needs is another thread on an Open Sky problems, but I have a symptom that I didn't find reported after searching.

So....the car's a 2002 Tdi with 46k miles on the clock. The mechanism seems smooth and reliable enough and the first front glass panel opens perfectly.

However, when it come to open the second rear panel, said panel opens with a "pop" i.e. as if its opening under pressure, or a little painfully. Once or twice, it has also failed to open the second panel without a little push from underneath. It always closes OK and the glass panels are all flush to the body and each other.

I've kept the runners and visible pieces of the sliding mechanism lubricated but does this problem ring a bell with anyone?

Whilst it's working for now, it could be an early sign of an expensive problem waiting to happen so I'd rather take preventative action.

Cheers,

Simon

Iirc it's the outer seals sticking.
VW do a clean & lube kit for the Eos that's suitable for these; 000 096 331 'Special rubber cleaner set for CSC and sliding roofs' It includes an initial cleaning wipe, a secondary cleaning wipe and an aftercare/lube wipe. They advise using at least once a year and it costs about £5.

Last edited:
Thats the same I get if I dont use it very often, but as mentioned, its not very serious.

If you find it only opens part way, release thebutton,drive on for a few seconds, the road will 'joggle' it loose, and press the button again. If it does stick, dont force it to open by keeping the button pressed, as you may damage the mechanism.

I have the EXACT same issue - word for word.

I just asked Audi about the special lubricating grease for the A2 OpenSky and they quoted £30 for small tube!

I used the kit I listed above today, the second pane is smoother than it was having spent the last 8k closed it was fitted at Rinner...hey, it's not been the right weather!

As recommended by Skipton01, Marley Silicon Lube from B&Q does the trick. Clean up the seals with a clean cloth and some WD40 first.

Works for me ;-)

I'm sure I read somewhere that WD40 is absolutely not the right thing to use as it will cause the rubber seals to perish prematurely.

The wd40 is only to be used lightly to clean the seal before using the silicone to properly lube the seals. It has certainly worked for me and done the seals no harm.

Iain

Well, have ordered the VW kit from the local dealer at a cost of £7.50. Shall give it a go and see what happens.

Thanks for the tips so far. :D

Last edited:
Just had a friend over this weekend with his VW EOS. He had heard of the cleaning /application kit mentioned in this thread but he'd purchased just the oil from VW GO 52 172 A1 which had worked wonders on his folding glass roof.
Smeared a little on the edge of the last moving glass panel where it meets the last fixed glass panel and the "popping" has gone.

It works

So, kit collected and applied. Popping has virtually disappeared. :D

The "kit" consisted of three wipes - two alcohol-type thingies and a silicone covered wipe. I think the packaging cost £7, the actual wipes 50p. :rolleyes:

But it did the job. Will be investing in some Marley silicone lube as per the Skipton recommendation for all future applications.

I believe that my OSS is in need of one of these clean & lube kits. However, at the moment, the second panel is stuck rather than just popping. I have seen it open once (at the dealership) but now it just refuses. What are the recommendations for unsticking it initially? With the mesh screen underneath, it isn't possible to push it up from below. I'll give the the bumpy road option a go. Any other suggestions?

Are there any other OSS owners with experience of maintaining one of these in the M25/M4/M3 area who might like to lend me an expert hand? I'm a bit nervous about breaking it completely by trying to force something that shouldn't be forced!

I've just found the number Rinner gave me for 'Special Lubricant for Sliding/Tilting Roof; G 000 450 02'

I'll price it up tomorrow :)

Mine does seem a bit 'poppy' every opening, even the rear of the first pane, I may have to make cleaning & lubing a monthly thing.

I've just found the number Rinner gave me for 'Special Lubricant for Sliding/Tilting Roof; G 000 450 02'

I'll price it up tomorrow :)

Thanks for that. If its not too expensive I think it may sell out very quickly

Cheers Spike

Just done a quick google search for that part number and it sounds like it is £25 or so for a 90g tube!

I just picked up a tube of the Marley's Silicone lube from B&Q as recommended by Skipton at the weekend. A much more reasonable £6.50 for a 100g tube. Although, apparently they keep it in the builder's yard section not in the plumbing section. So if anyone is having trouble finding it, try looking near the drain pipes and gutters rather than near the bath/toilet type pipes. Haven't had chance to use it yet though.

However, I did also grab one of those 3 wipe sets (for £7.50!) from a Skoda dealer during the week. That cured my stuck roof panel :). Unfortunately, I had to take the screen panel out first as it was impossible to reach the back seal any other way. I now seem to have a rattle from the back somewhere which I'm sure I didn't have before. Has anyone else de-screened and noticed a rattle? Possibly more scarily, there where fragments of broken glass in the runner channels! No idea how they could have got there. There was certainly nothing in the service history or garage receipts about replacing a shattered roof. :confused:

PS: Meant to say that if you have a totally stuck rear panel then you obviously need to get it open before you can clean the seals. However, you can't push the panel up with the screen in place as the gap between the two is much larger than the flex in the screen itself, and unless you have a small child available, it is not possible to squeeze your hand in above the screen. The solution I found was to slide a copy of the yellow pages (the new skinny version) in between and then push from underneath. That worked like a charm.

Back