Mysterious ABS Fault

Hi folks,

Yesterday I got a very slight grind from the front end then the dash desided to light up with three warning lights triangle with circle round it, the ABS then a red circle in the middle instrument cluster with three beeps and then the brake peddle went a little light and spongey.

Brake pads and disks have plenty life left in them and drums were recently checked and found to be all good and working.. I tried to do an OBDII read on the car but came back with zero fault codes?? Any help would be great.

Cheers Luke

IMG_20230616_2155523.jpg

Does your reader give access to the ABS system self test modes? - from memory on mine it goes through a series of buzzing noises from each corner and so on and gives some feedback if there are any issues (sensor open to ground and so on). Wondering if you've got an ABS sensor playing up?

Does your reader give access to the ABS system self test modes? - from memory on mine it goes through a series of buzzing noises from each corner and so on and gives some feedback if there are any issues (sensor open to ground and so on). Wondering if you've got an ABS sensor playing up?
Hi Robin,

Cheers for the reply, hope you are well. I don't think my reader does that then as it never made any noises from each corner done a scan for about 2 minutes then came back with zero faults found. If the ABS sensor was playing up would that cause a lightness in braking?

Cheers

Sounds very much like a sensor or indeed it's air gap. used to get this a lot after doing work on the B5 cars front suspension with push fit sensors the shock therapy used for removing ball Joints was enough to loosen them. A simple lay on your back and have a reach around pushing the sensor fully home cured the Fault, not sure how this fits with the A2 but looking at wheel speed sensor readings might give you the first clue

Are there any remaining dash warnings, or alarms now, or, has normal service resumed?
Mac.
If it's a faulty sensor, then the fault will remain, along with the associated dash light, until the fault is cleared.
If the dash is now clear, with no lights, then the ABS/ESP system detected a potentially safety related situation, so it intervened.
Once all is well again, the dash will clear and no fault will be logged, because there is no fault. That's why I asked about the dash.
Establish if there's a fault to fix, before fixing it. If there is a fault a scan is the way to diagnose it.
Mac.

Evening folks,

Thanks for the replies. The brakes are still working if anything they feel 'lighter' or slightly less responsive than they were before this happened.. could be an air gap as the rear lines were changed about 6 months ago? As far as anything else I've looked under the car there is no brake fluid pissing from anywhere the lights on the dash are still there see picture, with the three beeps as mentioned when you start moving.

Cheers Luke

IMG_20230708_152538.jpg

Update : this morning all the lights disappeared from the dash while driving then 5 minutes later came back so could be a faulty sensor? Or like mentioned an air lock? Cheers

I did have a very intermittent fault with Mr Black, would record a brake pressure fault but I wasn't convinced it was the pump so decided to fit a brake light switch which cured the Fault

Update : this morning all the lights disappeared from the dash while driving then 5 minutes later came back so could be a faulty sensor? Or like mentioned an air lock? Cheers
with regard to the brake light switch question suggested in the previous post : with the radio on, do you ever get a burst of static noise when you press the brake pedal? I had an erratic brake light switch error message which correlated with a static buzz as soon as the pedal moved.

Back