Tdi 75 oil leak at the back of the engine

Ami

A2OC Donor
United-Kingdom
Today, I had the car up on axle stands, changing Gearbox Oil ( Easy Job thanks to people on here ) & engine oil/filter, noticed an oil leak from the back of the engine, cleaned as much as I could, however, the pipe coming down from the turbo was covered in oil, but the turbo was dry.
The pipe at the turbo end didnt have the usual spring clip on it but the screw style dublie clip, I wonder if any one has had a similar experiance & whether I need to change the upper pipe & spring clip ?
Thank you,
Ami

Are you sure the oil is not coming from further up the back of the engine? The EGR valve and rocker cover gaskets are the usual suspects. No I do not like the idea of the pressure oil pipe being modified from how Audi designed it so would be looking into replacing it. There may have been a reason a previous "careful" owner changed to this but more likely just a bodge.

Reactions: Ami
You are correct, been finding all sorts of bodge jobs by the previous owner or the garage he used, I think like you say will replace the pipe & spring clip back to Audi original parts & while there will look closer to see if Its the EGR vlave or Rocker cover
Thanks for your help

Possible oil feed to turbo
Strange you say that, I was looking behind the EGR valve as per @audifan advice, noticed a pipe covered in fresh oil, as I have just changed the oil but was too tired to check further, as I had done the disc & pads plus calipers as well as the Exhaust rattle, I will take a picture on Monday & upload.
Thanks for your reply & happy easter
Ami

just managed to get a picture of the possible cause of oil leak, the black pipe just behind EGR valve ( Red Arrow ) is covered in oil ?

IMG_4095.JPG

Isn't that the corrogated pipe that runs from the EGR to the exhaust manifold? I'm still trying to work out the orientation, but wondering if you have a leak around the back edge of the rocker cover corner that is running down the rear of the engine block onto that pipework? I think my project car probably had something similar based on what the garage described when they resolved the issue last November. Difficult to look at because of the cabin air intake trumpet that gets in the way, but running some kitchen roll around that corner by hand on the rocker cover under the air intake may establish if there is seepage from that area.

I took the picture from the side just by the water bottle. it is a corrogated plastic pipe as you say, but dont know where it come from or goes to, until I remove a few things around it.
I found an invoice in the car showing Rocker cover gasket replaced due to leak but judjing by the work this garage had done on this car over the years, it cant be relied on, will do your kichen foil trick ( dont tell the wife ) see if I can isolate it, but I need to do a through cleaning in that area first. lucky I have this week of work.
its an AMF engine, so hopefully may be able to figure out how to bypass the EGR ( bought the washers etc for my Fsi by mistake last year, turns out they are for Tdi :) )
Thanks for your advice
Have a lovely evening

I took the picture from the side just by the water bottle. it is a corrogated plastic pipe as you say, but dont know where it come from or goes to, until I remove a few things around it.
I found an invoice in the car showing Rocker cover gasket replaced due to leak but judjing by the work this garage had done on this car over the years, it cant be relied on, will do your kichen foil trick ( dont tell the wife ) see if I can isolate it, but I need to do a through cleaning in that area first. lucky I have this week of work.
its an AMF engine, so hopefully may be able to figure out how to bypass the EGR ( bought the washers etc for my Fsi by mistake last year, turns out they are for Tdi :) )
Thanks for your advice
Have a lovely evening
I believe it was kitchen roll not kitchen foil you were advised to use so maybe your wife won't mind after all ??

• Love
I believe it was kitchen roll not kitchen foil you were advised to use so maybe your wife won't mind after all ??
well spotted.
Thats what happens when you have a beer in one hand & type with the other ;)

Reactions: A2Z
I had the corrugated pipe off the car last year replacing AMF manifold & turbo (which was also knackered and leaking gently through the bearing housing at 286,000+ miles) ; that eliminated one source of oil down the back of the engine - subsequently all cleaned out with EGR and refitted for the rebuild, and then we established that more was coming from the right rear corner (looking from front of car - next to the fuel / vacuum tandem pump) of the rocker cover ; re-setting that with a new gasket and correct rebolting order & torques seems to have resolved the leak (at least, it is not visibly dripping through the undertray every 10 seconds like it was last year).

The oil leak on mine is far too much to leave with to a point, I decided the under tray was beyond cleaning & binned it.
It looks like, I have my work cut out, have found & resolved so many issues on this car, but this oil leak looks like a challenge.
I am making a note of all the points made, hopefully will get to the bottom of it soon.
Thanks again

Looks more like the EGR is dumping out the vent hole, then running down the back of the EGR and onto the air inlet pipe and exhaust gas inlet pipe.

But you can get the rocker cover gasket leaking directly behind the EGR and does look very similar.

I will remove what I can in this area & hopefully as you say its the EGR vent hole & not the rocker cover gasket, will take pictures & upload.
Thank you

If I recall some one mentioned removing/by passing EGR will not throw an engine light on AMF engine, hopefully.

That is correct you only need to block off the small vacuum hose on the top of the EGR with a bolt to disable it on an AMF

I will have a go at doing this, I am sure I have a 10 mm bolt etc that would fit this pipe, :)

EGR will still be in the system just isolated from the vacuum that operates the valve leaving the valve closed all the time. I have wedged a pencil in the pipe before now. Bolt looks better, just like the pencil as used to get people ask why there was a pencil wedged in the pipe? My answer was it is a lead supplement to lubricate the valves...........

Back