Recommendations for back plate/dust covers/stone guards/splash panel (take your pick ;)

Alan_uk

A2OC Donor
Hi. MOT on Friday. It doesn't run out until a month's time, just getting in early as last year had advisory re pitting on front disks. Hardly used the car since the last MOT - just 2,000 miles, but I know the pitting gets worse if the car is idle. I'll probably go for Mintex disks and pads again - last lot fitted at 50,000 (replacing the originals). A2 now at 90,000.

This time the back plate/dust covers/stone guards/splash panel (take your pick ;) should be changed as they are rather rusty. Has anyone any recommendations? The part number would provide reassurance I'm ordering the right bits. It's a 1.4 TDI 75 2004

I seen some on the web marked as aluminium - is there really a choice of steel or aluminium? Seen some Klokkerholm (a Danish company) at £12 each https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/ca...9/brake-disc-back-plate.html?criteria[100]=VL They are in-stock - many makes are not.

Also any recommendations about giving them some extra protection?

Thanks
Alan

@audifan Many thanks for a quick response and the part number.

I know they are not part of the MOT but if the disks are being changed by a garage then it makes sense to change them if they are in danger of breaking up and for relatively little extra cost.

As they are in the area anyway it makes perfect sense as the disks would have to be removed to fit them at a later date.

I ordered some from eBay that were genuine VW, they are still out there and not expensive. Just be conscious the bolts holding them on will be seized or rounded off with rust! there are 3 and two of mine had disintegrated so definitely Order those too and be prepared to extract the ones there. Worth changing though they really tidy up behind the wheels

My MOT tester told me they would fail a splash guard that is falling off but take them both off and it is problem solved. But then your brakes won't work when it rains.
Aluminium guards will rot quickly unless you fit nylon washers between the screw head and the guard and between the guard and bearing housing. Then they last forever.

Last edited:
Hi Andrew. I was just generally searching for the guards to get an idea of price when I saw one made of Aluminium, which surprised me.

I've just gone back to my browser history.

On this page https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/ca...a2-8z0/13359/15099/brake-disc-back-plate.html the Splash Panel, brake disc VAN WEZEL 5829374 is Zinc coated as are the Splash Panel, brake disc METZGER 6115055 and the Splash Panel, brake disc AIC 56015

Ah, found aluminium one on ebay - can one trust the seller the details are correct (low sales count) and also the ebay vehicle selector that these fit the A2? eBay prices seem quite high but they do invariably include p&p which is pain when buying 2.

I did recall seeing one mentioned on one of the major parts company website but cannot find it again. Sorry.

Alan

Smashing! Thank you @Alan_uk

This might be something to order to have in for when my brakes next need service work.

PS not sure I would trust the description of aluminium on an item which has to be imported. Imagine how difficult it might be to return if it turns out to be zinc coated steel

I wonder if an enterprising chap like Paul @depronman manufactures them from GRP or similar ?

Last edited:
Back