Big end knocking - help !!

chrisg2

Hi everybody

I have a 1.4 petrol A2 that has just recently shown an oil level light - we have topped up the oil regulalry which puts the light out - only today the light came on then almost immediately I got that dreaded bottom end knock - well my partner did - I went to her rescue and it does sound like the dreaded bottom end clunck of a spun bearing

The thing is whereever I have searched I have not seen any posts of people experiencig this problem on this site or any other site

In blind hope...is there anything else it could be???

Is it easy to drop the sump with the engine in situ to check the crankshaft/bearings - what should I look for???

And if all else fails - can anyone recommend a good (cheap) place for a replacement engine???

Many thanks

C :confused:

Hi everybody

I have a 1.4 petrol A2 that has just recently shown an oil level light - we have topped up the oil regulalry which puts the light out - only today the light came on then almost immediately I got that dreaded bottom end knock - well my partner did - I went to her rescue and it does sound like the dreaded bottom end clunck of a spun bearing

The thing is whereever I have searched I have not seen any posts of people experiencig this problem on this site or any other site

In blind hope...is there anything else it could be???

Is it easy to drop the sump with the engine in situ to check the crankshaft/bearings - what should I look for???

And if all else fails - can anyone recommend a good (cheap) place for a replacement engine???

Many thanks

C :confused:

Hi Chris, Welcome to the forum, sorry to see your joining us under these circustances.

What year is your car and what is the mileage?
If you had to keep topping up oil then usually theres one two reasons, A leak or the engine is burning it, things like rings etc.

If the engine had a leak you would possibly have noticed oil marks on the ground, but because of the cover under underneath this may not have been too obvious. if on the other hand the engine was burning it off, then you would have noticed bule smoke out the exhaust.

It depends on the service history, age, condition and mileage of the engine which will sway your decision on wether you need to repair or replace your engine.

I suggest you get quotes on both options before deciding.

You can try John at KJ Cars, he's usually breaking A2's and see how much an Petrol A2 engine would be.

John KJ Cars 07894627837

Cheers

Sarge

Hi Chris, welcome to the A2oc
Does the oil light stay on all the time now ? If it goes out at start-up that suggests you have some oil pressure. Next step would be to have the oil pressure checked with a gauge. If the pressure is ok then its unlikely to be a bearing failure. The only other possibility for the death rattle sound could be a failed hydraulic tappet.
If you'r unlucky and the rod or main bearings have failed then a good second hand engine may be a better option than a rebuild. Its so difficult to dislodge all the debris from the oil galleries and oil cooler etc the risk of a repeat failure is quite high unless all the parts are meticulously cleaned.

Cheers Spike

Big end knocking - possible recovery?

Thanks all (both) for your responses

Well I have dropped the sump and found one rattly con rod big end bearing

I split the cap and took out the shells - they are melted alright but dont appear to have spun... there are no marks or scores on the conrod, or the other half of the cap or on the crank shaft - not one mark - have measured the crank in 3 places and its round !!!!

Is it just possible that if I make sure I aint got any bits of white metal in and about that I could just put a new set of shells in???

Thanks again

C

Hi Chris

Did you check any of the other conrods or mains for signs of oil starvation/wear. If so, and everything looks ok then you don't have much to loose if you fit the new shells and give it a try. As you are doing the work yourself could you run the engine gently for 20 miles or so and drop the sump again to see if the new shells look ok, to gain some confidence in the fix.

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
Back