Which engine oil for 1.4 TDI

technoman52

Hi All,

I have just purchased an Audi A2 1.4 TDI so don't know much about it yet.

Needs engine oil change, 153,000 miles on the clock. The engine code is AMF. I think it meets VW 50501 standard.

What engine oil should I use 0w30, or 5w-40.

Thanks.

Hi there,

Either is fine however, I always use castrol edge 5w30 on my 1.4 tdi AMF engine and tend to stock up when on promo at costco for 19quid. However, some may prefer 5w40 for PD engines.

Other respected members will be along to enlighten you in depth.here is a recent discussion on oil.

All the best with your A2

Nice1,

Last edited:
Welcome @technoman52 - the above referenced thread tells you all you need to know about what oil to use. It then becomes personal choice / preference beyond that.

Let us know what you decide.

I had always used Quantum 5w/40 PD oil but upon recommendation from TPS backed by @dj_efk 's thread above have gone to their 507 spec 5w/30 on my latest new arrival (204K TDi 75 BHC, so one engine revision on from yours). Engine seems just as quiet, just as happy and by all accounts will see slightly more protection and economy from this later generation oil.

Now, my Passat 1.9TDi PD has had the 5w/40 PD oil the whole time I've had it (seven years plus): would I change to 507 on that? Not sure, that comes under 'why rock the boat' somewhat.

If it's new to you and quite likely been run on random oils in the past, I'd be most tempted to start afresh with a 507 5w/30. Hypothectically, if you'd had it ten years and always used the same oil in that time, then I'd probably stick with what you know.

Another vote for 507 spec 5w30.

I use Quantum too which is what Audi would use if you took it into them for a service.

It's the best longlife rated oil, even though I personally change it annually and do fairly low mileage.

You don't have to use Quantum though, any 507 spec 5w30 should be absolutely fine ?

Last edited:
Interesting, I’m not aware of a 507 spec 0w/30.
Sure there are more but Motul and Shell offer this spec

Cheers Spike

Seem to recall when I bought the car in 2001, the original oil recommendation for the A2 TDi was 0w-30 Castrol SLX Long Life 2 - so the low viscosity grade is nothing new

Cheers Spike

If I'm honest without looking it up I don't know what the FE stands for but if you feel that suits your needs better then by all means use it and it should be fine.

When I clicked on the link you provided it did say that it's suitable for all cars with a dpf which obviously the A2 doesn't have but I'm sure it will still be OK.

Tbh to me it does sound somewhat of a contradiction of terms as 'Longlife' oil isn't really designed for infrequent low mileage short distance usage so it seems a little pointless spending the best part of £50 for 5 litres of this as ideally you would want to change it annually anyway due to the lack of use but again that's personal choice and up to you.

I'm personally happy with the genuine 5w30 Quantum Longlife 111 507 spec oil that is recommended for my TDI and costs me just over for £20 for 5 litres and will be sticking with it?

@A2Z

FE = Fuel Economy

You’re not tempted to go with the identical Mannol 7715 as per the conclusion of the thread quoted above?

Same stuff, different packaging - as proven in a lab - just over half the price.

Reactions: A2Z
FE=flaming expensive!

Our Skodas use 5w30 and they are driven hard (never buy one), granted they are totally different engines and 2016 models on 10k intervals.

Anything for me 505.01 or higher is perfectly fine the grade isn't that important it's the spec!

• Haha
@A2Z

FE = Fuel Economy

You’re not tempted to go with the identical Mannol 7715 as per the conclusion of the thread quoted above?

Same stuff, different packaging - as proven in a lab - just over half the price.
In short, no.

I know it's probably just as good (or good enough anyway) but for what the genuine manufacturer approved stuff costs me its a no brainer really?

These cars are getting old and long life oils have moved on, I'm reasonably certain my car had 5/40 fully synthetic when new and serviced by Audi. When out of warranty they offered a cut price service with semi 10/40.
I use Triple QX PD oil from Euro Car Parts, I pick it up when it is on offer. It's a synthetic 5/40. If you have any doubts Google Quantum PD oil, it's a 5/40. I wouldn't put anything/30 in my car but many experience no problems.
Edit: PD Oil at ECP 50% off this weekend.

Last edited:
These cars are getting old and long life oils have moved on, I'm reasonably certain my car had 5/40 fully synthetic when new and serviced by Audi. When out of warranty they offered a cut price service with semi 10/40.
I use Triple QX PD oil from Euro Car Parts, I pick it up when it is on offer. It's a synthetic 5/40. If you have any doubts Google Quantum PD oil, it's a 5/40. I wouldn't put anything/30 in my car but many experience no problems.
Edit: PD Oil at ECP 50% off this weekend.
Everyone has their own views on oil and what's best to use and as we all use our cars differently then it makes perfect sense that their may be different grades or weights of oil that will be more suitable for some and not others but I have to say that I have heard nothing good about the Euro Car Parts Triple X product you mention and it doesn't even meet the 507 specification, only 505.

Again it's up to us as individuals what oil we choose to put in our cars, just like as human beings what food we choose to put in our bodies but as you say you would never use what l use, I personally wouldn't put the oil you use in any of my cars but it's probably absolutely fine, I just don't see the point in taking the risk.

Oil and tyres are the two items I will never use anything other than what I believe to be the best as I feel they are (along with brakes) the most important serviceable items on a car.

I also think for a main Audi dealer to offer to use a cut price lower quality semi synthetic oil on a service because it's out of warranty is absolutely disgraceful ?

Everyone has their own views on oil and what's best to use and as we all use our cars differently then it makes perfect sense that their may be different grades or weights of oil that will be more suitable for some and not others but I have to say that I have heard nothing good about the Euro Car Parts Triple X product you mention and it doesn't even meet the 507 specification, only 505.

Again it's up to us as individuals what oil we choose to put in our cars, just like as human beings what food we choose to put in our bodies but as you say you would never use what l use, I personally wouldn't put the oil you use in any of my cars but it's probably absolutely fine, I just don't see the point in taking the risk.

Oil and tyres are the two items I will never use anything other than what I believe to be the best as I feel they are (along with brakes) the most important serviceable items on a car.

I also think for a main Audi dealer to offer to use a cut price lower quality semi synthetic oil on a service because it's out of warranty is absolutely disgraceful ?

Yes I overlooked long life service intervals requiring an oil to a higher spec than 505. But then who leaves their TDi with the same oil in for 33K miles. I certainly didn't when it was new and I changed the oil after 15K taking the car back to the dealer when the service interval came up at 33K miles.
Basically @technoman52 from the advice in this thread anything from the very best, most expensive, fully synthetic to a cheap 10/40 semi will do the job. Be aware of ambient temperatures, accommodate how you use the car and decide which service interval you will be using. Then go for something that meets your budget.

Back