Newbie Questions for le A2 Key Fob / Alloys / iPod jack

Hey all,

Recent new owner of a 2001 A2 TDi and have a few questions for the more experienced.

1. Second Fob - bought the car with only the one key, car dealer suggested that I would be looking at about £80 for the purchase and programming of a second key but I took his word with a grain of salt. Any recommendations on the most cost effective way or aquiring a new 3 button fob key and having it programmed ?

2. Alloy Caps - All in all the alloy wheels have seen better days which I can live with, but the central cap on one of the wheels has gone amiss. Any suggestions on getting a replacement?

3. iPod Jack - Oddly the car has been kitted with climate and leather but no CD player. Anyone with experience in getting an iPod / MP3 auxillary jack fitted to the existing Chorus system?

Have some mechanical questions which I will post in the mechanical thread q area. Any advice would be very much appreciated

Hi and welcome to the A2oc.

1) you can get keys off eBay. You have to get one with the same mode no as your original. you then need to get a blank blade and get it cut. The last thing is to get it coded. Mike Skipton or Sarge786 can do this for you. Sarge is in London so a lot easier for you. Prob best thing to pm him. I am not sure on costs.

2) I would suggest eBay, failing that I am pretty sure dealers sell them singly.

3) you can get a dice unit for your iPod. I might be wrong but I don't think they work with older radios. Ones with one knob in the middle. The new ones have two knobs on each side. I am sure someone can confirm this.
If you can have this the lead can be tucked away in the clove box or in the cubby hole under the climate control.

I know it's amazing buying a car in 2004 with a cassette player:eek:

Cheers

David

Cheers ¬

Thanks Dave,

Most appreciated. Audi have quoted me £150 + vat for the key so lets see if I can do better then that.

2. Will check out ebay for caps, a lot of them seem to be plastic so will see how that pans out. Anyone know of any A2 wreckers about?

3, Got the old single button sterio system. Fingers crossed that a jack can be spliced in, anyone with technical tips how this is done?

Cheers,

Mark

As noted, the head units with a single central dial are Generation I. Those with a dial on each side are Generation II.

I'm afraid the Chorus I head unit has no inputs for CD changers or other devices. Your only option is to replace it with something newer. The Concert I does have a CD changer input as do all Generation II devices.

Re the keys, previous posters say that you need to make sure the entire part number matches your existing key exactly. As in, open your key up and take a look at the number printed at the top of the half with the buttons. If you have an 8Z0837231 then that is what you need from eBay. If you have an 8Z0837231D then that is what you need to get. The two are apparently not interchangeable.

Thanks Hendrik,

Any ideas if it is more trouble then it's worth sourcing a Concert system or something better? Sticking with just the tape player isn't an option and i'd prefer to stick with an Audi original system if possible.

Will open up the fob tonight and see if I can find a second key on ebay.

Cheers,

Mark

There seems to be a regular supply of Audi radios on eBay. If you go that route, make sure it comes with the unlock code because it will need unlocking once you plug it in to your car. The Audi security system asks the car what it's id is when the radio turns on and if it doesn't recognise the response then it locks itself. I have no idea if all Audi radios are the same, as in, would an A3 or TT head unit fit in an A2? They certainly looks the same.

However, I've just remembered that some of the wiring in the connectors on the back of the radio changed from MY01 (Generation I) to MY02 (Generation II). E.g. old units had an ignition switched live to turn them on/off whereas new ones talk CAN bus / K-wire with the ECU/CCU to find out when the car is 'on'. So you might not actually be able to plug a Concert II into your old wiring. A Concert I might be your only upgrade option.

Also worth noting is that the Concert series use an external amplifier for the rear speakers but the Chorus does not. That would mean losing the rears (assuming you have them fitted) if you switch from one to the other unless you add an external amp as well.

Back