Fuel consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.

maersk

For the last month or so I have had to make the (tedious) journey from god's own north to the Thames valley area.
For the first few trips I ran at 70-75 on our glorious motorway net and managed 58 mpg for each leg.
At the last visit I got totally p***** **f with the whole thing and thought B******s and increased the pressure on my right foot.
result record journey time. Cruising at 90mph and blasting past most traffic.
Then I'll be hornswaggled - 68 mpg.
I have repeated my 'experiment' this weekend.
Said it all along.
Cracking Car!
[24]

icon_smile_cool.gif

More momentum maybe?. Less acceleration up and down in traffic?.

Good figures though!.

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

:(
A2 1.4 TDI, 7500 Km on the clock (4.600 miles).
100% motorways at 55 mph: 56,5mpg
100% motorways at 100 mph: 42,5 mpg

I thought consumption should have been far better!!!!!

In addition I've read in this forum (in this and previous posts) that consumption is really what I expected when I ordered my car (from 58 to 68 mpg).

The audi dealer told me that I've to wait 10.000 km on the clock (6.200 miles). I hope so , but it seems strange to me.....

Now for all this reasons I'm confused a lot. Should I think that my has got a problem??

Any help/ideas/comment about this?????

:(:(:(

Mauro,
OpenSky, 1.4TDI

On the recent trip to the Social and the Holiday after we achieved 67mpg, this is based on the fuel used (fill-up to fill-up) we are very pleased with this.

even if we hoof-it still get 53+mpg excluding winter (winter is always less)

Lee and Sheridan,
TDI SE, Build 11/01, Dolphin Grey,
50% Brighter Bulbs : Original Audi 6 CD Changer (Fitted in proper location by me) : Rear drinks holder : Floppy Wiper : Centre Tray : Elasticated Belt System.
http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk18.htm

quote:Originally posted by msironi

:(
A2 1.4 TDI, 7500 Km on the clock (4.600 miles).
100% motorways at 55 mph: 56,5mpg
100% motorways at 100 mph: 42,5 mpg

I thought consumption should have been far better!!!!!

In addition I've read in this forum (in this and previous posts) that consumption is really what I expected when I ordered my car (from 58 to 68 mpg).

The audi dealer told me that I've to wait 10.000 km on the clock (6.200 miles). I hope so , but it seems strange to me.....

Now for all this reasons I'm confused a lot. Should I think that my has got a problem??

Any help/ideas/comment about this?????

:(:(:(

Mauro,
OpenSky, 1.4TDI

2 points. 1 is the skyroof. This adds a lot to the weight of the car (almost 1 person extra), and secondly 70-80 is the optimum speed for motorway cruising. You will get awful mpg at 100mph since the A2 isn't very aerodynamic

----------------------------------------------------------
In the land of Mordor where the shadows lie
http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk7.htm

Below is an extract taken from this website.
http://www.audiworld.com/news/01/A2TDI/content.shtml

Audi engineers have reduced the drag coefficient of the A2 1.2 TDI to a sensationally low cD = 0.25 - a figure that is currently not bettered by any other production car - despite its compact dimensions. The successful work performed by the aerodynamics engineers can be expressed as a simple equation: excellent basis + fine-tuning of detail features = Vorsprung durch Technik.

The rating for the rest of the range is 0.28 according to the A2 brochure.

Can you tell I'm bored[18]

A very poorly A2 at present! :(
robe.gif
1.4SE petrol. http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk14.htm

I have been keeping an eye on mine and have been pleased to see returns in the region of 39 / 40mpg - which I thought was good from a petrol.

I agree with you Rob Earl, one of the advantages of A2 is the fact that is VERY AERODYNAMIC.
My problem is that, for example, at 100mph I expected about 55mpg and at 55mph about 70mpg. I could accept 42mpg only in the city traffic and with many and many stop and go (and kick down).
I think these are realistic values compared with audi charts, with dealers' promises and, most of all, with other CHEAPER turbo diesel cars (and not too bad compared to A2) that can do normally 60 - 65 mpg in any condition. I accept that the opensky increase the car weight but this is not enough to explain this BAD CONSUMPTION of my car and the great differences between teorical values and real.

Please, 1.4 TDI owners, can you tell me your consumption values???

Mauro,
OpenSky, 1.4TDI

On a motorway run at about 75-80mph I achieved 64mpg, on a long combined run of mostly 60-65mph but some stop/start I got 67mpg (All recorded inc. cost,mpg,days etc) everyday comuting (round trip of 15 miles) 53mpg (warm weather) 48mpg (cold weather).

As for other cars doing 60-65 in any condition Id be very wary.. Audi claim high 70mpg but I get only mid 60mpg so with my driving if any manufacture claims that their car does 65mpg then id be looking to get a best of 50-55 tops (and this would be only on a long run)

Lee and Sheridan,
50% Brighter Bulbs : Original Audi 6 CD Changer (Fitted in proper location by me) : Rear drinks holder : Floppy Wiper : Centre Tray : Elasticated Belt System.

Rob,

Your correct, however I believe that these types of tests (Cd factors etc) are done at reasonable speeds. The thing with fluid dynamics is that you get different results at different pressures (or speeds in this case). From my memory, however please feel free to correct me, you get quite a linear curve of pressure v speed up until a certain speed (which is dependant on the shape of the object), and then after this Cd becomes irrelevant (lets call it the Cd Limit). You can get the same Cd factor for a Saloon car, that you get for a sports car, however the difference is the 'Cd limit' allows the sports car a higher top speed. They may even have the same engine (same output & efficiency), however at the same revs the sports car is going faster.
In case of the A2, it is very efficient within its 'Cd limit', however outside this it just acts like a brick - or so to speak.

Does that make any sense, or am I just talking out my a**e

Kaine

----------------------------------------------------------
In the land of Mordor where the shadows lie
http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk7.htm

***!

There are differsnt types of Drag - Form drag (shape), Surface friction Drag (how smooth affects when the laminar boundary layer seperates and becomes turbulent), interference drag (eg: flow over mirrors affects local flow over bodywork) and lift induced drag . there is an optimum speed for called miniumum drag speed and it's the oppostite of the power curve for aeroplanes.

Cd is based on frontal area which is why the 1.2 TDi is just 0.25 where the normal car is around 0.28 - the bigger tyred Sport A2 is even more draggy

Lukas

First A2 1.2 TDI in UK
Style pack + Chorus + Advance pack + winter wheels + iRiver MP3CD

http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/mar.htm

Mine has covered 18k now and has just loosened of nicely. Consumption has ropped steadily as the miles have gone on. Good news for you people with newer/lower milage examples.
I did get 74 pootling round wiltshire at a sunday drive 50 ish in March.
The aerodynamics of the shuttlecraft are excellent. That is why it is so quiet through the air and why the original Forth Bridge construction wiper was so damned loud!

icon_smile_cool.gif

quote:Originally posted by ecoangel
Cd is based on frontal area which is why the 1.2 TDi is just 0.25 where the normal car is around 0.28 - the bigger tyred Sport A2 is even more draggy

Cd is a coefficient. Total air resistance equals Cd times
frontal area. The 1.2 has a different rear spoiler, different
hubcaps, no air vents in the front. That's what makes the difference.
Actually, while the Cd is very good (even 0.28 is very good for such a short car), the air resistance is only average, because of the large frontal area.

Werner Huysegoms
1.4 TDi X-Tend

Other factors to affect fuel economy are:
* Tyre pressures - ours are kept at the top end of the recommended range.
* Non-standard (wider or lower profile) tyres.
* Tight wheel bearings
* How well run in the engine is - all different
* Precise power torque charactristics - again all slightly different
* How you drive - accelerate/ brake hard/gently
* Weight of car
* Roof rack
* Quality of fuel - Just meets or exceeds BS/ISO std
* Level run or lots of hills.
etc

Ian

2002 1.4 Petrol SE, silver with climate control.
Why are NEARLY all the A2s in Lichfield are silver ? ? ?

My average fuel consumption as noted on the DIS always says 52mpg or thereabouts... and this from mostly motorway driving, but also mostly at 90mph... I do reset it from time to time to check what will happen: one quiet night going home late, with empty M23, empty M25 and A13, I did 70mph ALL the way (up and down hills) and got 63mpg... next time working late I did the same but at 60mph and got home with the DIS saying 73,1mpg!!!

____________________________________________________________________________________
[img=left]http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/180225.jpg[/img=left]
2001 A2 TDI SE Crystal Blue with Open Sky, 6CD Symphony II, BOSE upgrade, DIS and HALF a winterpack!

iPAQ 3970 with Sat-Nav sleeve, rear cupholders, luggage net and floppy wiper!

http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk23.htm

Does the DIS (I assume this is what gives you the MPG readout) come as standard on a 1.4SE?

While driving my previous A2 1.4TDI and my current A2 1.4 TDI SE over the past 18 months, I have done around 25,000 miles. Most days I travel approximately 50 miles (25 miles to work in the centre of Manchester and home again) in rush hour along the A580, so very slowly. I average around 56mpg. The best mpg figure I have reached was on the single track roads of north west Scotland last summer when I got 72mpg, and averaged a speed of around 50mph.

By the way Maersk the speed limit in the Thames Valley is 70mph. Remember speed kills. Believe me I know!

Audi A2 TDI SE Azure Blue with Climate Control

New Beetle - DIS is not standard on an SE model (in the UK at least). A simple calculation on the number of miles done since last filling up the tank divided by the number of litres taken to fill the tank, multiplied by 4.55 gives an approximate miles per gallon reading.

Audi A2 TDI SE Azure Blue with Climate Control

I have a spreadsheet that works all this out and more and is being tested by members of this club and if all is OK then will be for use by A2OC members?

Lee and Sheridan,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back