Quandry- thoughts please.

Erlingtheelder

A2OC Donor
Last week my A2 was involved in an RTA and sustained fundamentally superficial damage.
55042C0B-0FF3-42A4-AD4F-754A32CC95E4.jpeg

Of course the insurers want to write it off (another was involved so no way round them being involved) and therefore my quandary is I can either take £1072 (after £650 excess) or £422 and keep the car. I’ve tried arguing the toss with them on it in terms of its value and/or the value they place on the salvage without success.

It’s a 2005 tdi 75 sport, its done 145k miles, has a fairly basic spec but a good service history. I only bought it in November paying £1750 and sent it straight to WOM for a thorough check over and cambelt change. They re built the rear drums and in March it was MOT’d and serviced locally to me.

My instinct is the latter route, better the devil you know and all that, however any advice/views/opinions appreciated.

Also, if anyone knows of a Dolphin Grey bumper, bonnet and near side wing available or coming up I’d appreciate it as that would make the decision easier (add already posted in the wanted section- I’m now sorted on the headlight thanks to @Birchalls Son and have already enquired of @Clackers on the panel front but he only has a green one) because I fear the cost of painting swings the balance toward starting again in which case I’ll be the market for a other well cared for tdi.

Thanks
Erling

Pah! T'is but a flesh wound!

You've already spent time and money getting this one up to scratch, trust me; you'll need to do the same again with any new car you buy - So keep this one and repair using good used panels in the correct colour, which as it's a common shade should be straight-forward to source.

Pah! T'is but a flesh wound!

You've already spent time and money getting this one up to scratch, trust me; you'll need to do the same again with any new car you buy - So keep this one and repair using good used panels in the correct colour, which as it's a common shade should be straight-forward to source.
Thanks for that. Provided I can source the panels that is definitely my preference I think.

If you can, get the bumper off, before you decide, then you should. Needs to be looked at carefully, as @Andrew says. Panel damage is one thing, but structural deformation is quite another.
Mac.

Th
That headlight looks a long way back, have you had it verified it is structurally sound?

Andy
Thanks both. Yes, it was professionally inspected by the independent garage who serviced it in March the morning after the incident. They came recommended by a member on here so I’m confident that I’m been given the right advice.

Is that their best offer? Replacement panels will cost you what they are offering. Headlight, crash beam upper and lower air con rad power steering pump chassis leg extension slam panel suspension damage and LABOUR assuming you get panels in the correct colour. Assume they want to record it as Cat c/d also. How badly do you need the car? Can you keep it off road, still have transport and wait for the right parts to come along at a good price? Use it as a spares car? I am leaning towards let the car go and take the whole money. Will the garage that assessed it repair it, will they use supplied parts, was that conditional on further strip. The list goes on, ultimately only you can make the choice. But for me the offer is not high enough to keep a Cat c/d car unless I have missed something very special about the car.

Usually the write it off you get the value and then an option to buy back at a nominal value of say £90!
Sure there a dolphin been broke near me on faceache will try and find it

Is that their best offer? Replacement panels will cost you what they are offering. Headlight, crash beam upper and lower air con rad power steering pump chassis leg extension slam panel suspension damage and LABOUR assuming you get panels in the correct colour. Assume they want to record it as Cat c/d also. How badly do you need the car? Can you keep it off road, still have transport and wait for the right parts to come along at a good price? Use it as a spares car? I am leaning towards let the car go and take the whole money. Will the garage that assessed it repair it, will they use supplied parts, was that conditional on further strip. The list goes on, ultimately only you can make the choice. But for me the offer is not high enough to keep a Cat c/d car unless I have missed something very special about the car.
Nothing special about the car other than I’ve been running it for six months and so it’s something of a known quantity.

In terms of the offer, yes it’s as good as they’re going to give at present at least. They just want to make the problem go away at this stage. I’ll have another crack when I’ve worked out which my preferred route is.

I’m fortunate that I have access to other vehicles so yes, I can take my time acquiring the parts and depending on how many gremlins are lurking, much of the work can be done without needing to pay for labour.

Basically it’s a case of deciding which is least painful outcome because no good one exists.

Usually the write it off you get the value and then an option to buy back at a nominal value of say £90!
Sure there a dolphin been broke near me on faceache will try and find it
That was what I’d hoped for. Sadly they are telling me the scrap value is circa £500 so that’s the ‘buy back’ price as otherwise it would go to auction.
@Sarge has kindly offered me one of the panels at a fair price so it might be one down but any help on the bonnet and bumper would be greatly appreciated.

Is the car on your drive? If so thats extra cost for recovery on top of the £500.
My insurance only values my 2002 at £785

Is the car on your drive? If so thats extra cost for recovery on top of the £500.
My insurance only values my 2002 at £785
Yep, on the drive. I was absolutely planning on making that point in the event I decide to keep it to try and up the offer somewhat. The only saving grace, and I was amazed by this, is that they don’t end the policy. If I keep it it just continues to run once repaired and if I don’t I can swap into into an alternate vehicle (for a fee I’m sure) but I was quite impressed with that. It’s with esure and for a budget insurer they’ve been super efficient tbf.

I know where there is a front slam panel complete with rad and aircon rad it was removed from an fsi some 2 years ago and is sat against a fence
There is a almost certainty that you will need the slam panel as the mounts for the head light are part of the slam panel and with that amount of headlight damage it will have broken the slam panel
I know he want it gone so likely very cheap
It’s in Manchester Bury area

Let me know if it’s any good to you I can make contact and establish a price but don’t want to get the guy interested unless you defiantly want it

Cheers. Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know where there is a front slam panel complete with rad and aircon rad it was removed from an fsi some 2 years ago and is sat against a fence
There is a almost certainty that you will need the slam panel as the mounts for the head light are part of the slam panel and with that amount of headlight damage it will have broken the slam panel
I know he want it gone so likely very cheap
It’s in Manchester Bury area

Let me know if it’s any good to you I can make contact and establish a price but don’t want to get the guy interested unless you defiantly want it

Cheers. Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Paul, Yes, I thought I might well do so that could be fantastic if it’s in decent shape. I’ll PM you

Back