Risky Decision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am in the process of deciding what to replace a Passat 1.8T with, the A2 is the daily transport of SWMBO.

Test drives so far are Octavia Elegance TDI 130 Est. and Mondeo Mk4 2.0TDCI (Zetec 115bhp hatch and Ghia 128bhp est).

So far the Skoda seems to be winning but the family won't let me have one! Feels better built than the Mondeo, ride/handlng better than the Passat, ride better than Mondeo, handling not as good. Spec is better than both, especially on L&K version and with the ASL turned off it is fun in the wet! Are the family right to avoid the Skoda or should I stands firm, after all the components are the same as you get in VW/Audi as is the QA system they are built to - dealers have a better reputation as well!

Was trying to avoid the outgoing Passat but the new highline spec looks promising, SE spec plus leather and winter pack for £130 more than SE at list. Pity they do not fit the 115bhp engine!

Ian

2002 1.4 Petrol SE, silver with climate control.
Why are NEARLY all the A2s in Lichfield are silver ? ? ?

Update - Decision now on hold pending drive in Accord Diesel - it works out £15 more than a Passat SE 130TDI on lease and about £20 cheaper when taking account of tax and fuel!

Ian

You will love the Accord diesel. I just know you will.

Of course my assumption is based on every car magazine review of the new Accord diesel saying it is the best-even better than the BMW 2.0d. Personally I ain't been near the thing!.

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

If you want my opinion too (Honda-minded as I am):

I think the Octavia is a nice, but bland and dated model. Drives well indeed (had one for a day once), but doesn't inspire.
The Mondeo is an outstanding car. Good looks, well equiped, good handling and will take you anywhere on those long journeys, BUT, everybody has one! If you have an A2, then surely you don't want to counter-act the uniqueness of your A2 with the omni-presence of the Mondeo, do you?

And then the Accord. Didn't read to much about it, but seeing it (either sedan or estate) makes my heart skip every time: what a great looking car! The nose, the taillights, the profile, they're all perfect! I want one! And appearently nobody else wants one, because I spot them only once a week or so. Why not? With such looks and with what must be Honda-worthy handling this should be a winner. And it cheaper than your other options too? Go for it!

Upon reading that again, I must sound very biased ;)
Good luck in choosing. It's always tough.

--
Edo
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp)

Swiv

Taking into account tax. fuel and lease the Honda is cheaper overall than the Passat (Passat residuals going through the floor?) but about even with Mondeo (115Ghia or 130Zetec) and about £40 more than the Skoda. Big benefit is that it will be around £60 a month less than my current Passat (big saving on tax going from petrol to diesel)

The Mondeo is a fantastic drive but with the 128bhp diesel you only benefit from the extra 13bhp if you push it hard and then it returns less than 40mpg. Sony radio is too low and fiddly, cold feet unless temp is set at 24C or more, visor edge is short of the pillar (great on bright sunny winter mornings with a low sun), cruise and trip controls click or beep whenever you push a button (annoys the wife) but VERY ecomonical if treated gently- around 60mpg and enourmous inside.

Only problem is delaying the order for the new one until (i) I can get a test drive in a Honda diesel, and (ii) they decide how much more they want of me to meet the deficit in our pension fund!

Ian

quote:Originally posted by ianjohnsonws14

and (ii) they decide how much more they want of me to meet the deficit in our pension fund!

[14][17]Yep, me to. 2.5% of salary this year, 2.5% next year, and 5% for every year after. Bye bye what little pay rise we would have got, and in real terms going backwards.

Don't work for Norwich Union do you?

Probably get paid in rupee's next month.

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

Steve - YOU GOT A PAY RISE!!!!!!!!

All we get is "you are lucky to have a job"

Ian

Well with 2350 staff going to India, it's like that here too.

In fact at the end of Jan I am expecting the redundancy notice. Ba****ds.

Steve

I went through it 8 years ago after 14 years with the same employer.

After 3 months, 96 applications and 10 interviews I was offered a job, it was stressful at the time but looking back it was one of the best things to happen to me. Am in the third job since then, now if they p*** me off too much I walk - sod the job-for-life culture.

Ian

Ian

Been here for 13 years now, and each year (or 6 months!) there has been some restructure, moving of work, downsizing, streamlining, reshuffle etc etc so I just don't give a fig anymore.

I'll go and do my passion-gardening-for a living! As you say, it may be the start of something new and great! And I could get an A2, black out the rear windows and use it as a van!.

My lifetime career meant I had to be a bit careful. After retirement I was head hunted to be Chief Exec of an international charity, after 3 years they p****d me off so much I told them to stuff their job up their Jacksie, wonderful feeling ,great adrelin rush, best thing I ever did! Bad news day today Big C is back , chemo awaits again. Sorry its off subject but it seems important at the moment.

Damn right its important - but you've fought it once and you'll do it again.
Unfortunately, my Dad got the Big C diagnosis a couple of weeks ago so I'm with you on the importance, everything else gets put into perspective , kind of view point.

All the very best and if you want a stranger to vent any frustrations at, they don't come much stranger than [email protected] I've done my fair share of venting & questioning over the last couple of years and I find it most therapeutic - well that and a trip in the A2 listening to some Vivaldi.

Don't drink drive! Not only is it socially unaceptable, it also harms A2's.
Was a 1.4SE petrol. http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk14.htm http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/safety.htm
New A2 - Ebony Black, Red Leather, CC, Symphony + all the previous options we had.

When you are younger, you can go through life thinking everything is ok. Then things start happening, family and friends depart, and you get thinking about life. At the end of it all, you do what matters to you, not what anyone else thinks or expects you to do. Priorities in life are what matter-your priorities.

hollyrescue-you keep fighting and fighting so you can be around to enjoy your priorities. We are all behind you.

Just like the man said.
Go for it.
There really is a lot of sense and compassion on this forum.
Long may it be so.
I shall miss it in February.

Thanks to all. I'll fight on and continue to enjoy this forum . Anyone who smokes is welcome to come with me to the chemo sessions-you'll stop. I'm a reformed smoker from about 40 years ago (and as anyone will tell, they are the worst).

Received a message from Honda (via Fleet Manager) on Friday - "If I want a dDiesel Accord this year then I have to order it now"!!!!! Almost all of 2004's UK allocation is filled.

This is a car with no brochure, no demonstrators (Due February), no retail price list !!!

Order submitted via dealer today - lease company to sort out later. At least I have a place in the queue. Accord tourer diesel executive, Indigo Blue with Ivory leather. Comes with split aircon, CD changer, cruise, electric heated seats, alloy wheels . . . . . . all for the same cost as a Mondeo Ghia 115hp Diesel!

Test drive anticipated sometime February. Will get a chance to drive a petrol next week.

Ian

Have just checked the Honda website and the revised emissions for the Accord are 143g - 10 less than the previously p[ublished figures - gets better and better!

Ian

Tourer is my favourite too... very nice and "different" next to an A2...

One thing I think you should get is the sat-nav... the standard Accord dash display is the most awful digital display since the invention of the digital watch IMHO. You never know what station you're tuned to as it may as well be written in Japanese! The sat nav replaces all this with wonderful colour graphics...

____________________________________________________________________________________
[img=left]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-2/11882/a2andme2.gif[/img=left]
2001 A2 TDI SE Crystal Blue with Open Sky, 6CD Symphony II, BOSE upgrade, DIS and HALF a winterpack!

iPAQ 3970 with Sat-Nav sleeve, rear cupholders, luggage net and floppy wiper!

http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk23.htm

Johann - the one you drove must have been different - Exec gets "premium sound system" including a big bose sub-woofer in the boot. Display is fine and sound great.

Drove both Diesel and 2.0 Petrol on Monday - Diesel had only done around 300 miles and was great - perfo0rmance similar to my 1.8T Passat (140hp and loads of torque). Petrol good but has to be reved a little more.
Order for Indigo blue exec tourer confirmed, just can't wait to get it.

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back