Should I bother buying diesel ?!!

A2 Louis

Banned
Hi all thinking of buying a Audi a2 tdi abit of a project but should i bother as there is laws apparently stopping them going in to towns in 2020 ? Is this true ?

Thanks

Depends on where you want to visit - if you want to frequent places like central London, Birmingham, Manchester or similar, then you'll struggle past 2025 - although there's plans afoot to implement ULEV zones in big towns and cities starting in 2020, I can't see councils getting their acts together sooner than 2025.

However, they could also include older petrol cars too, so you could be stuffed in a 15 year old petrol A2 just as much as in a TDi.

Buy what you want to buy and enjoy the car in the interim.

And I'm not giving you advice that goes against what I've done - I've driven diesel cars for nearly 20 years now. I went to petrol electric hybrid in 2015 when I bought the e-tron and I actually handed it back last year - it was that bad!

I planned on getting an all electric car to replace it, but after a lot of messing about and looking at the figures, I went for another diesel instead and don't regret it at all.

And I'm not giving you advice that goes against what I've done - I've driven diesel cars for nearly 20 years now. I went to petrol electric hybrid in 2015 when I bought the e-tron and I actually handed it back last year - it was that bad!

I planned on getting an all electric car to replace it, but after a lot of messing about and looking at the figures, I went for another diesel instead and don't regret it at all.

This sounds like useful real world experience Mike - what was so bad about the Hybrid? I had a Civic hybrid which I disliked - you had to brake in a 'harsh' way or the battery just become discharged.

Simon.

However, they could also include older petrol cars too, so you could be stuffed in a 15 year old petrol A2 just as much as in a TDi.

You will be able to drive a Euro4 petrol in the London ULEZ after April without extra charge, for the time being at least.

RAB

yes A2 1.4 petrol is one of the few older cars ULEZ exempt, thanks to its Euro IV classification which is why I became interested in getting one in the first place. Thank you Mr Khan ...silver linings and all that

yes A2 1.4 petrol is one of the few older cars ULEZ exempt, thanks to its Euro IV classification which is why I became interested in getting one in the first place. Thank you Mr Khan ...silver linings and all that
I did exactly the same thing. Probably only a major concern for the London based A2 diesel owners though at the moment.

This sounds like useful real world experience Mike - what was so bad about the Hybrid? I had a Civic hybrid which I disliked - you had to brake in a 'harsh' way or the battery just become discharged.

Simon.
Well, with the e-tron, the A3 sportback version we had, you get the worst of both worlds:

the electric motor is rated at 75PS and has a measly 8kwh battery, giving a range of only around 19 miles in the real world, because it has to lug around a petrol engine. The engine meanwhile has an output of 150PS, which would be fine if it didn't have to carry the 500-ish kg of motor and battery.

So, although it's a fairly fast car (3rd fastest of the A3 lineup after the RS and S models), it's a heavy lump and isn't as nimble as it should be. The electric range is woeful and although nice and quiet in electric mode, it's hampered by the electric drive going through the conventional gearbox, so the power delivery is stepped and not a seamless rush as it is in a full electric.

Add to this that it's expensive to buy, has terrible residuals (around 40% after 3 years) and has now been killed off by Audi, so is getting worse to own, is expensive to service (as the electric stuff gets in the way of the normal service items) and you begin to see why it's so bad.

The Jaguar F-Pace we now own is half as big again, but yet weighs less than the e-tron. It's economy isn't far off either.

I’m rather hoping to convert my lovely Audi to a serial Hybrid and get the ‘not-too-bad’ of both worlds but avoid the worst limitations.

I’d love to say it was the best of both worlds but any ‘inbetweener’ won’t achieve that.

It’s a long term project so I’ll just avoid Glasgow and other cities until then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diesel diesel we love diesel.............................................diesel for ever!!

Think the diesel industry is on the cusp of being saved by these tech wizards at Loughborough University.

This technology be retro fitted to our tdi s in future !?!

LONG LIVE DIESEL

When I was looking for my TDI, I had the same question: Is it any good to buy a diesel when so many cities are (trying) to get them banned.
Till now I don't encounter that much trouble (that's because my ATL is from 2005, restrictions are building year over here instead of using EURO norm) but...... most of the times I'm faster in the city by parking my car just outside the city perimeter and take public transport, also much cheaper if you take in account the parking costs nowadays. Thinking of buying a folding bike, fits easy in an A2, and gets you anywhere in a city.
If you have your home adress in a city, then it's a different matter.......

Diesel diesel we love diesel.............................................diesel for ever!!

Think the diesel industry is on the cusp of being saved by these tech wizards at Loughborough University.

This technology be retro fitted to our tdi s in future !?!

LONG LIVE DIESEL
Imterestimg article but looks like its a Super AddBlue solution. Therefore you still need all the SCR paraphernalia. Not sure where it could be fitted under an A2 but control systems are complex and AddBlue can also bring issues in cold weather due to freezing.

When new lower CO2 levels are introduced it will be interesting to see how the petrol engine designers tackle emissions.

Surely LPG or CNG conversions offer greater emission benefits and is also retrofittable?
Anyone done a 1.6FSI conversion?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Don't hold your breath, diesel deserves to die. My wife's SQ5 hemorrhages AddBlue like an HGV, so due back at Audi (again) for another investigation. The future has to be FCV using hydrogen fuel cells, complete with 400+ mile ranges, minus heavy batteries. If it was good enough for NASA, it could make a perfect light weight retro fit for our aluminum super minis. However, I suspect we'll be waiting quite some time....

No no don’t kill off diesel I love it ? ..I agree with hydrogen ..that’s the way to go h20 ...not keen on the battery route at all and if your only doing short trips with constant short charging that’s one of the quickest ways to kill the batteries Yes ?..how much for a new set sir err that’s a re mortgage ?..

No no don’t kill off diesel I love it ? ..I agree with hydrogen ..that’s the way to go h20 ...not keen on the battery route at all and if your only doing short trips with constant short charging that’s one of the quickest ways to kill the batteries Yes ?..how much for a new set sir err that’s a re mortgage ?..
I'm not looking forward to the end of diesel either. I only do around 10k pa though I dislike petrol torque delivery, particularly as both our A2s have depronman remaps(anything over 4000 revs feels wrong unless it's got 2 wheels). :)

Hydrogen is a dead end. 90% of hydrogen is made from natural gas, so not particularly green, at least at the moment. But the biggest drawback is the energy required to compress the hydrogen; it is 3x the eventual energy content of the tank and it's not recovered. So very poor energy efficiency.

RAB

Back