"Non-runner for years" 1.6 FSI worth buying?

larax

A2OC Donor
Hi Everyone!

Firstly thanks for letting me join to this group!

The reason I'm here to get some advice whether worth buying an A2 which wasn't used for years or not?!

Today I've been in Bradford to check out two Audi A2. (I'm currently living in Leeds)
One in light blue (maybe baby blue) and the other in silver colour.
Both 1.6 FSI model 2003. 03 reg number.

My concerns about the cars they weren't running for the last few years even the gentleman said it to me.

At the time I been there had no chance to test drive it. Lack of time but the seller let me to do it, anyway next time I most certainly will take it for a ride.

Before I book a mechanic to come out with me (since I know nothing about cars or if anyone would be able to come with me, I would be very grateful) and check them for me I would like to ask if it's even worth the effort to do so..

What would you guys say?

• Both was covered in dust.
  • Both car had it's brake discs corroded, I saw some corrosions on the callipers as well.
  • The silver car front grill wouldn't close all way. I believe I could just buy I new one.
  • The silver car had few scratch on it.

I assuming new brake discs and brake pads a must to buy things if I decide to buy one of them. I had a quick look on them everything around £100+.
And I still unsure which is the best for 1.6 FSI.

Other things I know of:

Blue:
Last tax 2014,
Last MOT 2016
100k miles.

Silver
Last Tax 03.2015,
Mot until 01.2020

Last MOT passed at 2014.

Had the cambelt changed at 97k currently it's on 107k.

So I'm sure both had a few years when they were just sitting in one place.

So just wondering is it worth all the effort? Or should I just keep looking until I find something it was in use everyday?

The asking price around £1400

It will be my first car..

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!

larax

Hi welcome to the A2OC :) personally I wouldn’t touch a 1.6fsi what has been sitting for years any car for that matter I don’t know whether you know or not but the 1.6fsi are known for engine problems for example fuel pressure what was my issue on my 1.6 fsi recently also this person is asking for £1400 that’s not a good price knowing the car has sat for years and has no MOT all sorts could be wrong if I was you stay clear

Good luck on your search

Sorry to be your bad news of the day

Thanks

price should be more like £300 for FSI's in that condition
Expect them to be a money pit as well unless you are capable of tinkering. The TDI is a much better bet in terms of reliability or the 1.4 petrol is next best

Hi, I have a FSi, great car when running properly. For that kind of money you would expect a decent service history and for it to be currently running. I wouldn't touch a FSi that has been stood for that long. You say it's your first car? I would go for a 1.4 or a TDi. You want a reliable car not something that being stood idle for so long will give you problems. Good luck Scott

Thank you for the quick reply. I was expecting for these bad news. So basically I will move on I'm not even check these cars any further. I rather waiting for a more reliable one probably a diesel one. Thanks again!

I would echo what the other guys said.
I recently bought an FSI, also have 2 x TDIs but it was the right price... just under £1k, right spec and full service history.
In last 18 months has had £2500 spent on it! Beware, if you want an FSI then buy a runner with FSH.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Thank you for the quick reply. I was expecting for these bad news. So basically I will move on I'm not even check these cars any further. I rather waiting for a more reliable one probably a diesel one. Thanks again!
The diesel is great and reliable - I have the Tdi 75hp and no problems in 2 years of ownership. The petrol 1.4 has a well known VW group engine that are familiar to garages/mechanics.

I would echo what the other guys said.
I recently bought an FSI, also have 2 x TDIs but it was the right price... just under £1k, right spec and full service history.
In last 18 months has had £2500 spent on it! Beware, if you want an FSI then buy a runner with FSH.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Just to clarify it had that money spent on it before I bought it!

Back