Rusty Rear Drums - No More!!

Darren C

A2OC Donor
A "bank holiday weekend"; what better than an opportunity to lavish some TLC on the A2. :D

Today's project for me, was a putting right something that was beginning to annoy me every time I washed the car. The cars bodywork and alloy wheels would always come up pristine after a bit of elbow grease; just one part was starting to let the finish down - "Rusty Rear Drums"!! :(

I am aware that painting the rear drums has been featured many times before; but having spent time and effort today, I must say that I am well pleased with the finished result. With an enhanced visual look, I thought that I would post some "before" and "after" pictures for those of you who may be considering doing the same.

Preparation is a rub over with a wire brush to remove the surface build up and any flaky remnants, followed by a wash with a mild detergent and a thorough drying off.
For the all important coating, I chose to use a tin of that top stuff "Hammerite" - which is well renowned as a rust treatment, primer and top coat all in one and a claimed 5 years protection can be achieved with the recommended two coat application. Speaking of which; the application is very easy, (made easier with the removal of the drum itself), coverage is excellent, (even with the first coat), the paint is touch dry in 2 hours and a second coat can be applied within 4-8 hours dependant upon conditions. The drying time is really the only thing that makes this a long job; hence this weekend was ideal, as I still get two days to myself. :)

I would thoroughly recommend that anyone who has the "rusty drum syndrome" and is contemplating this solution - to "just do it!!"; you won't regret it.

Cheers,

Darren

Cheers Carl!!

It is amazing just how much personal satisfaction you get from tinkering successfully with your motor; imagine how much satisfaction Mike must get though!! - LOL!! :D

It does look nice Darren - gone for a matching colour too I see - I chose black (yeah, I know - so predictable!) for the drums on the Little Tank.

I do get a lot of satisfaction from the mods to Tank, you're right. I can't claim much from the work done this weekend, as it was the Backstreet Boys who did it, not me.

However, things like getting the new TT wheel to work with the A2s CAN bus system do give me immense satisfaction, as does anything that Audi say can't be done (ie. RNS-E, armrests and so on).

Cheers,

Mike

PS Was it you that rang Stealth yesterday about remaps?

My son did his calipers on his Astra yesterday, but he used the red caliper paint from Halfords,

It really looks good

After the first coat he wanted to let it dry for a day before applying the second coat, but on the tin says that the second coat, needs to be applied within 12 hours, otherwise you have to wait 6 weeks:confused: :confused:

I only read that line at 11 o'clock at night, so he had to go out in the dark with some site lights and finish the calipers off :D :D

I think i will do mine next week - I was thinking of painting them Yellow

Looks great Darren - identical to mine! A job well worth doing - be warned though, you'll need to re-paint them next year - I re-coated mine about 6 weeks ago when fitting the bodykit

Skipton01 said:
It does look nice Darren - gone for a matching colour too I see - I chose black (yeah, I know - so predictable!) for the drums on the Little Tank.

I do get a lot of satisfaction from the mods to Tank, you're right. I can't claim much from the work done this weekend, as it was the Backstreet Boys who did it, not me.

However, things like getting the new TT wheel to work with the A2s CAN bus system do give me immense satisfaction, as does anything that Audi say can't be done (ie. RNS-E, armrests and so on).

Cheers,

Mike

PS Was it you that rang Stealth yesterday about remaps?

Hi Mike,

"Yes" it was me mate!! During my conversation with Vince, he did mention that you were there having some work done, :)D), and in my eagerness to discuss things A2; I only realised when I put the phone down that I forgot to say "Hi!!" - sorry dude!! :eek:

As you know, I have some issues with the power delivery under full throttle after my remap some months back. I just took it as a "quirk" after Audi couldn't find anything wrong, but now, I have decided to let her loose on the rolling road and put her in the expert hands of Vince and Co. I realise that I may be paying "twice", but if the car is "tip top" afterwards, then I don't really mind. I was even toying at one point, (wait for it...), with passing on the old girl to Di, (she is not in love with that A-Class), and buying a "225 TT" for myself. I had even been scouring the net for one and it was only after washing the car Saturday morning and standing back admiring her, that I thought... "nope, I can't get rid of her... not even to the wife"; besides the expense of my mods, (and you should know as you have been involved in some...:D), the car is now so personal to me and looks great. (£35 a year road tax and great fuel economy make for other reasons not to run a "TT" too, I guess). Anyhow, after the decision to keep her, I made the decision to get the mapping sorted and called Vince.

A tad more TLC on the rear drums, (thanks for the comment), and I am almost as happy as.... you get the idea!! Having read your other post, I know that you are pleased with the Stealth guys work... roll on, (pun intended), 26th May, I say!!

Cheers,

Darren

driveforward said:
Looks great Darren - identical to mine! A job well worth doing - be warned though, you'll need to re-paint them next year - I re-coated mine about 6 weeks ago when fitting the bodykit

Hi Ian,

I am sceptical about "It does exactly what it says on the tin..." type stuff and seriously doubt this 5 year protection claim; more like 5 months, I suspect!!

Thanks for the warning, but I had factored in the need to re-coat again before Winter sets in. I guess the more you apply, then eventually you will get 12-18 months "rust free" drums.

Thanks for the comment too, hope that body kit of yours is still in A1 or should that be A2 condition!! ;)

Cheers,

Darren

Last edited:
ULP said:
Looks good Darren, did you manage with the old Astra's jack?

Hi Mate,

I borrowed my Dad's axle stands and just used the A2 jack to raise the vehicle initially. (I did source the old Vauxhall one for you and it is in the garage for when you next come over - just after your hols, I hope!!).

As for you considering a Vauxhall for Marie... now there is a turn up for the books. Tigra, by chance?? ;)

I know what you mean about the A2 buddy, but I have always craved after a TT. When all is said and done however, you just can't beat this innovative funky little car, even with one that has 4 wheel drive and comes with 225 horsepower under your right foot!!

Long live the A2!!

Cheers,

Darren

P.S. Happy to pop over with a can of Hammerite and help sort your drums out, whilst the girls chill and talk all things non vehicular!! :)

ULP said:
Need to do it sometime, they do look ace. Do they do a spray version at all that I can do the smarts wheels with? Perhaps we could spend a day over with you when the holiday season has finished! Are you going to have a re-remap at Stealth then?

I bought my paint from Halfords and didn't notice any spray, but then again I wasn't looking for it!! I am sure that I have seen Hammerite spray paint in the past, so I guess that that would be your best option to 'smarten' up your 'smart'!! (Sorry, couldn't resist!! :D)

I have sent you a text mate, so we can sort something out when you return from holiday and I can get some revenge on the PS2 afterwards - in fact if I give you a hand, you might even feel inclined to let me win for once!! ;)

As for the remap,; possibly!! Vince will save my modded file and do a rolling road with that file and one back in standard form. If there is a simple fixable issue, (i.e. a split hose), then this will be undertaken and my remap installed or a new custom remap if I choose. If it proves more problematic, (i.e. a knackered / failing turbo), then I guess it will be back to standard, with a report from Vince and trip to the dealership to replace under warranty; and finally back to Stealth to remap once resolved.

Interesting times ahead!! :confused:

Cheers,

Darren

Best of luck for the 26th - I'll be chuckling to John Shuttleworth that evening, so roll on for me too!

If anyone can sort out your issues, it's Vince and the Backstreet Boys (John, Graham and Robin) - hopefully you'll be fully sorted on the 27th and in time for the camping trip!

Cheers,

Mike

So i bottled out, yes i did say i was going to paint the drums yellow.

But i used the left-over paint from my son, so it became red, and actually it looks really good

Next week i will paint the calipers and then i will show some picuters

PS are those calipers easy to take off, as i took the drums off to make painting easier (actually i tell a lie, the wife painted the drums :D i only cleaned them)

Chris
Who cannot wait untill both calipers are painted to show it all off

I still find it hard to understand how Audi could have approved the useless original coating of the brake drums. Audi has probably spent huge amounts of money over the years in corrosion protection research and still thay manage to make an obvious error like this. Do they think it doesn't matter how the brake drums look??

Coming from the land of road salt, I have had numerous sandblasting and grinding attacks with previous vehicles and have developed a kind of a sixth sense in detecting potential corrosion that will develop in time.
By just looking at the brake drums I immediately identified them as 'top priority' and did them before they had the chance to start to rust.
I also sprayed all the underbody steel components with a thick layer of anti corrosion spray since the original paint is almost as bad as the brake drums.

The shock absorbers and springs are not sprayed but the rest are.

Also notice the deflecting rubber sheets on the suspension arm. On my previous A2 the paint on the suspension arms suffered from severe stone/grit chipping from the front tires.

I also had to prevent similar damage to the very exposed rear wheel arches. Attaching picture of my previous A2, the Akoya has the same protective plastic sheets.

Xiter said:
I still find it hard to understand how Audi could have approved the useless original coating of the brake drums. Audi has probably spent huge amounts of money over the years in corrosion protection research and still thay manage to make an obvious error like this. Do they think it doesn't matter how the brake drums look??

I said almost the same words to my local Audi dealer and they replied that the items (drums and suspension arms) are serviceable (i.e. replaceable) items.

Quote (Mid 2006)
Front Lower Arms: £372
4 Wheel Alignment: £94
Rear Drums: £116
Total: £582

I will do the drums myself and then wait until the arms need changing (e.g. worn bushes) and then make sure the new ones are well protected.

If you paint the calipers for the front discs can you get a sticker maybe the audi rings to go on the caliper? Gona get some paint as soon as i decide red or black.

Xiter said:
I also had to prevent similar damage to the very exposed rear wheel arches. Attaching picture of my previous A2, the Akoya has the same protective plastic sheets.
I see you even had colour-matched valve caps!

Now there's attention to detail/

Cheers,

Mike

Back