Purple Seats

jonjo

Just got my hands on some purple leather seats.

Cant work out if they are faded from red, a custom re-trim, a custom re-paint or an exclusive option from Audi. Any thoughts?

Either way their pretty difficult to look at!

Any pictures, I seem to remember someone in Scotland selling some leather seats that looked distinctly purple recently

Count the number of centre panels in the front seat bases. If there are two (ignoring the thin one where it goes under the backrest), they are a certainly a retrim, otherwise we'd need photos to identify.

I remember someone on here bought one with purple leather retrimmed seats that weren't in wonderful condition, and sold them on. That was maybe a couple of years ago, I wonder if it's those ones that have now made their way to you?

4F1677E4-F5F6-43C9-A5D8-B30B05C73AC9.jpeg

Ace thanks @Proghound good to know the provenance. They weren't alot of money relative to other leather so I'll investigate recolour and tidy up.

I think there might be some good news, if you haven't already found out for yourself. Here is the thread where I last remembered seeing your seats, where you can see that the car they came out of had been modified with some extra switches down by the gearstick, for aftermarket heated seats. Presumably the elements are still under the leather, if so there will be extra wiring that doesn't terminate at the usual yellow and purple airbag plug. In which case you just need to get some more switches, work out some wiring and connect it all up 👍

Edit: It may not be quite that simple, I saw where the car itself was later sold, where it mentions that the heated seats didn't work. Don't know if it was the elements or the wiring to power them that was at fault though. Some testing first, perhaps?

aha, good find!
I'll have a proper read through that later.
The seller had a black TDI75 I think his daughter was learning to drive in.
I had a little check under the fronts and there were two male pin connectors along with the usual Airbag connector but as yet haven't worked out the options for control or circuits.
Definitely a bonus, and I quite like the deeper purple in that VR6 :D

Any recommends for colour options if I use a colour 'refresh'?
Amulet Red is the standard but if I go to all the trouble where's the fun in being standard?

Speaking about the seats.
Normally A2 is a 4-seater.
Are there (as far as you know) any 5-seaters out there?
When I was looking for A2 for my wife, which after her moving on eventually ended up with me, I stumbled upon an ad with a standard bench on the rear with 3 seat belts.
It was 2004 if I remember correctly, also a 55kW TDI.

We don't know the figures for Europe, but there are estimates that about 10% of the 17000-ish A2's sold in the UK were 5-seaters, with the rear bench which won't even split-fold the backrest. Also, the full-on 3L version of the 1.2TDI had a special lightweight 4-seater bench.

Yeah.
I read that the whole shell of the 1.2TDI was special with tons of aerodynamic pockets and stuff.

When I was looking for A2 for my wife, which after her moving on eventually ended up with me, I stumbled upon an ad with a standard bench on the rear with 3 seat belts.
It was 2004 if I remember correctly, also a 55kW TDI.

Sadly I have a 5 seater, I bought one of the "rare" ones, unwittingly.
Not until after I bought it did I realise they seats aren't interchangeable.

🙂👍🏻

Sadly I have a 5 seater, I bought one of the "rare" ones, unwittingly.
Not until after I bought it did I realise they seats aren't interchangeable.
Did you try to just remove them?
A 4-butt's rear has 4 clips and 4 holes. If the bench sits on the same clips/holes, maybe you can do something about it?
On the other hand, what's wrong with a possibility to carry an additional kid in the middle? :)

Did you try to just remove them?
A 4-butt's rear has 4 clips and 4 holes. If the bench sits on the same clips/holes, maybe you can do something about it?
On the other hand, what's wrong with a possibility to carry an additional kid in the middle? :)
The latching system on the underside of the rear bench works on a fundamentally different system. The chassis of the vehicle is different to account for this difference in latching system.

See the photos in the link I posted above.

Cheers,

Tom

Back