Will it ever be fixed ????

had my 1.6 sport for nine months now and after needing a new temp sender i thought my problems were over but no, five months ago it started to misfire and the engine management light came on and glasgow audio replaced coils 2,3 and 4 and assured me it was fixed.
A few weeks later and its misfiring again and the engine management light is on and this time coil number 1 is replaced and glasgow audi assure me that it is fixed.
A few weeks later and its still misfiring and this time audi in germany tell glasgow audi just to turn the engine management system off for two hours to solve the problem and if not my injectors will need replaced.
i have had the car back two days and surprise surprise its still misfiring and now i will yet again have to contact glasgow audi, wait nearly a month for it to be booked in, beg for a courtesy car and waste more days of my life while the "technitions" scratch their heads because their laptops cant tell them whats really wrong.
Will this ever be solved before my warranty runs out in october?

I had an a4 a few years ago which was just as much an overpriced overhyped money pit as my a2 and i will never again buy a piece of s**t skoda, sorry seat, sorry volkswagen, sorry audi and should have kept my e class that never needed so much as a bulb.

Last edited:
one year on and I have a problem free A2. touch wood. i am grateful but i'm dredding the day something does go wrong... :eek:

well lets hope nothing does go wrong. As far as I am concerned the A2 is over rated fraut with many problems which will never be resolved. Seems every A2 will at some point in its life have the same problems so if you have a fairly new A2 which is ok at the moment you know what to expect the older it gets. In my opinion the A2 was the worst car I have ever owned and if you want to own a car that spends a lot of time in the garage and drains your bank balance then hats off to you. Just was not my idea of motoring in this high tech age

crb1o11,

Not being funny but is there anything you do like about the A2?

If i hated a car that much this is the last place i would spend my precious time! :confused:

Don't rubbish every Volkswagen group car off the back off your A2 ownership. I reckon I have owned 25+ VW group cars - and the A2 has been in a league of it's own for problems.

The best value in the Volkswagen group by far is Skoda - my 2001 Octavia 1.8 L&K Turbo, (6 years old and 144k miles), is the first choice in our house each morning and the runner up gets the A2 for the day!!

Mike

I do like the A2 but just get annoyed about all the hype about this car. Many people look on this forum asking for advise on buying an A2 and everyone says what a great car it is. This car would be a great car if it was not for all the faults and this is backed up by many owners asking for help over the things that are ging wrong with the car they have owned for only a few months. As for other cars in the VW group I know many people who have owned cars like the Polo and Golf and have driven these cars for many years with out any problems and I for one have a seven year old Lupo and to date all I have needed to replace is a temp sensor which speaks volumes for VW cars. Many owners on this forum seem to be able to repair their A2's them selves but there are a vast majority of A2 owners that have to rely on dealerships who just rip owners off with the high labour charges and I feel that these owners should be fully aware of what they are buying into. I for one may have thought twice before buying my A2 if I had been aware of this forum

I have an Audi a2 1.6 FSI we brought it 2 years and 8 months ago, i traded in my Subaru Impreza Terzo for it, at the time it was a good idea because I had a works van and my wife drove my car more than me, our little girl was only 6months old and the impreza cost £90 a week to run, the a2 was a cool small car with a good sized inside, huggable seats, sports supension, big wheels and fun to drive (a bit slow though) we loved it, but we also have been dogged with problems electric window switch 2x, open sky sunroof has had to fixed 3x, ashtray 2x, and misfire has been in the garage 6x (coils for the sparkplugs changing 2-3 at a time, we were told they had fault batches) our car is now out of it's warrenty but our dealer will fix anything that went wrong free of charge, we have had the to bring the car back twice since last September (2006) for coil to be replaced for the sparkplugs (and sunroof with they will not pay for see below), but you have to make sure that the faults that do ocure have been recorded on their system, we have had another problem with the roof it is banging again when it opens, but because they have no record of the previous faults on there system they will not fix it free of charge we have to pay

some more advice (this came from an audi dealer after sale manager), if your car is in its warrenty any parts that have been replaced free of charge the warrenty on the parts end when your warrenty finish's, but if you pay towards them say only a pound the warrenty stay on for the 3 years.

The other thing that you need to know is that you have to have Dealer stamps in your service book to get the parts fixed free, and at £320 a shot its alot of money especally when i have an audi speclist around the corner that will do it for £200

Many Thanks

Colin

ps i love my A2 eventhough it has had these faults. it's a cool car

Last edited:
Hi Colin,
At last somebody with as many coil packs replaced as me! The last ones I had fitted was way back in Feb 2006. There has been a new design -up rated and by my experience, reliable. No problems since. By the way the warranty for coil packs is extended by a further 2 years after the original car warranty expired. The original coil packs were an issue for all VAG produced cars using them.

Hi Mark

So hopefully the lst set we had should be good ones then, when i last spoke to audi they said that it was some fault with the manufacture of them so audi brought the company sorted out the problem and now all should ok, fingers crossed, do you recommend the audi service or the cheaper option of the audi specalist service, and also do you know anywhere in the southwest were i can turn my little cute pig into a beast (ha ha)

Thanks

Colin

Last edited:
terzo i have pm'd you. Were you told that by Jim or gyles from taunton audi? Taunton audi after sales is as usefull as a choclate tea pot. All new geuine parts are supposed to come with there own warranty regardless weather you pay or not.

Alex

TSR went bust about 1-2 years ago a freind of my new the new owner but he didn't seem to have the capital to keep it going, i have since found a garage in Taunton that are Merc & VAG specalist K&R autos 01823 350035, they are servicing my car, Small service £70 and big service £100, any parts and extra labour is an extra, but that is cheaper than Audi £320, anyway they run a few rally cars so they will take a look and give me a price for extra power
It wasn't Jim that told me it was the fella before him he left to go to a suzuki dealer in Bournmouth, and that idiot Giles i just won't even go near him, he nearly lost audi the sale of our A2 because he just would listen to what my wife wanted when we brought the car, we complained and Taunton audi then sent her some flowers to say sorry.
Jim has been very helpful and had the coils replaced for us even though the car was out of it's warrenty. but as i still won't be going back anymore as these guys at K&R seem realy helpful

Colin

The reason i had at a go at all the vw group is that they are basically all the same with a different shell and badge and unfortunately for the second and definately and last time i got sucked into the myth about their reliability especially their so called prestige brand of audi. Two of the many times my a2 has been in the garage i recieved a brand new polo as a courtesy car with a stereo that didnt work and a door handle that came off in my hand although i would say that it only had a 1.2 engine but was far quicker than my so called state of the art lightweight aluminium 1.6 a2.
I also have to say from the thieving dishonest scum at Leeds Audi who sold me my A2 to the equally useless bunch of pretentious liers at Glasgow Audi i have never dealt with a worse dealership than audi's.
I keep my cars for two years for financial reasons and more to the point she doesnt let me change any sooner so unfortunately i am stuck with this over rated piece of s**t until next october or should i say i will be sharing it with Glasgow Audi until then and unlike others on this forum who look at the a2 through rose tinted glasses i am on this forum to tell it how it is warts and all because if it worked i would be more than happy with my a2 however what do people expect me to say about their beloved a2's if it spends its life in a garage and gives you constant stress and inconvenience ?? so if anyone out there is considering buying a car that is forever in the garage not being fixed by "technintions" with laptops then i suggest buying a fiat and that way you get what is expected without the initial overpriced outlay.

One plus point since getting my a2 in october i have only had to wash it once as it gets washed and hoovered each time audi fails miserably to fix it which has averaged once a month, its booked in on the 8th august for the injector valves to be replaced so yet another wash and hoover !!!!!!!!!
Don.

Last edited:
At last someone else who is not afraid to speak their mind on the woes and troubles with the A2 I take my hat off to you PANZERMCGRORY. I had to keep my A2 for at least two years before I eventualy got rid of it. I was lucky enough to have a warranty all the time I had it so the repairs didnt cost me anything but as soon as the warranty ran out the car went. I now own a Polo and I must say what a pleasure it is to have a car that stays out of the garage (dealership). I got to the stage where I didnt want to drive the A2 for fear of something else going wrong with it. The amount of hassle it causes having to keep taking it in to have the fault diagnosed and then having to re-book the car in again to have the repairs carried out. It seems the days of having cars repaired on the same day as diagnosing the problem have long gone as the dealerships dont hold the spares anymore and have to order them in everytime. My A2 went in nearly every 3 months in fact I felt like pre booking it in 3 months ahead. The final straw was when the gearbox developed a very loud whine in 5th gear and only done 40k not good for an Audi. I have owned many makes of car including a ford and Peuguot and they NEVER gave me any trouble. Lets hope the Polo keeps on being reliable but I see no reason why it shouldnt. Inlaws have had 3 Polo's now and never had a problem

I had a quick look at the used car guides on the WarrantyDirect web site to see how A2 reliability compares with a range of similar model year cars, including Polos and Fiats. I'm sure its no consolation to you guys who have owned real lemons but the way I read it, on average, A2's are certainly no worse than most but if reliability is top of your list, buy a Honda.
http://www.warrantydirect.co.uk/Volkswagen-Polo_guide.html?cart=11856600291407075&id=732

Cheers Spike

Does the warranty direct web site use data from claims made on their policies for cars covered?? If so then that information could be mis leading as I had a claim rejected by Warranty direct on my A2

I think that there are more duff A2s out there but the owners dont want to admit it. Afterall you pay a premium price for these cars so you just put up with the problems well thats not for me so it had to go.

I dont wear rose tinted glasses for anything and always say it how it is and for the people out there who genuinly have trouble free a2's good luck to you and long may it continue but when im changing this dog it will be another e-class for me although i have to agree the best car is a honda and if i am in the minority and just a moaner then ask yourselves this, if the A2 was such a great car then why did Audi bin it so quickly? (yes i do expect the same old answer to that one) why unlike other inovative cars in their history do Audi not brag about their A2 in their promotional literature? Why are Audi so embarrased about the A2 that they wont even acknowledge they ever made such a grounbreaking car? Audi would rather have a BMW in their museum than an A2.
And i will get back to my original question, when my a2 goes back into glasgow audi in two weeks to have the injector valves replaced will it eventually be fixed and the misfires will stop and the emu light will stop coming on? i know very little mechanically about cars but i very much doubt it will be fixed however what else can be replaced? and theres no point in asking the muppets (sorry technitions) who work for audi because unless their laptops tell them what the problem is their f**ked, oh for an old fashioned mechanic who has experience and knowledge to call upon to get the job done.
Don

Back