Key Fobs intermitent, alarm and hazards going off whilst driving!!!

Nicklane

Dear all,

I wonder if some one can provide me with any guidance once I have explained all that is happening?

A few weeks back the fob failed and I could not open the car. Once I opened manually the alarm started sounding and even continuing with engine running. Eventually this stopped and life carried on as normal? I did change the batteries in both fobs after this event.

Two nights ago I was driving along and the alarm went off and hazzards flashing (at double flashing speed I think) and after I had pulled over this contined. The alarm would stop and start, the hazards remained on permantly.

Last night, when I got in the car the windows were not working at all (1.4 SE model) nor were the electric door lock. After approx ten mins of driving I heard a click where the doors all unlocked and the windows started to work?! At this point the alarm triggered again and the hazards flashing (double time). I pulled over and turned the car off and left it like that for >10 mins. Once the hazards stopped the car started and carried on as per normal. This is driving me mad (especially as I left my coat in the boot and couldnt get in) but I am reluctant to take it to Audi until possibly you guys have passed on your opinions.

Many Thanks in advance.

Hello and welcome to the A2OC,

It sounds like your Central Convenience Unit has developed a fault. This is very common, though the symptoms vary.

The best thing to do is have a diagnostic scan done on the car. I don't know how much Audi charge for this, though any VAG independent garage will be able to do it for you and will almost certainly cost less. Once you've had this done, post the results of the scan in this thread and we'll be able to help you further.

Alternatively, take the car to Audi and tell them that you think the CCU has died. Taking a little knowledge to a garage is always a good thing!

Best of luck,

Tom

well if it does turn out to be your CCU have a look through the site someone does an exchange repair on them.

CCU located in the passenger footwell under the carpet which just pulls up then you should see a hatch cover twist open the catches and you should see a big black box with lots of wires going into it thats the CCU. while your at it you might want to check for signs of water in there.

The update!

It is in Audi as we speak and after clearing a lot of faults they were unable to clear the CCU faults.!! no surprise!. I will be £417 lighter by the end of today. Its a shame as this appears to be a common fault and a contribution from Audi would have been nice. I politely declined there offer of change the blown bulb on the number plate and the corner sidelight on the rear for £37!!

I have been warned that I have a minor oil leak on the breather outlet of the engine? Should I be concerned? It has done 87,000

Hi Nick

Did changing the CCU fix the fault. My 2001 Audi A2 1.4TDI has exactly the same symptoms. It has slowly got worse over the past couple of months and now the alarm and central locking don't work.

Iain

Hi folks,

For the benefit of all, an A2OC member, Lau, can repair CCUs to their as-new condition for about £80. He lives in Germany, so you'd have to remove and post the unit to him yourself, but he generally gets it back to you within 10 days or so. The car can still be used without the CCU, but it won't lock. If this isn't an issue, save yourself hundreds of pounds and have it repaired.

More info here: http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?13656 and here: http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?18880

Cheers,

Tom

Just a quick comment about using Lau. Highly recommended!!!!!!
My CCU died so after hearing about Lau's services on this site I contacted him by email. Posted it to Germany and got it back after about 10 days. Refitted it, fitted new batteries in both key fobs and re-sync'd them. Everything worked perfectly. Payment was made using Paypal. Much cheaper option than getting a new or even second hand unit off ebay

Once again, Highly Recommended

Ian

Back