Paint to match hard touch buttons

Un4tural

Hi All,

I've seen few posts from eons ago about soft touch spray paint though most links are dead and one i found is a company that can respray it for you.

Wondering if there is a product i could buy of soft touch or hard touch matching paint (or paint + the matt top coat i guess) that would not burn off in the stupid heat and match the plastics etc. probably better to match hard touch buttons i guess.

Seems a nicer option that replacing with slightly better condition panel as my radio bezel is peeling off the paint and aircon could use a freshen up (though i've got hard touch replacement one i'd like it more fresh)

Only places on all knowing google that do color matched spray paint are body shops as well and none are that close to me to nip by after work... doubt it'd work well to use interior paint :D

apparently this was the stuff for the soft touch buttons - long since discontinued...

Well Darn, thought i might be able to get it from somewhere.

i'd be happy to do the plastics in hard touch black color though - nice sand down and few coats of whatever you'd call that affect black (lenovo laptop keyboard? i think it is supposed to be anti-bacterial with lenovo, something about the texture). was thinking about wrapping however aircon vent for example would be damn impossible though rest of it should be doable.

Found https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-1...ay-12-Ounce/dp/B0009XB3NQ?tag=viglink20461-20 mentioned as looking damn close to OEM color for soft touch so might be worth hunting this down and giving it a test.

anyone have color code for the hard touch plastic? not really sure what official audi name is for that - considering buttons etc. for aircon are hard touch it'd probably be a better/closer match to go with that instead.

:p Tip: I've found, Black VHT (650c) Paint, is always a 'softer black' when dry and a few (very) light coats, left to dry and protected with furniture polish.. (don't buff, unless u want shiny..)
..is not a bad match for the 'soul' soft-touch.. .any brand, give it a go.. you will see.. ?

So many points you raise in your earlier posts above and well worth raising again as no simple answer seems to appear forthcoming.

Some of my rambling thoughts on some of your points for what it is worth.

Soul Black.
This is not full on black but definitely 'off black' with a hint of grey, but nowhere near anthracite in my eyes, I have yet to find a cheap off the shelf rattle can that is an acceptable match, most common rattle cans are too black. The only promising source was suggested by @depronman some time ago of a £4.99 Lidl rattle can black, but despite numerous weekly visits to my local Lidl it was never stocked and I came to the conclusion the branch was too small to carry it:(. [I did actually track down Lidl's suplier who turned out to be what seemed a reputable Germany paint company and I could buy it at £15 + £10 shipping but that was getting silly in my view.]

Have same view with this...

A bit more reasonable, has anybody tried it?

Had the same thought as Bobbysox and high temperature paint, actually bought a can but not yet tried it for a match, should cope with your. high temperature criteria but wonder how it will fare on hard plastic.

Soft Touch.
Beats me why Audi introduced soft touch, a cynic might say built in obsolescence, at least with their poor grade version. The problem is the touchy feely friendly soft touch is really a surface treatment that practically is beyond the home rattle canner, never heard of any success yet there was a hope of DIY solution (not cheap) in the old thread I think you refer to, this one.

The company Wicked Coatings mention in the thread are still in business and seem a good option for a professional refurbishment but I imagine it is not cheap.

Personal view, forget soft touch.

Hard Touch
This is doable, Audi's colour name is 'Satin Black', a full on black. Any off the shelf simple 'black' will be a good match, but my view is that hard touch buttons tend to be slightly shiny I would go for common or garden 'satin black' to to give a hint of sheen. Seen PlastiDip mentioned a few times and might go some way to giving the the soft touch feel and if you are not happy with the result you can simple peel it off apparently (not tried it).

Surface Preparation
Seen mention of ordinary household cleaners (Ajax/Vim) to remove soft touch paint but I went a chemical route, very quick

One last thought, if you intend to spray the radio as well bear in mind you will lose the lettering eg. 'Audi Concert' unless you mask it.

Better not ramble anymore.

Andy

Righto, thanks for the great amount of details @Andrew ordered https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plastiko...hash=item4b61b5d2a8:m:mDw8XhQqVhs_Sd6lwPDOFAg in BLACK RAL 9005 Satin finish, which according to google is the audi matt black color (sating, again according to google is meant to be more coarse finish which i'd imagine is closer to hard touch than matt, will give it a test and see)

to be continued i suppose, will give it a feel with good ol' eye balls and report back.

How are you going to make the masks for the icons? May be worth the time and effort to remove as many buttons / switches first to cut down the masking process.

How are you going to make the masks for the icons? May be worth the time and effort to remove as many buttons / switches first to cut down the masking process.

first i'll match the paint - i was thinking of cutting templates cut from vinyl wrap using a laser cutter. Planning to get the plastic bits done first (trim around the electric window switches, i have hard touch buttons for air con so will just give the plastic surrounds a lick of paint)

Alternatively i'll see about experimenting of doing a stensil apply some hydrophobic type coat for where it is meant to be see through then spray over and clean.

Honestly i feel i'll be happy enough to get large plastic bits looking good for foreseeable future and buttons will be a bonus.

Or a reverse stensil and apply the black then. I though about using a foam pad with the icon hollowed out to apply the paint as a stamp.

first i'll match the paint - i was thinking of cutting templates cut from vinyl wrap using a laser cutter. Planning to get the plastic bits done first (trim around the electric window switches, i have hard touch buttons for air con so will just give the plastic surrounds a lick of paint)

Alternatively i'll see about experimenting of doing a stensil apply some hydrophobic type coat for where it is meant to be see through then spray over and clean.

Honestly i feel i'll be happy enough to get large plastic bits looking good for foreseeable future and buttons will be a bonus.
What laser cutter do you have?

What laser cutter do you have?

Do not have one yet (apparently keeping it on the living room table or kitchen is a NO NO) a friend does have a higher end one though as he used to work for a printing/wrapping company so would go annoy him to help :) will probably grab one off china when i have space to home it.

OK so the above paint matches soft touch finish damn near perfect, will let it dry fully and see how well it sticks and give the little window switch trim a spray over for a test - looks great but it's not the hard touch I was after at all. (pictured a test coat on an old iPhone so it is on glass and wouldnt expect it to stick well)

Will go beat up Google to hopefully get some different answers for what paint would match hard touch.

Update to follow on durability of this paint, if anyone have ideas for hard touch matching paint and finish or some clues please share.

Attachments

• IMG-20190802-WA0012.jpg
    IMG-20190802-WA0012.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 588
I came across this on another forum, unfortunately the photos dont work. May be of some use though.

OK so the above paint matches soft touch finish damn near perfect, will let it dry fully and see how well it sticks and give the little window switch trim a spray over for a test - looks great but it's not the hard touch I was after at all. (pictured a test coat on an old iPhone so it is on glass and wouldnt expect it to stick well)

Will go beat up Google to hopefully get some different answers for what paint would match hard touch.

Update to follow on durability of this paint, if anyone have ideas for hard touch matching paint and finish or some clues please share.
This is great keep the dialogue going, it wil be good to establish what works.

I am a bit confused about what matches what, the two blacks in your picture look different, the window switch housing looks to be soft touch?

Andy

This is great keep the dialogue going, it wil be good to establish what works.

I am a bit confused about what matches what, the two blacks in your picture look different, the window switch housing looks to be soft touch?

Andy

Sorry, yes it is soft touch in picture, just the piece i have at hand to test with but it does match soft touch paint very very close. Guess this would do for someone looking to re-do soft touch.

@audifan in my head i was looking for more of textured finish like hard touch buttons, paint discussed seems to be an excellent match for interior trim panels http://i46.tinypic.com/143ndzn.jpg probably wouldn't be identical to hard touch panels?

Afternoon all,

This is my 5 minute effort trying to achieve a good match of hard touch black roof furniture before proceeding with the full conversion in a few weeks. Not going for anything expensive, black fabric will do for me.

The buttons are from a Mk1 TT. Just waiting to locate a decent black OSS switch.

What you can see below consisted of little to no preparation, I just wiped the panel (Platinum from an A4) down then went straight to 2 coats of paint. I will of course take a lot more time and use primer when I’m doing this conversion, this was a quick effort to see what the colour comes out like. Not perfect by any means but not bad.

I’ll be following this thread to see if anyone does manage to find a better match.

Kind regards,

Tom

Back