Pivot bolt snapped

Bernie

Well im replacing the offside wishbone and the bolt snapped ! What are my options??

Last edited:
May be easier and quicker replacing the near side console especially if you do not have suitable tools to remove the broken bolt.

So are you saying the bolt snapped on reassembly with the new wishbone, or it snapped during the strip?

In that case replace the console and fit your new wishbone to that along with a new bolt. The threads normally pick up on strip.

Mark around the existing console to get the replacement in as close as possible. Still recommend a four wheel alignment afterwards.

One other thing you can not mix and match the wishbones, both have to be cast or both have to be pressed steel.

I think it's recently been discovered that the same console is used on the Polo, but I can't remember which variant.

Discussed here two years ago:

and last year:

Discussed here two years ago:

and last year:

That is recent when you've been part of the club for a decade :p

Try and find a set of these:

+1 to getting alignment pins, a very worthwhile tool and leave a lot less to go wrong compared with marking up the frame as I have found it very hard to get everything to stay aligned when you try and fit the consoles back in. The pins made the job a lot easier the second time I had this part off

Thanks guys, is there a picture of where the locating pins go?
Hi Bernie ... there are four locating pins in the set, two for each side ... you replace each bolt in turn as it's removed from the sub frame with one of the locating pins ... straight through the console and it sets the current location, it's more obvious when you come to do it and would recommend doing one side at a time then you are less likely to lose the subframe position ... draw around each one with a marker for added reassurance.

Seems its a useless job to attempt to extract whats left of the bolt,so can anyone point me to a replacement console?
Thanks

Hi all,so the consoles nearly replaced anybody got the torque settings for the bolts on the steering rack??

Hi all,so the consoles nearly replaced anybody got the torque settings for the bolts on the steering rack??
Yes these are stretch bolts, two on each side and should be renewed ... 50Nm + 90°
The bolts that go through the consoles into the captive nuts on the chassis are 70Nm + 90° and these are also stretch bolts.

Yes these are stretch bolts, two on each side and should be renewed ... 50Nm + 90°
The bolts that go through the consoles into the captive nuts on the chassis are 70Nm + 90° and these are also stretch bolts.
I don't think they are stretch bolts, I happily reuse them and so does my local Audi workshop. I believe they are standard 10.9 grade bolts, I'll take a look when under the car later. However the manual does say replace, so the advice on here has to be to replace.
Edit it will be obvious if the bolts removed are stretch bolts, at some point a plain turned section will be necking slightly.

Back