ABS Traction control problems, Engine light on and coolant temperature gauge problems

Lee8787

Hello,

Having a few problems with my Audi A2 2002 1.4 petrol car :(

The main worry is the engine light that has been on for a few days now. I had this previous problem before but it went off after 2 days, it has been on now for 5 days which is worrying me.

The second problem is the annoying ABS traction control which seems to have random fits and beeps for a 30 secs then goes off, or i have to turn the car off and start it again for it to disappear. It happens randomly from once a day to maybe once in two weeks.

The third problem is my coolant temperature gauge which only goes up to quarter tank and will not go up to 90, half way, even after being on the motorway.

Any advice and help is appreciated as i am looking to sell my car soon and my M0T will be due soon, so need all the help i can get.

P.s

I'm a lady so be gentle :)

Hi,

The engine light and the ABS errors could be linked, please check that your brake lights are working. This is a common fault. If the switch fails the ABS senses the car slowing down but doesn't sense the brake pedal being used (because the switch is broken).

Not saying this is the cause, but it is VERY easy to check. Swithc the ignition on and press the pedal several times while watching for the brake lights coming on (in the reflection of a car behind or at night you should see the bright red light.

Worth a try before you spend any serious money.

Steve B

With the temperature firstly check that there is enough coolant in the reservoir ( you would have to take the bonnet off and check the level in the coolant tank (round white plastic container to the rear right of the engine bay (looking into the engine bay from the front)

Sorry if I am sounding patronising, it is just that I have no idea of how "mechanically minded you are" Some people don't know the basics, others know a LOT but I don't know which category you fall into?

If the coolant level is ok then the temperature sender may be faulty (another small common fault)

Has it only just started doing this?

Steve B

Hi Stevie

Thanks for the reply. I have got coolant in the tank, at first i thought that may have been the problem, but you're right i think its the actual temperature gauge with the problem as it's usually spot on. This has just been happening recently. Maybe for about a week now.

I will check the lights today, hopefully it's something easy. Although i was thinking that all the problems i'm having may be related as they seem to have popped up recently and i've heard A2's have a lot of electrical faults?

I will check the lights, thanks for your advice! Much appreciated :)

Hi
The lights are working fine. And the problem still continues. Engine light is still on :(
HI,

You need a scan to determine the error codes.

Do you have anyone local (a fellow A2OC member perhaps?) that has the genuine cable?

It is important to establish the cause properly before you go spending money on the parts that are ok?

Steve B

Back