Spacer to allow the Bosch tandem pump to be fitted to the RHD BHC / ATL engines

depronman

A2OC Donor
I have been offering a machining service for several years now to machine a 'spare' spacer to allow the ASV to be located around 30mm to 40 mm near to the passenger side. This is to allow the deeper Bosch tandem pump to clear the ASV casing.
These alloy spacers have all but dried up and are now incredibly difficult to find.
Without the extra machined spacer only the LUK tandem pump can be fitted to the BHC / ATL engines (right hand drive cars only), the Bosch pump is widely regarded as the better pump. Coupled with this the LUK pump appears to be no longer available, this situation make or may not change over time, but at the moment the LUK pump is not available.
This leaves the BHC / ATL engine in a bad position as a failed tandem pump is relatively common and there is currently no direct fit new tandem pump available.

I have been working on a solution to this problem which is both cost effective and available in volumes going forward. The solution I have come up with is a combination of a 3D printed spacer in ABS plastic AND a steel tube, combined with longer mounting bolts.
This should be a reliable solution in that the plastic is effectively only holding in place the steel tube which ends up sandwiched between the original alloy spacer and the ASV.
I am proving a complete 'turn key' solution which includes the spacer, O ring and three longer bolts. The cost being £40 plus postage (around £5 to anywhere in the UK)

Attachments

• IMG-5187.jpg
    IMG-5187.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 112
  • IMG-5188.jpg
    IMG-5188.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 103
  • IMG-5189.jpg
    IMG-5189.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG-5191.jpg
    IMG-5191.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Nice. What are the part numbers for the pumps in question?

I’ll keep an eye out for old stock replacements just in case.

Hi Paul,

I have one of your old spacers on my ATL and it has been fine. A few things I would ask/ point out.

The old spacer does stretch the intake pipe a little and puts a bit more strain on the clip joint to the ASV. With this in mind the smallest possible depth of spacer, so there is only minimal clearance to the bosch pump, would be beneficial. I'm sure you have dimensioned your new solution accordingly?

I presume the plastic used is oil resistant since as we all know this area does get oily and the plastic can come into contact with oilyness inside the oring?

Whilst I appreciate it is under compression, that plastic must be quite hard stuff given it's going to get quite hot (melting point?) and the ASV cantilevers off it.

All that said and assuming your answers to the above are positive, this looks like a well thought out and executed solution. Since I have more than one ATL and your last spacer was successful I think I ought to have another one.

Please PM me payment details.

Trevor

Hi Paul,

I have one of your old spacers on my ATL and it has been fine. A few things I would ask/ point out.

The old spacer does stretch the intake pipe a little and puts a bit more strain on the clip joint to the ASV. With this in mind the smallest possible depth of spacer, so there is only minimal clearance to the bosch pump, would be beneficial. I'm sure you have dimensioned your new solution accordingly? Yes I have. It is thinner than the machined metal spacer that I provided to you some time ago

I presume the plastic used is oil resistant since as we all know this area does get oily and the plastic can come into contact with oilyness inside the oring? Yes it is ABS which is very oil resistant

Whilst I appreciate it is under compression, that plastic must be quite hard stuff given it's going to get quite hot (melting point?) and the ASV cantilevers off it. That is why there is a steel tube inside the ABS space housing the metal tube is clamped end on against the metal spacer and the ASV

All that said and assuming your answers to the above are positive, this looks like a well thought out and executed solution. Since I have more than one ATL and your last spacer was successful I think I ought to have another one.

Please PM me payment details. PM incoming

Trevor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been offering a machining service for several years now to machine a 'spare' spacer to allow the ASV to be located around 30mm to 40 mm near to the passenger side. This is to allow the deeper Bosch tandem pump to clear the ASV casing.
These alloy spacers have all but dried up and are now increadibly difficult to find.
Without the extra machined spacer only the LUK tandem pump can be fitted to the BHC / ATL engines (right hand drive cars only), the Bosch pump is widely regarded as the better pump. Coupled with this the LUK pump appears to be no longer available, this situation make or may not change over time, but at the moment the LUK pump is not available.
This leaves the BHC / ATL engine in a bad position as a failed tandem pump is relatively common and there is currently no direct fit new tandem pump available.

I have been working on a solution to this problem which is both cost effective and available in volumes going forward. The solution I have come up with is a combination of a 3D printed spacer in ABS plastic AND a steel tube, combined with longer mounting bolts.
This should be a reliable solution in that the plastic is effectively only holding in place the steel tube which ends up sandwiched between the original alloy spacer and the ASV.
I am proving a complete 'turn key' solution which includes the spacer, O ring and three longer bolts. The cost being £40 plus postage (around £5 to anywhere in the UK)
Our saviour 🙌 excellent work thanks Paul. I had the original spacer but sold it on to a member who needed one desperately recently. So relieved to see this solution as you say pump is now obsolete!! I was feeling foolish but now relaxed

I will get a few made over the next week or so, they will then be a stock item available as and when they are needed.
Two sold so far, I've asked both for photos of the plastic spacer in situ and will add these to this thread once I have them.
Cheers
Paul

I’ll buy one for stock for when mine needs doing Paul.

What’s the part number of the pump?

I’ll buy one for stock for when mine needs doing Paul.

What’s the part number of the pump?

I’ll get some made over the next few days and let you know when they are ready
I’m not sure on part numbers for the pump, there is another thread with part numbers but I don’t want to copy paste them here as I have not verified they are correct
If anyone knows the correct part numbers please add them to this thread so all the information is available in one place
Cheers
Paul

I’ll get some made over the next few days and let you know when they are ready
I’m not sure on part numbers for the pump, there is another thread with part numbers but I don’t want to copy paste them here as I have not verified they are correct
If anyone knows the correct part numbers please add them to this thread so all the information is available in one place
Cheers
Paul

Here are the OE part numbers - I take it the unavailable one is the ATL / ANY one, the adapter we're discussing is to fit the other?

1665591812854.png

Here are the OE part numbers - I take it the unavailable one is the ATL / ANY one, the adapter we're discussing is to fit the other?

View attachment 100107

This is where the data is wrong because only the AMF engine in right hand drive cars can use either the Bosch or LUK tandem pumps
For the BHC or ATL engines in right hand drive cars only the LUK tandem pump can be used unless this extra spacer is fitted

Paul

Aha - In that case, thanks for clarifying and ignore my PM just now!

Last edited:
Hi Paul,

The old spacer does stretch the intake pipe a little and puts a bit more strain on the clip joint to the ASV. With this in mind the smallest possible depth of spacer, so there is only minimal clearance to the bosch pump, would be beneficial. I'm sure you have dimensioned your new solution accordingly?

I presume the plastic used is oil resistant since as we all know this area does get oily and the plastic can come into contact with oilyness inside the oring?

Whilst I appreciate it is under compression, that plastic must be quite hard stuff given it's going to get quite hot (melting point?) and the ASV cantilevers off it.

Please PM me payment details.

Trevor
Any answers regarding the above post.
I would be interested to know as well.

Back