Chat Hi All

Just collected our 05 plate 1.4TDI SE in Silver

Very much enjoyed our first long journeys in it over new year (particularly the 60+ mpg!).

We've got a couple of the, what appear to be, common issues to iron out, namely:

Random flasher ticking whilst driving, the indicators seem to work fine but every now and then the relay ticks away like crazy and then stops.. I've ordered a new unit and will fit that to see if it goes away.

Driver door cracks on opening, sounds like the check strap but that'll take a bit more investigation..

Does anyone have any good sources for service manuals or am I going to have to pay Haynes... again?

Anyways, nice to meet you all!

Chris

Last edited:
Hi Chris .... welcome to a2oc ... the crack on the door opening apparently is a common problem and something that was part of a recall to do with the check strap / fitting and was sorted by audi from what ive heard as we have the same issue on ours .. but im sure that you will find out more info on here if im wrong .. , im confident with the wealth of information and contacts you make on here you will not be needing a haynes manual lol .. we bought our a2 middle of 2014 and have been overwhelmed with the help and advice we have had from the people on here .. you wont find a better club spirit ...
Zipnjeff

Just collected our 05 plate 1.4TDI SE in Silver

Very much enjoyed our first long journeys in it over new year (particularly the 60+ mpg!).

We've got a couple of the, what appear to be, common issues to iron out, namely:

Random flasher ticking whilst driving, the indicators seem to work fine but every now and then the relay ticks away like crazy and then stops.. I've ordered a new unit and will fit that to see if it goes away.
It sounds like the usual problem, a replacement unit should fix it. I think you will laugh at the way you get to it!!!! The "Insert your hand into the "cubby hole", form a fist and PULL as hard as you can (after opening the ash tray) and assuming that you have a single DIN dash!

Driver door cracks on opening, sounds like the check strap but that'll take a bit more investigation.
Yes, another common fault, you may be able to repair the checkstrap if the rivets have broken (replacing them with nuts and bolts)

Does anyone have any good sources for service manuals or am I going to have to pay Haynes... again?
You won't find a Haynes manual for the A2 that will help you with anything, you need access to the Service manuals on CD, someone will hopefully give you the link?

Anyways, nice to meet you all!

Chris

Welcome to the wonderful world of the A2 and to a great Forum.

Photos please and we hope to see you at the next social!!!

Steve B

Hi Chris, welcome to the A2oc.

Check strap replacement is covered in this 'how to' - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?13059-Drivers-door-checkstrap

For info Zipnjeff's comment about the door cracks (actual cracks, not the noise it makes) relate to the front door shells showing small cracks propagating from the hinge mounting area. General opinion is it's more cosmetic than structural but in the early days Audi paid for doors to be repaired using a 'reinforcing' kit

Cheers Spike

Cheers Spike

I changed my drivers door check strap. Ordered from Richard at Stoke Audi. Very reasonable and a mate fitted it for twenty quid. Noise now gone.
The forum will keep you right. Loads of expertise on here.
Enjoy!

Welcome! If a new relay does not fix the issue swap indicator stalk - this worked for me albeit I swapped relay first!

Back