Servicing and Cambelt Costs??

andyman

Hi all well just come back from 5 days in France (unfriendly face to face and mad behind the wheel!!) anyway done about 450 miles and got just over 50mpg which was 3 up and FULLY loaded with luggage and Ollie didnt miss a beat bless him.
However Ollie is coming up to two years without a service and so will nedd his 60,000miles service and as a precaution I want to get the cam belt done as well,
Firstly do I need to get the water pump done at the same time??, if so am I correct in thinking it will not incure extra labour??.
Secondly can anyone give me any ideas what it will cost for the three jobs??.
60k Service,
Cam Belt incl all Pullies,
Water Pump.
Also how many hours is the cam belt and water pump to replace together pls?,
Did phone ipswich Audi for quotes but the chap didnt get back to me as promised!!??.
I was also thinking of trying Robinsons audi too!!- Good idea??
I only know of one independant round my way and he was dreadful when he worked on our old A4 and let us down badly and without even an explanation or apology so I wont use him again.
Advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Regards Andy.

Last edited:
I paid £180 for cam belt and waterpump today at a vw dealer. They need to be done at the same time.

^^^^^^^^^Which dealer, I would be prepared to drive 100 miles to get it for that price!!

Exactly! £180 is terrific value. I had an overheating issue a couple of weeks back. A small leak in a pipe. The garage noted that one of the cam belts spindles was split so the cam belt was changed and a new water pump was added too. Apparantly the Audi original water pump has bonded plastic vanes (that frequently fail) whereas the non original part fitted had a brass one.

Total bill £380.

But the A2 is running really very well again. Last week did a trip from Skipton to Hythe, Kent and back via Maldon, Essex. circa 700 miles. Was great.

Mark are you implying that a patern water pump would be best??.
Was proportion of that £380 bill was for cam belt and water pump and its labour, do you know ??.

Regards Andy.

It's in brierley hill, dudley, west midlands. I can give you the name/address if you want

180 is a brilliant price for the job!

I had cambelt, water pump and a new clutch done at the same time last month. All in £640 at APS near Brackley after friend recommendation. Although there was a problem that a manifold was broken on resembling the engine back to the car, they took on the extra repair and new parts worth ~£400 and did not charge me a penny extra.

When I went in, I asked if they could do a VAG-COM check on a faulty temp sensor affecting the air con. Even though they made a lost on the job with the extra repair, they still managed to find the sensor, checked that it was burnt wires and replaced it for FREE! Although I had to wait a few days to get my car back, at least I came out with full power air con for the couple of hot days this summer. Dealers will never be this good.

Glad to hear you had some success mate,
My story is going to be more exspensive I fear as i just got a call from Ipswich Audi and their charges would be,
60k Service, £283.72
Cambelt and Water Pump, £527.51
Which I though was rather steep.

Just had a chat with robinsons in Norwich and they said £330.84 just for the 60k Service and they will get back to me about the Cam Belt and Water Pump costs!! 9not sure I'm gonna want to answer the phone:eek:).

Anybody know if I get all this done at a normal garage( and I know a good one) would any of the body or paint warrenties be voided , like if Skipton can get Audi to sort Alloy body cracking done wold lack of dealer history affect my situation??.

OK Shock Horror Robinsons rang back and the price for a Cam Belt and Water Pump is,,,,,,,,,£895.06(cue Fainting!!)

Regards Andy.

Last edited:
It may be worth your while to have a bit of a drive to a different dealer or even an Independant.

There are plenty of Ebay ads from proper Audi dealers offering cambelt changed for £250-275, including parts and labour and the service itself can be done by any good garage.

Speak to Driveforward or Richard- for more info on where they were serviced and how little it cost.

For the sake of a day off work and a bit of fuel money, you can save a couple of hundred pounds or more.

If you wanted to try Awesome GTi in Manchester, their prices are shown on the website (www.awesome-gti.co.uk) and you can bring the family and have a day out at the Trafford Centre while the work is being done. Mind you, there is then the risk of spending all that cash that you travelled to save!!

Cheers,

Mike

Sorry Andyman
I used an independant in Skipton. They used to work for the main VW dealers in town till about 8 years ago or so and my Passat(s) and Mk3 GTI were always well cared for. Yes they recommended a patern water pump as they reckon they've changed several A2 water pumps, stated that there was a weakness in the design. With so many pumps failing they may have a point. Does anyone else have a view on this? I think the cost of the pump was circa £39. They also recommended a cam belt change but this became necessary anyway as one of the spindles was split. As I say the cars running very well again.

Just been to Manchester and back. Sorry I did not see you Mike, always on the look out on the M60!

Thanks everone looks like I shall be doing some more shopping arround.
Skipton will a normal garage service history effect any paint or body warrenty claims like the alloy cracking problem pls??.
As I do think that in the future this will be even more of an issue.

Thanks everone looks like I shall be doing some more shopping arround.
Skipton will a normal garage service history effect any paint or body warrenty claims like the alloy cracking problem pls??.
As I do think that in the future this will be even more of an issue.

As long as the work carried out by an independant garage was nothing to do with the area in question, your warranty is safe.

I've replaced a lot of parts for instance and my warranty is still being honoured, even for things that I thought might not be covered (eg my clutch and flywheel were replaced under warranty, even though the engine is re-mapped.

Cheers,

Mike

PS They need to use genuine parts though, so no aftermarket water pump unfortunately.

Thanks Mike, and all others, advice and thoughts appreciated:)

Ipswich Audi, I don't know were to start regarding the problems I have had with that dealer. even if they were offering a good price i think i would pass. Let me know were you ended up

I had mine done at Southampton Breeze over a year ago. They charged me for three hours labour (@ £75 each) plus £86 for the bits, plus VAT:
about £365 in total. I would go to Abtech in Totton now. (£47/hour).

Didn't get the water pump done at the same time (should have checked A2OC first!) so fingers crossed until next time...

£180 sounds like a fantastic price. Good luck with that.

Dev

service

i had a 40k service and a metal impellar water pump and a cam belt change on the octavia vrs at jabbasport for £520 (i think)check there web site

OK here we go ,
Had a chat with my usual garage who are a bog standard local affair and so far very good,
They gave me the following quotes,
Cam Belt, £270.25-Incl all pullies.
Water Pump, £71.08 -Genuine.
60k Service, £156.27- incl Brake fluid change and Oil filter but not others as they wont change them unless needed.

So all in should be about £497.60.

What do you all think??.:)

Regards Andy.

OK here we go ,
Had a chat with my usual garage who are a bog standard local affair and so far very good,
They gave me the following quotes,
Cam Belt, £270.25-Incl all pullies.
Water Pump, £71.08 -Genuine.
60k Service, £156.27- incl Brake fluid change and Oil filter but not others as they wont change them unless needed.

So all in should be about £497.60.

What do you all think??.:)

Regards Andy.

That's not bad, but I can't see why they're charging over£70 for fitting a £20 water pump - there's no extra labour involved if thry're doing the cambelt.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike the £71.08 is for a Genuine Water Pump and Fitting, they say that the labour is to actually tkae it off and fit new one and to drain then refill water system and bleed system and for antifreeze.
I'm asuming they dont atually have to take off the water pump to be able to do thr cam belt??,- Hence the extra labour.
This garage is good but they wont do nothing for nothing- not even replacing a bulb!!.

Back