Is Stealth worth it?

willTDi

Really considering getting my TDI remapped at stealth but was just wondering if it was worth the £270 & 150 mile trip?

I have read lots of useful info on this forum and thought if I was going to get it remapped then stealth is probably the best place to go?

But can you tell a real difference in the car & after being remapped is it more prone to things going wrong with it?

Cheers
Will

Getting the TDi remapped is absolutely a night-and-day difference in terms of how the car drives - it's much more flexible and willing lower down and it doesn't run out of puff above 3000rpm. As to whether you need to go to Stealth or not - well there are many places that will do remaps, but Stealth have done a very large number of A2s so they know them inside out.

As to things going wrong, do you have a 75 or a 90 TDi? If the latter, well you might be more prone to slipping clutch or dual-mass flywheel issues (as the remapped 90 can produce a LOT of torque), but otherwise, provided the remap is done to within the ECU's normal safety parameters (which it would be at Stealth), then it's unlikely that it'll cause any more problems over and above the usual potential age-related wear problems with positive boost in any 10 year old car - ie. boost leaks from split intercoolers, split boost control lines, leaking wastegates and faulty N75 valves.

Hi Will,

I appreciate I went 'against the grain' but when we had our A2 TDi 75 I went down the Superchips route, mainly due to Stealth's location coupled to the fact that I'd used them before on a Golf TDi and was very impressed with the results. Also for the convenience, they come to you, work, home…it's your call. Granted you don't get a rolling road session included and it's more money (can usually get a discount though) but if it's good enough for Volkswagen Racing then it's good enough for me.

Happy tuning!
Best ./Andy

I had my car remaped by stealth and I am very happy. Vince knows his stuff and dose each remap differently to each car. So you get the best remap for your car.

He let's you go out for a test drive before he finishes so you go home happy.

Cheers

David

I agree. I currently have a mapped 2002 TDI 75 and a non-mapped 2002 TDI 75, so I can do a direct comparison.
Personally, I would have it done by Stealth. They'll not just put a standard upgraded map into your ECU and let you drive away, but instead put your car on the rolling road and alter the map to suit your specific engine, doing their best to keep your car's emissions clean, etc. They also don't push things too far, as they're mechanically considerate!

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
For the sake of balance, mine is a Revo/AmD remap, which wasn't a custom-job but a "standard" remap.

The point of not pushing things too far in order to chase world-beating BHP figures is important though - if the remap is excessive, you will start to get an increase in smoke, (essentially partially-burnt diesel fuel) and poor MPG figures.

As I've done most of the mods to my A2 now, I'm considering a remap, but the car pulls so well at times i think it has been already. I guess the only way to tell is on a rolling road.

Maybe I can try a non mapped and a mapped 1.4 Tdi at one of the socials before driving all the way to Essex to be told I'm already mapped.

Just came across Eco power remaps which seams alot closer to me than Stealth, has anybody used these on their A2?

Why is stealth more expensive than most?
I have been looking on the internet for a week or so now & mobile home remaps are only around £150, as anybody had a mobile remap on their A2?

Or is it best to pay double the amount & go to Stealth?

Cheers

Why is stealth more expensive than most?
I have been looking on the internet for a week or so now & mobile home remaps are only around £150, as anybody had a mobile remap on their A2?

Or is it best to pay double the amount & go to Stealth?

Cheers

Stealth offer a significant discount for A2OC members, so it's certainly not twice the price. I believe Stealth did my car for £230.
As stated previously, Stealth will not just put a standard upgraded map into your ECU and let you drive away, but instead put your car on the rolling road and alter the map to suit the unique qualities of your engine, doing their best to keep your car's emissions clean, eliminating unburnt fuel, etc. Vince understands all the paramaters that there are to alter and the impact that each one has. I think his expertise are worth the money.

Tom

I would second the above.
For the sake of a tank of fuel, do you really want to risk your car with an unknown otganisation?
As others have said, Vince & Co. know an awful lot about our A2s, I've used them twice and will definitely use them again.
The remap transforms the car - go for it!!

Gary

I had a Stealth remap last year and the difference is amazing. Of all the cars I've owned it's the single best / value for money modification I've ever had done, 106 hp and 212 lb ft of torque makes a difference !

Hi, I had my A2 1.4tdi 75bhp Stealthed last week. The difference is amazing, the car is much more driveable, you can you use the whole of the rev range, I am totally stunned by the transformation. I also had cruise control fitted, which makes the car so relaxing to drive, it makes life so much easier on roads with average speed cameras on them too. You will be made welcome by the very knowledgeable Vince, who is more than happy to answer any queries you might have. If you are very lucky, you might get to see John Maliks' insane VW Bora, which makes around 850bhp and eats supercars for breakfast, lunch and dessert! I travelled up from Devon and even had to stay the night as a part was missing from the cruise control. The Great Western Hotel is nearby, cheap at £35 a night and does good food and beer. The manager is a great bloke, very friendly and even acted as a free taxi, taking me to Stealth after breakfast to save me cost of a taxi. Have it done Will, you will not regret it! Best regards, Brian.

I understand the Stealth remap price includes a 'before and after' dyno run and a diagnostic scan to check the engine is running correctly before the remap. You also get the before and after power and torque curve graphs so you know exactly what the improvements are. Vince also spends time fine tuning the map to optimise it for your specific engine. Finally, Vince can put the engine back to standard (for insurance issues with a young driver etc) or reload the remap should the dealer ever 'wipe' the ECU when loading updates during a service.

Cheers Spike

Hi

Ive just got a TDI 75 Sport and was considering this mod, where are Stealth based and is the mod undertaken with a rolling road to confirm advances on the ECU

Cheers

Back