Timing Belt Change

Bushranger

My 2001 A2 has reached 157k and as far as I know it has not had the timing belt changed yet! From what I can gather this should have been done around the 60k Mark? As I only paid £950 for the car two years ago I have been putting off getting it done. What are the prices other owners are paying to get this done? Is the belt and water pump enough or should the tensioners be changed also? Are the parts readily available, are their any online brands stores the best to buy from?

Ecp do a kit, best to change all the tensioner sand dive belt unit too. Get the part numbers and go to sister company carparts4less and use discount code

Are you planning to do the work yourself, or are you intending to have it done professionally?

As said it needs doing without delay, your risking a much bigger bill or total loss of the car if you continue to drive it.
Prices vary depending on your location, I recently had all parts replaced by a local garage for £350 All in and I only paid £700 for my car. Its not what the cars value is in money but more the value to you personally, most owners in the club will spend many times the value of their car keeping it tip top.

As you have a diesel, at that mileage the oil pump chain, sprockets and tensioner should be done while you’re there - the cambelt has to come off to do these and failures have been reported at lower mileages than yours has covered - which would render the engine scrap!

Best to do it all now and invest in peace of mind knowing the car will happily double the current mileage of you look after it from here.

As you have a diesel, at that mileage the oil pump chain, sprockets and tensioner should be done while you’re there - the cambelt has to come off to do these and failures have been reported at lower mileages than yours has covered - which would render the engine scrap!

Best to do it all now and invest in peace of mind knowing the car will happily double the current mileage of you look after it from here.
On my recent A2 purchase the Cambelt and waterpump was done 2 years ago now on 161k no sign of rattle infact one of the quietest tdis I have had ...engine has no doubt been mapped at sometime In its past ..as it pulls like a train ..but next time belt due I will add pump chain and sprocket on ...

On my recent A2 purchase the Cambelt and waterpump was done 2 years ago now on 161k no sign of rattle infact one of the quietest tdis I have had ...engine has no doubt been mapped at sometime In its past ..as it pulls like a train ..but next time belt due I will add pump chain and sprocket on ...
Mines being done next week @ WOM along with the Cambelt as will shortly be jointing then 200,000 club

OR you could take the view that when it goes in for the timing belt to be done, you could ask your home-mechanic to have a listen about and go from there. If it's a keep-forever car, the extra £450 or so might be well worth the investment. Me? I've done the belt as that really is dicing with death and they do fail. I'm not doing the chain though: my car just isn't worth it as a speculative bit of maintenance. If the chain should happen to fail, by all accounts although it's a right regal pain to rectify, it's not 'that' much worse than doing the job in the first place.

More to the point, the number of actual failures is tiny. Would be an interesting poll actually.

Anyway, as I've said before on here, there is a grave danger of writing a car off just via an expensive wish list. If it was a gorgeous £4000 example, it's a no-brainer: get it done. If it's a £1000 cheap daily, and you're contemplating an additional 45% of its value on something that will probably not fail (and even if it does, isn't like a cambelt failure), well that a whole different kettle of goats. Much depends on how much you like it, value it and how long you're intending on keeping it.

Anyway, I've had three TDi 75's: 175K miles, 155K miles and 205k miles. None have had chains, none have made any chain noises and so far at least, no failures. If they did, I'd cross that bridge then. I just listen now and then and take a close look at the oil when it gets changed. I have, however, done full cambelt kits (with water pumps), new serp belts and inevitably, thermostats.

Just an alternative view ?
I have to agree mines sitting at 257,000 currently & running the original chain & sprockets.
But have fitted the following:
Cambelt ,waterpump, tensioner’s
auxiliary belt & lastly the freewheeling pulley on the alternator.
Cheers
Keith.

I have to agree mines sitting at 257,000 currently & running the original chain & sprockets.
But have fitted the following:
Cambelt ,waterpump, tensioner’s
auxiliary belt & lastly the freewheeling pulley on the alternator.
Cheers
Keith.
Ah, you've caught me out! After posting I thought actually I'd delete the post in case people thought I'm an arch bodger.

Here it is (now reinforcements have arrived!):

OR you could take the view that when it goes in for the timing belt to be done, you could ask your home-mechanic to have a listen about and go from there. If it's a keep-forever car, the extra £450 or so might be well worth the investment. Me? I've done the belt as that really is dicing with death and they do fail. I'm not doing the chain though: my car just isn't worth it as a speculative bit of maintenance. If the chain should happen to fail, by all accounts although it's a right regal pain to rectify, it's not 'that' much worse than doing the job in the first place.

More to the point, the number of actual failures is tiny. Would be an interesting poll actually.

Anyway, as I've said before on here, there is a grave danger of writing a car off just via an expensive wish list. If it was a gorgeous £4000 example, it's a no-brainer: get it done. If it's a £1000 cheap daily, and you're contemplating an additional 45% of its value on something that will probably not fail (and even if it does, isn't like a cambelt failure), well that a whole different kettle of goats. Much depends on how much you like it, value it and how long you're intending on keeping it.

Anyway, I've had three TDi 75's: 175K miles, 155K miles and 205k miles. None have had chains, none have made any chain noises and so far at least, no failures. If they did, I'd cross that bridge then. I just listen now and then and take a close look at the oil when it gets changed. I have, however, done full cambelt kits (with water pumps), new serp belts and inevitably, thermostats, on all three.

Just an alternative view ?

Last edited:
My view is that a cheap car is only cheap if you give it some preventative maintenance to stop it becoming an expensive car - also peace of mind is worth something.

Of course, the chain could be left and it will probably be fine, however if the OP is doing a cambelt kit already it would seem the opportune time to do it all at once rather than taking a risk that it will still be fine in 5 years.

I had a garage replace the cambelt,tensioner and water pump on mine (just shy of £400 using genuine parts) when I bought it a few months ago as no history of it being done and it was on 146k miles . Didn't do the chain or sprockets due to a) the cost of doing this as well as the cambelt change would have been about 80% of the value of the car and b) as has been mentioned I believe the actual failures are relatively low. My brother had the same engine in a seat Ibiza and he doesn't look after his cars at all and it's still going fine with well over 200k miles .

I need to do mine as I don't have all the history with my car so I best assume it hasn't been done and I'll do it myself.

Looking on ECP, there are 3 kits (plus a 2nd Dayco without tensioner) after I enter my Reg (52 plate AMF car)
Dayco
INA
SKF
Hmm looks like this one is no longer available.

Should I go for the Dayco or the INA for my 1.4 AMF diesel?

I originally ordered a Gates kit online which turned out to be wrong once we had the car in bits . For not much more I ended up ordering a genuine one from tps which fitted no bother

I need to do mine as I don't have all the history with my car so I best assume it hasn't been done and I'll do it myself.

Looking on ECP, there are 3 kits (plus a 2nd Dayco without tensioner) after I enter my Reg (52 plate AMF car)
Dayco
INA
SKF
Hmm looks like this one is no longer available.

Should I go for the Dayco or the INA for my 1.4 AMF diesel?
If all things are equal yours should be the later (simpler )tensioner, then it's just working out the waterpump this goes on engine number

SKA didn't appear to be available from ECP but will see what I can find.

I presume there are no issues with later water pumps being of worse quality than the original like there on some brands where the part supply has moved to China (thinking of Rover here)?

For some reason they keep this a secret as it dosnt show as an option for my 2005 Galaxy either yet it's been on mine for 5 years!

Seems the AMF early engines have choice of belt kits but same waterpump then later ones have the later belt kit with a different waterpump.

Back