:( Steering gone … again

Bordos

Poland
So I was sure that this problem is solved (oil level ok, earth connection cleaned, earth connection directly to generator added, fuses under driver legs ok, no fault codes…) - but during my long weekend ride I got this on the mountain road full of curves …

Any “quick” advise :)?
IMG_3941.jpeg

So I was sure that this problem is solved (oil level ok, earth connection cleaned, earth connection directly to generator added, fuses under driver legs ok, no fault codes…) - but during my long weekend ride I got this on the mountain road full of curves …

Any “quick” advise :)?
View attachment 109072
Disconnect plug and check/clean all connections

Have you checked the fluid level (under headlight on your driver side of the car)? Headlight needs to be removed...

Ah, sorry, just seen that you said this is ok!! Must read the full thread next time..

Did you manage to sort something?
Also why the engine light on the dash doesn't indicate any faults?

Did you manage to sort something?
Also why the engine light on the dash doesn't indicate any faults?
It's not an engine fault. When the steering on my car was non-functional there was no engine light.

Could this be a low voltage issue caused by extensive steering use with maybe a sub-ideal battery charge level?

It lasted for 30 minutes, than repair itself …
It happed two times again but for a short time…
My charger (in the lighter socket) indicates 14.4V

Does turning the engine off, wait a minute, then turn on, fixes the issue for some time?
The vcds scan should still show some fault.

Does turning the engine off, wait a minute, then turn on, fixes the issue for some time?
The vcds scan should still show some fault.
Looking at other topics sometimes battery replacement helps … but I don’t recall any problems with mine

Might be worth changing the power steering fluid. As it's getting older, the pump might be having issues with it's flow. That'd explain why it's only intermittent.

On the other hand, the battery might still be the issue, as the 14.4v is definitely not accurate. It'd be around 12.4v, but not less than 12v, or the starter might've difficulties starting the engine. If you've checked it after driving the car, that shows the voltage charged by the alternator, so it's higher at first and slowly goes down to it's real value.
Check it hours later or when you drive the next day.

I was referring to voltage while the alternator is charging.

After I arrived at my stay for today did some checks:
1. Scanned all modules - no faults in ABS and any other than engine (but this is there always).,
2. I will check voltage in the morning - but there is no problem to start it etc.
3. About the issue: it occurs during steering at rough road up hill, sometimes for just a second (I get the beep and almost instantly power steering is back), and sometimes it went out for longer…
4. Checked in VCDS - steering angle sensor signal is changing as it should - when the wheel is in 0 the angle is 0.

I am guessing that while the car is bouncing on rough road some connection get worse and cuts off the supply…

I have to do another 1500km until I get home and will be able to take out the bumper and check the connections at HPU

1. Scanned all modules - no faults in ABS and any other than engine (but this is there always).,
2. I will check voltage in the morning - but there is no problem to start it etc.
3. About the issue: it occurs during steering at rough road up hill, sometimes for just a second (I get the beep and almost instantly power steering is back), and sometimes it went out for longer…
4. Checked in VCDS - steering angle sensor signal is changing as it should - when the wheel is in 0 the angle is 0.

I am guessing that while the car is bouncing on rough road some connection get worse and cuts off the supply…

I have to do another 1500km until I get home and will be able to take out the bumper and check the connections at HPU
Check the connections for sure, also if happens only uphill and sorts, changing the fluid is a good idea, as if it's old and gets thicker, the pump might've difficulty with constant flow.

Check the connections for sure, also if happens only uphill and sorts, changing the fluid is a good idea, as if it's old and gets thicker, the pump might've difficulty with constant flow.
Fluid was replaced about a year ago for Audi genuine one.

It's not an engine fault. When the steering on my car was non-functional there was no engine light.

Could this be a low voltage issue caused by extensive steering use with maybe a sub-ideal battery charge level?
I have had something similar with my 1.6FSI , the steering would go, warning on DIS and would happen intermittently. ...my issue was a weak battery. Fully charging the battery and the issue went away .

So after the night it is not bad
IMG_4001.jpeg

Back