Temperature Gauge woes - already done thermostat and temp. sensor

Swalsey

Hi all,

I've had issues with the car getting up to temperature, and read every thread I could find on the subject. I changed the temp sender, which did nothing, so I changed the thermostate (which was bloody difficult as it was very hard to reach!) and now the car runs up to temperature only most of the time, and sometimes (1 in 10 trips) it doesn't hold temperature - it drops lower and sometimes off the bottom when cruising at these times.

It does seem to be happening less often, and the only thing worth a mention is that I have not yet put the correct mix of coolant and water into the cooling system - purely because I don't want to waste another bottle refreshing it if I have to open the system up again!

Any ideas please? I really want it consistent before winter hits...

Car is now on 88,000 and has been properly serviced...

Thanks,

I had a similar problem at the start of the year. Car would only just get to the middle position (just below) but if I accelerated or put the heater on the needle would plumit southwards.

In the end it was a faulty reading, and the temperature gauge was replaced. Not sure of exact parts replaced I am afraid as the garage did it for free, so was not put on the service invoice.

Thanks for the replies. I have ran VAG-COM, nothing comes up... I'M Tempted to replace the temp sender again just to be sure, as there was an improvement after the thermostat but not after replacing the sender. I hate these problems that need money throwing at them in a trial and error style!

I'll enquire at Audi RE the gauge too, thanks.

Antony

Back