Stuttering loss of power 1.4 TDi turbo ?

thor_wulff

Hi Guys - wondered if anybody can help me with some ideas...

My 53 1.4TDi has started "stuttering" the problem is slowly getting worse.
It use to be noticeable from about 2500rpm (when the turbo kicks inn?) also under heavy load.
It has now become worse - especially in the colder weather it is quite bad, as it warms up it can become alot better.. but still will not disapear.

What could this be? - I am not the big expert on disel cars...:eek:

My first guess is that the air mass sensor (MAF) is on its way out. The sensor is important in measuring the volume of air entering the combustion chambers andso the car knows how to fuel properly, although fuelling isn't as critical on diesels as it is on petrol cars.

However, you can check this very easily by running the car with the MAF disconnected - just unclip the 2 pin plug going to the connector on the air intake tube on the drivers' side of the engine bay. The car will run in a default fuelling mode and the stuttering should ease off and possibly stop, if it is this that is at fault.

Other than that, there are a number of other things that could be at fault, fuel pumps, clogged fuel filters, and so on.

Go for the easiest and cheapst option first.

Cheers

Mike

Thanks skipton01 i will try that asap... you dont think it could be turbo related? - can the turbo get dirty/worn?

If it is your MAF I have a spare one if you need to buy one - would just need to check it's the right engine code

Ok - i have now been dooing a couple of test drives and is better when i disconnect the MAF - however the "stuttering" does not disapear completly - but there much more power! - I sprayed some carburator cleaner on the MAF - but it did not seem to help anything. Can we now conclude that there is a good chance that it is the MAF?

It is a fair assessment that the MAF is at east a contributing factor in the stuttering. Try manual cleaning first on the hot wire, not just spraying carb cleaner on it - as long as you're careful, decent results can be had.

Cheers,

Mike

Ok - over the weekend i took the maf out of its housing - it looked very clean already - but i cleaned it with carburator cleaner and cotton buds...re-instaled it and the car has been drivng alot better - but still "stuttering" a bit especially when its cold.

Could it be that i still need a new MAF?

Could it be the glow plugs? (i thought they were rarly used and if just for a few seconds during startup)

Could it be air or fuel filter? needs changeing?

if the symptoms are worse when its cold... what could that tell us? its only when i put pedal to the metal that the stuttering occur - if i drive sensible it barely noticealbe.

If the stuttering only occurs at full throttle, I'd suggest you take a look at the fuel filter now, as this is probably the limiting factor. Whilst you're at it, change the air filter too, as they do get clogged easily.

When was the last service, at which both these items should have been changed?

You are right to dismiss the glow plugs - they don't come into play whilst driving.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks - I am pretty sure that non of the filters has been changed for a couple of years...:eek:
looking for a guide to change the air, fuel and oil filter:confused:

I've just posted a How To.... for the fuel filter.

The oil filter is a doddle - undertray off, drain old oil using sump plug, fit new sump plug/washer and change filter (unscrew housing, using 36mm socket, remove old one, insert new one) and refill with oil.

While the undertray is off, you can also do the air filter, which lives under the off side headlight:

3 screws to remove the housing cover, old filter out, new one in and then replace the cover!

Get these done and see if there's an improvement - there should be!

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks for the "How to" - perfect timing

I'm going to change the fuel filter first - check for improvement.
then
Clean the MAF - check for improvement.

Doesn't look like FASH means they ever bother to change it. Despite proposing to change it (for extra cost) at the last service, they didn't bother. When I queried, Cardiff Audi said that they hadn't charged me, and hadn't done the fuel filter change because it wasn't required because they "must have done at the last service".

Funny, I checked my previous receipt and service book and ....

... roll of drums ...

... they hadn't.

£100 per hour plus VAT. I ask you.

A

a "36 mm socket" - unless you happen to have one, this will cost a lot. Mine was well over £30 from Brown Brothers, the only source I could locate. Upside is, I can now do oil filter changes forever - no probs.

Happy to do foc for anyone in N. Lincs area who does not have the 36 mm gizmo.

a "36 mm socket" - unless you happen to have one, this will cost a lot. Mine was well over £30 from Brown Brothers, the only source I could locate. Upside is, I can now do oil filter changes forever - no probs.

Happy to do foc for anyone in N. Lincs area who does not have the 36 mm gizmo.

There are always loads of 36mm sockets on e.bay. One with a 6 sided hex recess is probably best for the plastic oil filter cap although a bi hex version will also do the front driveshaft nuts as well.
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/_W0QQ_nkwZ36mmQ20socketQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZQQ_mdoZ

Cheers Spike

"There are always loads of 36mm sockets on e.bay."

That's a lesson I'll learn well!

run into a little problem - not sure which fuel filter i need for my 1.4 Tdi 53 reg? (march 2003) I am assuming it is the later fuel filter as i can see there is two types? my engine numer starts with AMF 239... but that egine code is listed for both fuel filters on http://vagparts.co.uk/ ??? is there a way to make sure without looking at the actual filter?
:confused:

Back