Underbonnet too noisy (diesel). Engine and gearbox mounts?

Have recently bought a 1.4 tdi 75 BHP which at 176000 miles has a few noises. The rumble from the engine bay is louder than expected (my other car is an old Landy with a diesel engine). There may be a few causes as a bit of a rattle does often go away on pressing the clutch when in neutral. But overall the other underbonnet noises are a bit too loud. The top end sounds a bit rattly too.

One thought is engine and gearbox mounts. I don't yet have a workshop manual (downloaded the data from an eBay seller but blue screen of death when I try to open the VMWare application to view the data) so, being new to the A2, I don't know what the mounts should look like in good condition, nor where they all are. I found 2 (photos) but suspect there must be another and see people talk of a gearbox dogbone.

Could the wise tell me if these 2 mounts look good or bad please? And are there more to check? Are they hard to replace?
mount (1).jpg
Mount (2).jpg
mount (3).jpg

OK, if I have to. I have already bought and downloaded a full Audi workshop manual via eBay, now need to get the application to run the necessary VMware Player to work, to be able to read it. But wondered how many engine gearbox mounts there are, whether mine look worn, and what the "dogbone" is

there are three mounts. One at the belts end of the engine, one adjacent to the starter motor, and the third - the dogbone - centrally located on the underside of the underframe going forwards to the rear anchoring point on the bottom of the gearbox.

all are depicted on these two parts diagrams (for the small differences in part number between AMF and BHC/ATL)

Assembly 10, parts 16 and 7.

there are three mounts. One at the belts end of the engine, one adjacent to the starter motor, and the third - the dogbone - centrally located on the underside of the underframe going forwards to the rear anchoring point on the bottom of the gearbox.

all are depicted on these two parts diagrams (for the small differences in part number between AMF and BHC/ATL)

Assembly 10, parts 16 and 7.
Thank you, this will help a lot. I much appreciate the link to a parts manual too.

Have recently bought a 1.4 tdi 75 BHP which at 176000 miles has a few noises. The rumble from the engine bay is louder than expected (my other car is an old Landy with a diesel engine).
That was our reaction when we collected our 1.2Tdi from Germany. A Lupo with the same engine is much, much quieter! All to do, I suspect, with the material of construction.

RAB

Have recently bought a 1.4 tdi 75 BHP which at 176000 miles has a few noises. The rumble from the engine bay is louder than expected (my other car is an old Landy with a diesel engine). There may be a few causes as a bit of a rattle does often go away on pressing the clutch when in neutral. But overall the other underbonnet noises are a bit too loud. The top end sounds a bit rattly too.

One thought is engine and gearbox mounts. I don't yet have a workshop manual (downloaded the data from an eBay seller but blue screen of death when I try to open the VMWare application to view the data) so, being new to the A2, I don't know what the mounts should look like in good condition, nor where they all are. I found 2 (photos) but suspect there must be another and see people talk of a gearbox dogbone.

Could the wise tell me if these 2 mounts look good or bad please? And are there more to check? Are they hard to replace?
View attachment 108539View attachment 108540View attachment 108541
Hi ,
Just wandering if you managed to resolve the refinement issue over the last few months ?
My A2 also sounds like a 'bag of spanners' at idle but quietens considerably when the clutch pedal is depressed .
I changed the dog-bone mount but to no avail ; Maybe marginally less vibration but no discernable differnece in sound level.
I'd like to know if there is a surefire way to diagnose if the top engine mounts are worn out...
Any thoughts..

Hello.

To find rumbles, grumbles, knocks, buzzes, clunks and clicks

A mechanics stethoscope

:) 👍

Hi ,
Just wandering if you managed to resolve the refinement issue over the last few months ?
My A2 also sounds like a 'bag of spanners' at idle but quietens considerably when the clutch pedal is depressed .
I changed the dog-bone mount but to no avail ; Maybe marginally less vibration but no discernable differnece in sound level.
I'd like to know if there is a surefire way to diagnose if the top engine mounts are worn out...
Any thoughts..
My logic, (not always logical), says it it goes away when the clutch is depressed, it's clutch related ...
Mac.

My logic, (not always logical), says it it goes away when the clutch is depressed, it's clutch related ...
Mac.
Not always unless it's 90hp with dual mass flywheel. I've got same weird noise issue. I replaced the clutch and the noise is stil there when decelarting from 2000 it kicks in at around 1800. The only way to stop the weird rumbly noise is to press the clutch and let the rpm drop to 1k.

All my engine mounts looks solid so the only thing I could think of is the oil pump chain and tensioner but that car is only on 90k I doubt it would be worn out so quickly. My other 160k tdi starting to have similar noise on rare occasions but it's very short and it goes away very quickly.

View attachment 108539View attachment 108540View attachment 108541
the rubber on the gear box side looks on the way out to me , the polo one can replace it , but it wouldnt make the engine sounds , just makes the engine swing during power on off . a rumble sound would be the chain guides for the oil pump .

A clattering sound at idle without clutch depressed that goes away with the pedal depressed could be something to do with the release bearing? I think I've read that somewhere here - but not an expert so don't take my comment as useful information!

Back