The Noise Returns.....

Fiona

United-Kingdom
Somebody help me!

A while back I wrote about a loud rattling noise coming from inside, sounding like something loose flapping around, that comes and goes. Described as the "bag of nails" noise.

Well, last week it came back along with a really gruff noise from the engine, sounded terrible. This time it lasted all night and into the next day when I took to Guildford Audi. They were great, took it in straight away after the mechanic got it in, heard the gruff noise and sounded quite alarmed!

He said he plugged it in, let several others look then it just stopped! None of them had a clue what it maight be and no faults were found. They had the car for about an hour, so I know they did have a good look.

So I turn to my trusted and hugely knowledable forum friends! Any ideas? Can't pinpoint the noise but it could be drivers side about steering wheel level, rattling pretty much contant when moving, gruffness worse when engine working, pulling away, etc. Car runs fine, no noticable loss of power. Starts when engine is hot. Really loud in cabin, not so loud from outside. Then rattle and noise will just stop and that is it for up to a month!

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Fi

2002 TDi Sport

If it is intermittent then probably electrical based.

Is it just a noise or is the engine down on power/vibrating more when the fault is there (e.g. running on 2 cylinders instead of three)?

1.4 Petrol Special Edition, Ebony Black, grey leather, heated seats, climate, opensky, five spoke alloys for SWMBO (Replaced a 2002 1.4 Petrol SE) Honda Accord Tourer 2.2 iCDTi for me.

Hi Ian,

It just doesn't sound electrical! The rattle is a real "loose bit of metal flapping around" noise and the gruff engine noise is almost like a hose off somewhere of no exhaust noise, but there is no loss of power and no vibration from anywhere. It's just wierd! The gruff noise is dreadful when pulling away, gets to about 1 1/2rpm and it lessens.

Fi

2002 TDi Sport

Not that I can be of much help at this stage Fiona but my 1.4 petrol has an unusual rattling noise, like something loose coming from what sounds like behind the instrument binnacle or in front of the bulkhead. It's definitely intermittent and is worse at low speeds and over bumpy roads but I've not had a chance to get it to the dealer for a poke about yet so can't say what it is. Thought it might help you to know you may not be alone with the problem. Will let you know what the dealer says when I get a chance to go in.

a2 1.4 sport . dolphin grey . audi body kit . s line tail badge . rear bench seat

Trouble with some engine noises is that you hear it on start up, when everything is cold. You drive it to the dealer, but by then the engine is heating things up, and before you know it, it stops!

Maybe an overnight stay at the dealer, then they can test it from cold?

Steve - A couple of A2's, then a Corolla, now an Avensis T3-X 2.0 Auto

Thanks all.
ULP, good thinking. Do technicians have tools? Thought if it didn't appear on the lap top screen, then a new car is the only solution!
Runboy, the noise usually appears when the engine is hot and the rattling at any time, but it may not appear from one month to the next and it will just stop for no reason, ie not after stopping for a while. They did suggest keeping it but for how long would be anyone guess.
Dubbsy, glad to know I'm not the only one with a wierd car!
Hey ho the saga continues!

Fi

2002 TDi Sport

Fiona

I presume that someone has done the obvious and taken the bonnet off and checked nothing is loose, may also need the undertray removing to check the same on suspension.

As it is intermittent my feeling would be for something electrical since mechanical faults are either there or not - but with these cars everything has an electrical element.

1.4 Petrol Special Edition, Ebony Black, grey leather, heated seats, climate, opensky, five spoke alloys for SWMBO (Replaced a 2002 1.4 Petrol SE) Honda Accord Tourer 2.2 iCDTi for me.

dubbsy said:
Not that I can be of much help at this stage Fiona but my 1.4 petrol has an unusual rattling noise, like something loose coming from what sounds like behind the instrument binnacle or in front of the bulkhead. It's definitely intermittent and is worse at low speeds and over bumpy roads but I've not had a chance to get it to the dealer for a poke about yet so can't say what it is. Thought it might help you to know you may not be alone with the problem. Will let you know what the dealer says when I get a chance to go in.

a2 1.4 sport . dolphin grey . audi body kit . s line tail badge . rear bench seat
mine does that too, only got it a couple of days ago so kinda scared that i bought a dud:(

Hi A2_Sat, mine has been quiet since the post in October, but it does come and go. The rattling is annoying, my main concern this time was the awful engine noise. I'm sure you have bought a dud, maybe it is just one of those quirky things!!

yeah got the same thing with mine, was at the audi dealer last week (Lea Valley Audi) and they told me that it was my anti roll bar and bushes.
Got this changed under warranty but still had noise.
went back and got told that it "might" be my cat converter (which isnt broken),so wasn't gonna pay £500 to find that i still have the noise.
so i left it a week and then went back had a road test came back with the result that it wasn't the cat converter but they needed to have it a day to check over the whole car, so im gonna leave it with them on monday.

I get really annoyed with small rattles so this is one i cant stand.
Will keep u guys posted.........................

kauto star said:
I get really annoyed with small rattles so this is one i cant stand.
Will keep u guys posted.........................

Mine was far from a small rattle too, sounded like the the body was going to fall off! And the gruff noise from the engine sounded terminal! Then it just stopped, totally, no wearing off just stopped. Audi really scratched their heads, but good on them they did look at just about everytning. My brother is a mechanic and he couldn't explain it either, especially as the car ran completely normal, spooky eh?

Possibly internal spring in the exhaust recirc valve broken allowing the valve to rattle in its seat (the rattle) and the gruffness from the EGR being open. The broken coil can then 'heal' itself by vibrating together and interlinking the helix of the spring.

IF you have an EGR.

Hi, my 1.4 petrol SE does that too, but only at 40 mph in 4th gear when you try to accelerate, its OK any other time. Taking it to the dealer tomorrow I'll let you know how I get on. PS only had the car a week its great apart from that.

A2_SAT said:
just got the car. the gearbox bearings are going. is that normal on a 48k mile car?

No, I dont think so! An obstructive sort of garage might suggest that the gearbox has been abused... but that might be unfair!

I won't be paying anything to get the gearbox overhauled with new bearings so should i go for it?

go for it as it may cause you problems in the future. if its covered under warranty then why not get your monies worth

coo, i'll give it a week or two before i go for it. the abs light and the asr light came on today when i was driving to work. there was a big red exclamation mark in a circle light on the display too. went away when i turned the car off and didn't come back when i turned it on again.

Back