Wishbone pivot bolt snapped!!

nealefloyd

Just had a MAJOR disaster as during the attempt to change my front passenger wishbone the pivot bolt snapped!!.On quickly looking through a few posts here it seems I'm going to have to remove the suspension console and replace that too.
To save me some time looking through all the related posts,I wonder if anyone could help out with the correct part no. and somewhere to get one that's reasonably priced,please?Wish I'd just left it alone now:(:oops::rolleyes:

Just had a MAJOR disaster as during the attempt to change my front passenger wishbone the pivot bolt snapped!!.On quickly looking through a few posts here it seems I'm going to have to remove the suspension console and replace that too.
To save me some time looking through all the related posts,I wonder if anyone could help out with the correct part no. and somewhere to get one that's reasonably priced,please?Wish I'd just left it alone now

The VW Polo MK4 uses much softer rubber bushes than the Audi A2.

However, you might be able to swap the rubber bushes over to the A2 ones in the new Polo console.

The Seat Ibiza MK3 1.9TDI 160HP appears to use the same rubber bushes as the Audi A2, although they do have different OEM part numbers.

As you can see in the photos below, the Audi A2 and Seat Ibiza 1.9TDI 160HP rubber bush is made of solid rubber so that it gives a firmer and more sporty ride. The VW Polo MK4 rubber bush is not solid and is built for comfort not performance. If you wanted to change them yourself, you might be able to use the special tool shown in the bottom photo. However, it's very important to orientate the rubber bush correctly. So take plenty of photos before removing the old bush, and look out for any alignment marks.

It's probably best to first practice removing and refitting the old bush in the old console, to see how difficult the job is.

Audi A2 rubber bush 8Z0407183
Seat Ibiza MK3 1.9TDI 160HP rubber bush 6LL407183

thumb

thumb

VW Polo MK4 rubber bush 1K0407183E
thumb

thumb

Special tool for removing and refitting the rubber bush
thumb

thumb

Last edited:
Or you could take the old console to an engineering shop and have the remains of the bolt drilled out and the hole fitted with a helicoil.

Or you could take the old console to an engineering shop and have the remains of the bolt drilled out and the hole fitted with a helicoil.

Very risky, unless the engineer/tool-maker does a good job...and very often they don't. It's all too easy for them to take shortcuts, such as threading in an inadequate number of threads on the helicoil.

I wouldn't risk it, as good secondhand VAG consoles are available for under £40 including postage.

If you can drill through the bush in several places so it is no longer solid. Using a hacksaw blade carefully cut through the bush casing using on of the holes you drilled. Then using a small chisel/ old screwdriver blade hammer the casing so it breaks into a smaller circumference until you can get it out.
Very time consuming & tests your patience but it can be done. I had to do it on a Skoda Fabia. Clean up the inside of console & your ready for your new bushes. As previously mentioned take photos and mark up the console so you replace in the same position.
Best of luck.
I'm just about to start mine.

Attachments

• PXL_20230424_055400499_compress69.jpg
    PXL_20230424_055400499_compress69.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 124
  • PXL_20230425_060028964_compress63.jpg
    PXL_20230425_060028964_compress63.jpg
    412 KB · Views: 120
That is exactly what I had to do.
If you can drill through the bush in several places so it is no longer solid. Using a hacksaw blade carefully cut through the bush casing using on of the holes you drilled. Then using a small chisel/ old screwdriver blade hammer the casing so it breaks into a smaller circumference until you can get it out.
Very time consuming & tests your patience but it can be done. I had to do it on a Skoda Fabia. Clean up the inside of console & your ready for your new bushes. As previously mentioned take photos and mark up the console so you replace in the same position.
Best of luck.
I'm just about to start mine.

I am dreading this. Going by some of the bolts on the front suspension on my FSi I may get snappage too. Going to be VERY careful when i change my NS from hollow to cast to match the OS.
Its actually shocking to me how bad the bolts etc rust on these cars. And that's from someone who has driven Rover 800s for 20+ years and worked on LOTS that aren't mine

The VW Polo MK4 uses much softer rubber bushes than the Audi A2.

However, you might be able to swap the rubber bushes over to the A2 ones in the new Polo console.

The Seat Ibiza MK3 1.9TDI 160HP appears to use the same rubber bushes as the Audi A2, although they do have different OEM part numbers.

As you can see in the photos below, the Audi A2 and Seat Ibiza 1.9TDI 160HP rubber bush is made of solid rubber so that it gives a firmer and more sporty ride. The VW Polo MK4 rubber bush is not solid and is built for comfort not performance. If you wanted to change them yourself, you might be able to use the special tool shown in the bottom photo. However, it's very important to orientate the rubber bush correctly. So take plenty of photos before removing the old bush, and look out for any alignment marks.

It probably best to first practice removing and refitting the old bush in the old console, to see how difficult the job is.

Audi A2 rubber bush 8Z0407183
Seat Ibiza MK3 1.9TDI 160HP rubber bush 6LL407183

thumb

thumb

VW Polo MK4 rubber bush 1K0407183E
thumb

thumb

Special tool for removing and refitting the rubber bush
thumb

thumb

Cheers Carlston,a very comprehensive answer!My drivers side got the Polo bush so I've ordered the same for passenger.Actually prefer the softer bush/ride as roads are so bad these days.cheers!

Ok. so I got the bolt out. That took some time, care, and patience!!! So did the ball joint nut.
The way the metal rusts on these is quite shocking!
However, dumb question/thread highjack.
Should the back of the wishbone just pull/slide out of the bush once you've manhandled the front out of the fitting recess? (I still haven't done the download of the manuals etc i was pointed to.....)
or do I need to undo something else?
The cast arm doesn't have anything on the end of it, so guess the pressed steel arm doesn't either.

To save me some time looking through all the related posts,I wonder if anyone could help out with the correct part no. and somewhere to get one that's reasonably priced,please?Wish I'd just left it alone now:(:oops::rolleyes:
Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice etc re.my problem.Finished the job yesterday.The actual console came out reasonably easy with the help of a mate.We found that it was better to remove the top small ball joint arm as well.On attempting to fit the new,cast,wishbone into the new console bush the hexagonal leg would NOT go into the bush by any normal means available.Popped down to my MOT place where they used a massive hydraulic press to force it in. Took them 5 minutes and refused payment!To get back on the car it took some serious prying of the anti roll bar to get underneath and past.Further use of large hammer and bars to get bolt holes to re-align,jack under the disc/strut also helped.Refitted balllljoints,wheel back on and went for a run.No clonks or noises,job done!!So apart from all the money saved on labour:I dread to think how much that would have been,I now have piece of mind as both sides are done.I would add that once you get the old wishbone off some might think,like my mate,that it looks ok and you've wasted your time but if you chip away at the rusty bits you soon get some VERY nasty holes in the steel and if you factor in the stresses it would be under if left to rot further?
Costs were about £50 for the cast wishbone and £72 for the console with VW Polo bush,Thanks again to everyone!!👏👌👍

Thanks Steve,found the part no. here and have ordered one up.
Hi there. I've the same issue and looking to get both Polo 9N consoles, as there seem to be no A2 available, even 2nd hand on the 'bay. Can you let me know the part numbers for both please? Also for the bushes too. Many thanks 🙏

Back