Seat Leon Ecomotiv

dan_b

A2OC Donor
Just wondering, does any one have any experience of the Seat Leon 1.6TDi ecomotive? Not the brand new current-gen model, but the previous one around 2010 era?
Any thoughts, or car tests?

Hello,

I've recently used one of these as a hire car in Northern Ireland. The car was a 1.6TDI on a 12 plate, which I think is the same generation as 2010.

It was driven on coastal roads mainly and whilst much softer than the A2, was very comfortable with big comfy seats and deep section tyres.

Fuel consumption was incredible, it is very easy to achieve 70 MPG average without trying, and the best over around 50 miles being 85.2 MPG. Average over four days and 425 miles was 68.3 MPG.

Interior was a nice place to sit, although slightly plasticicky compared to the A2. Dashboard is a nice material with a slightly spongey feel to it. Most of the controls are from other VAG cars, so all easy to use and familiar. Plenty of rear legroom and big boot, although the carpet in the boot around the tailgate seemed to be poorly attached as it was all coming away around the edge, surprising on a 2 year old car.

Engine was fairly torquey, but clearly didn't feel as fast as 2.0TDI VAG cars. The car struggled with a couple of hills in second gear, as it is very long geared from second upwards. Despite this, would sit for hours in 5th gear at 40 MPH without struggling.

In summary, a nice car with a strong and efficient engine, plenty of space and good interior. If I were buying the car personally, I'd avoid the silver paint as it didn't look right on the car somehow and upgrade to alloy wheels, the trims were okay but looked very difficult to clean and didn't suit the car well.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Matt.

We have 2 at work.

They are economical, gutless though. Not fun to drive, but ideal for a run around if you want one.

When you say gutless, how does it compare to the stock 75TDi A2 performance? It's a more torquey engine, but of course a much heavier car... I was thinking the net result would be fairly similar performance-wise?
Does anyone re-map their Bluemotions/Ecomotives?!

Our daughters boyfriend has a 2010 Leon Eco 1.6tdi. It is ok, although i would say my A2 tdi's felt quicker. I have had a A1 1.6tdi but i am not sure if it is the same engine or newer version than the Leon, but if it has a DPF filter you will not get as high mpg as a A2 tdi. DPF filters are a nightmare.

Also i would not remap a 1.6tdi as it is a weak engine for remapping according to a few remap technicians. Bent pistons are known to happen due to the soft piston ring compound in this engine.

Go for a 2.0tdi, it is so much better. Or stay with a specced up remapped A2 tdi 90 :D

From my reading I would agree with above, the 1.6TDi at least in its earlier form does not seem to be one of VAG's finest products although DPF issues are usually avoided with a regular Italian tune up. I would guess the 2.0TDi is in real world terms a better balance of performance/economy. The better Leon Ecomotive might be one of the very early ones which still used the venerable 1.9TDi engine in a low state of tune. That engine is almost indestructible and is very torquey too. Also bear in mind all these engines are fitted in VW's and Skoda's too using Bluemotion or Greenline badging.

Interesting. I didn't know that the 1.6TDi was a weak engine, what were VAG up to with that one then?

Are the current-gen BlueEcoGreens actually capable of getting the 80+ MPGs they're advisertised as? I see Audi might also be doing a "green" tune-level with their "Ultra" models for the A4/5/6?

Are the current-gen BlueEcoGreens actually capable of getting the 80+ MPGs they're advisertised as? I see Audi might also be doing a "green" tune-level with their "Ultra" models for the A4/5/6?

Not in my experience of owning a new 1.6 105ps and 2.0 tdi 143ps Audi.

The A2 tdi will beat both in the mpg returns.

Without wishing to drift from the OP my 2004 A3 2.0TDi gave around 55 mpg when new and the old 1998 A4 runabout I have used recently with the 1.9TDi engine in 110bhp form, 155k miles and in need of TLC gives 55mpg too..... So far my 2.7TDi A6 estate is giving around 47mpg (on the computer). Progress? The current gen engines are simply designed to satisfy legislators in Brussels who generally know b8gger all about engine design. My view is a larger torquey lazy engine is likely to give better mpg than a small buzz box.

Im currently driving a 2005 A3 2.0 tdi 140 which is returning better mpg than both A1 tdi's driving the same style and routes. The A3 does not have a DPF filter, so as above i suspect most new DPF tdi engines are designed for the legislators rather than best mpg returns.

The old A3 i have is around 5mpg up on the A1's and is very easy to hit a high mph just like the A2's were.

Not surprised. How long will it be before the real world MPG of Fords 3 cyl 1.0L buzz box starts to gain adverse comments as did Fiat with their 2 cyl engine in the 500? Mazda have it right with their skyactive approach to engine design eeking out maximum efficiency from large engines which in real world use appear to be giving good results.

The problem with the Renault engine is it is French..... I too have read it seems to give genuine real world economy but would only consider the Note which at least is built in the UK and in packaging terms is not entirely unlike the A2 tardis approach.

Last edited:
Not surprised, all manufacturers have to pull all the tricks they can to meet EU legislation regarding corporate fleet average mpg/co2. I just hope they are not let down by poor reliability.

Not surprised. How long will it be before the real world MPG of Fords 3 cyl 1.0L buzz box starts to gain adverse comments as did Fiat with their 2 cyl engine in the 500? Mazda have it right with their skyactive approach to engine design eeking out maximum efficiency from large engines which in real world use appear to be giving good results.
Yes I recently drove the best part of a 300 mile round trip using the new Mazda CX-5 2.2 litre skyactiv, I was astounded to see I only used just over quarter of a tank of diesel and I wasn't exactly hanging around either, revving high through all the gears to make the most of the torquey engine, very nice car to drive with lots of incar gadgets to play with, had I had unlimited reserves of money in the bank I could definitely go for one!

So it would seem the HonestJohn "real world MPG" website reckons the 1.6TDi Ecomotiv only manages 51MPG in the hands of normal people?

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/seat/leon-2005/16-tdi-ecomotive

Are there ANY recent cars out there (that I'd want to drive!) that actually offer a genuine MPG gain over what we're used to with our 10-15year old A2s?

51mpg is about right for that engine.

No, i don't think there are ANY cars out there that are similar to the A2 as in mpg/quality/etc.

Apart from maybe a Tesla? I would love one of those! :D

Back