TDI intermittent starting

James23

What are the potential causes of a TDI not even trying to start - no cranking at all. All lights including glow plug come on and go out and then turn the key and nothing.

After a few goes sometimes it will fire up.

Sometimes fires up first go no problem

I've replaced the ignition switch but no change
Then replaced the barrel. Still no change.

Is there a signal wire to the starter that could cause these problems

Starting to get fed up now it really is one thing after another

Car is an 03 1.4 TDI 75 AMF

Thanks

Hi James23, Try adding another earth from the engine to the chassis. As the earthing point behind the N/S/Headlight is a known weak point. If that works then check and clean the earth wire, also some have fitted a secondary earthing point.
John

How old is the battery? Have you checked the battery connections? Have you got 2 keys, and have you tried the other key?
Steve

How old is the battery? Have you checked the battery connections? Have you got 2 keys, and have you tried the other key?
Steve
Battery has been tested as very good by Halfords. This isn't a battery issue as when it fires up it fires up fine. The issue is that sometimes it doesn't even crank.
I have two keys yes. Do you think it would make a difference? The immobiliser icon doesn't flash like it does when it's not recognising the key.

Hi James23, Try adding another earth from the engine to the chassis. As the earthing point behind the N/S/Headlight is a known weak point. If that works then check and clean the earth wire, also some have fitted a secondary earthing point.
John
Will give it a go cheers

Have you checked all connections and plugs in passenger footwell? Floor?
Also have you had or done any work to car?

Yes nice and dry in there.
Going to try swapping the CCCU to see if it solves a different issue so will give all connections another check then.

More than likely bad earth. Using a jump lead find a good spot on the engine block for one end and secure the other end to a good chassis earth such as the body side of an engine mount. Secure the cable with plastic cable ties and make sure the cable will not interfere or get trapped by anything. If the car start fine now it is a bad earth. Starter motor could also be getting to the point of repair or replacement. Have you checked ALL the battery connection for tightness INCLUDING all the connections in the black plastic block to the left of the positive battery terminal?

Yes nice and dry in there.
Going to try swapping the CCCU to see if it solves a different issue so will give all connections another check then.
Have you checked condition of fuses, and tightness of electrical connections? This sounds like a loose/ dirty, electrical connection somewhere either in car or on starter motor/connections.

More than likely bad earth. Using a jump lead find a good spot on the engine block for one end and secure the other end to a good chassis earth such as the body side of an engine mount. Secure the cable with plastic cable ties and make sure the cable will not interfere or get trapped by anything. If the car start fine now it is a bad earth. Starter motor could also be getting to the point of repair or replacement. Have you checked ALL the battery connection for tightness INCLUDING all the connections in the black plastic block to the left of the positive battery terminal?
Will give another earth a go.
Battery terminal connections are fine but not checked the black plastic block. Will have a look thanks.

Have you checked condition of fuses, and tightness of electrical connections? This sounds like a loose/ dirty, electrical connection somewhere either in car or on starter motor/connections.
I've checked ignition switch connection as I have replaced it. Will have a go over everything I can find but is weird because nothing moves changes, sometimes it doesn't work and taking the key out and trying again will make it work again.

Another vote for earth lead!

I fitted one from engine mount to drivebelt tensioner following a non start situation!

By way of update I cleaned up the earth (I'd done it a few years ago after the original one corroded and snapped on removal) and installed an additional one but the behaviour continues.
I'm now at a loss.
May try another ignition switch in the hope that this new one is faulty somehow
Any other ideas?

Clean up all the connections on the starter motor, then double check all the connections on the battery especially the auxiliary positives box to the left of the battery positive.

Clean up all the connections on the starter motor, then double check all the connections on the battery especially the auxiliary positives box to the left of the battery positive.
Thanks will check the starter connections.
I had a look at the battery ones and checked they were all tight when I did the earth. All good.

Do you hear the click of the solenoid when tunring the key? If yes and all the lights go off/dim then I would assume a earth/starter motor problem. If no click and no change to the dashboard lights etc then I would suspect a solenoid problem.

Back